Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 AM
C-U C-U started this thread

5 posts, read 18,217 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to GR and want to know the best neighborhoods for real estate investment potential. I am seeing some really cheap houses in GR that seem too good to be true. They seem to be all over the central city. What areas are up and coming? What areas are down and out? I can do all kind of rehabbing so a dump in a better neighborhood is more attractive to me than a nicer house in a bad neighborhood. I would live in the house for awhile so safety is a bit of a concern. However, I am a single male and not afraid of much. I would want to avoid gang-controlled neighborhoods if that is an issue for GR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-U View Post
I am considering moving to GR and want to know the best neighborhoods for real estate investment potential. I am seeing some really cheap houses in GR that seem too good to be true. They seem to be all over the central city. What areas are up and coming? What areas are down and out? I can do all kind of rehabbing so a dump in a better neighborhood is more attractive to me than a nicer house in a bad neighborhood. I would live in the house for awhile so safety is a bit of a concern. However, I am a single male and not afraid of much. I would want to avoid gang-controlled neighborhoods if that is an issue for GR.
I would flip it around. There are basically two areas I'd stay clear of. The near Southeast side and the near Southwest side. The Grand Rapids Police Department has a feature on their website that shows crime pockets, and those areas consistently rank high. The rest of GR is fine.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=6274 (broken link)

Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
C-U C-U started this thread

5 posts, read 18,217 times
I understand the rationale for looking at bad areas to avoid but that does not really answer my question. Maybe I should phrase it another way....... Where are the new hot areas of the city? I am looking for the area with good investment potential. It does little good to rehab a house in a decent area that is stagnant. I am looking for the area(s) where people are moving in, investing money, and improving the neighborhood. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:51 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,873 times
Alger Heights and East Town are the areas I would invest in if I were to live in the city of Grand Rapids.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,062 times
I'd look at East Hills if you're looking for the new "hot" area.... but that's been hot for a few years now.

Downtown has been the hottest in terms of development of condos, but the profit potential is lacking in my opinion (I'd live there, but I wouldn't be looking to flip a condo any time soon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids metro area