Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

That is great.

I will also mention, as Grandparents get older, kids start to learn how to be helpers, and that is a role change for many kids, and I think it builds empathy. My son was with his Great Grandparents when he was 10, and they were 90, and he was the one who made lunch, and helped Grandma get around. She was his babysitter for years, but things started changing, and I think it made him a wonderful, caring, young man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not only did my grandparents frequently take care of my sister and me when we were little, they helped take care of my kids too! There is nothing like a pair of loving, doting grandparents ... my Gram would like nothing better than to hold a baby all night too, Annie. She loves babies and little kids, and they love her also.

My grandparents' 60th anniversary is today, and I've flown back to go to church and dinner with the rest of the clan as a surprise. Cherish the grandparents. OP, have a great time.
Wow, 60 years! Have a great time.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
There is something special about being taken care of by Grandma, she was always in less of a hurry, and never cared about doing chores or "getting things done" it was all about me, and what I wanted. We had root beer floats, just because. She read "Lady and the Tramp" over and over, just because..when I was sick, she snuggled me up in her big, soft bed, and gave me coke syrup with ice. She never got cross with me, or yelled at me.

I wish I could be a little kid again, at Grandma's house.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is something special about being taken care of by Grandma, she was always in less of a hurry, and never cared about doing chores or "getting things done" it was all about me, and what I wanted. We had root beer floats, just because. She read "Lady and the Tramp" over and over, just because..when I was sick, she snuggled me up in her big, soft bed, and gave me coke syrup with ice. She never got cross with me, or yelled at me.

I wish I could be a little kid again, at Grandma's house.
This post brings back memories. My Nanny would make me special cookies whenever I asked. Never tasted any as good. She always made me feel special.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
LOL. That's an interesting perspective.

Many, many infants wake round the clock. A one month old sleeping from 9 PM to 6 am is quite unusual.

My son slept through at 6 weeks, but not from 9 PM to 6 am. He had a feeding at midnight, iiRC. My dd also had at least one feeding during the night. The other thing is that kids have growth spurts where they wake up to eat. These growth spurts typically occur at 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months. The timing varies for different infants. Of course, my kids were much more awake during the day than many babies if the doctors are right that infants sleep 16 hours per day. Mine never did that. They slept a lot, but not 16 hours during the day.

8 INFANT SLEEP FACTS EVERY PARENT SHOULD KNOW (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070200.asp - broken link)
I don't know what's so interesting about it. The OP said the baby in question is sleeping through the night. It is a non-issue for this particular situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classygirl View Post
That's what I tried to tell her
Good post
I'm still waiting for you to explain why "it is never a good idea to leave an infant overnight."

ETA- and don't use the "I'm entitled to my opinion" excuse. Yes, you are. If you are going to make an "always" or "never" statement you should be able to back it up.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm still waiting for you to explain why "it is never a good idea to leave an infant overnight."
Isn't it obvious? It's because grandparents have no experience with kids.

I guess it all boils down to whether or not you trust your parents with your kids lives. I know I trust mine.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM

43 posts, read 132,136 times
We are back from our 1 night away, and our baby is as happy as a clam.

We are refreshed, and Grandma did a GREAT job (as expected!) I can tell she enjoyed her time with her grandson! She's offered to take him over-night once a month so hubby and I can squeeze in one date night a month. Without being asked, yes, she offered! (And for the record, my mom is a youthful 58 years old..)

We are extremely blessed! Thanks to all of you who offered your support! It was the best thing for all parties involved! (Although it was so hard at first to leave our little one. We did enjoy our one day to focus on each other, but are happy to have the family together again!)

Old 05-29-2011, 08:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post

We are refreshed, and Grandma did a GREAT job (as expected!) I can tell she enjoyed her time with her grandson! She's offered to take him over-night once a month so hubby and I can squeeze in one date night a month. Without being asked, yes, she offered! (And for the record, my mom is a youthful 58 years old..)

We are extremely blessed! Thanks to all of you who offered your support! It was the best thing for all parties involved! (Although it was so hard at first to leave our little one. We did enjoy our one day to focus on each other, but are happy to have the family together again!)
I am glad you were able to get refreshed. All parents need that occasionally. I am also happy that everything went well and you have a good support system in place.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunny View Post

I'm glad!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm glad!
Me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents