Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
americans dont care about english people one way or the other
speak for yourself--lol

I love the English---

Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,047 times
In short- - -

I hope to own a condo in the U.K in the future. I hope you guys like Americans. Lol
Hate is such a strong word and I only dislike one thing in life (Boston)

I'm a Yankees fan I know. . . kill me.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
americans dont care about english people one way or the other
I think that's true of some Americans. I think the main opinion of the British or English in America is "I like them", but it's probably followed by "I don't care." From what I know "I hate them" would probably be pretty far down the list. I don't even know of any Irish-Americans that hate the English.

Still I guess it's not totally non-existent. A Pew Survey of 2009 indicated 10% of Americans had an unfavorable view of Britain. As 77% had a favorable view this means around 13% were something in between or other. Although not non-existent it is the second lowest unfavorable rating among nations with Canada, despite what I thought, having lower unfavorable.

U.S. Seen as Less Important, China as More Powerful: Section 4: U.S. Allies and Country Favorability - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press (http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=1625 - broken link)

Gallup indicates unfavorability is lower than that in its February 2010 poll. They have just 7% of Americans viewing Britain in an unfavorable light.

In U.S., Canada Places First in Image Contest; Iran Last

Where is Britain unpopular? Well unfortunately I can only find polls on its leadership and these are referring to Brown. Mostly it seems to be the same places the US is unpopular, like the Mideast. However it seems like there are a few former British colonies, possibly Kenya or India, that like America a bit more than Britain. Also it seems like Spain, even though they disapprove of America just as much, has some anti-English sentiment.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stecuk View Post
There was an article in a British newspaper recently that said Americans deep down really hate the English. It say that President Obama has always been anti English and this is now showing in the way he always says British Petroleum rather than BP which it now is. It says Hollywood always casts the baddies with English accents, and gives a few examples of films which show the English in the same light as the Nazis ie Braveheart and The Patriot.
It then went on to say that an Englishman on holiday overheard a group of Americans who thought no one else was around slagging off the English in general. It says English and not British as the Irish and Scots seem to be liked. It ends saying that the so called special relationship is only in the minds of British politicians and that we should stop supporting America politically.

I hope that this view is wrong as I love America even though I have not been there yet, I am hoping to visit with my family next year. So do you Americans really dislike us or is this article complete rubbish.
[10 post to link off site]
I never heard anyone say anything hateful against the Brits. The bolded part made me laugh--here in the US black and Hispanic people say the same thing. They might have a case, but the idea that the bad guys always have English accents is pretty funny.

You will be fine, don't worry. What part of America will you be visiting?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
speak for yourself--lol

I love the English---
Same here. I would like to visit England. I like the history.

And the great-great grandparents who gave me my last name came here from Manchester in 1863.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Villains "often" have English accents because you want the villain to be smart so overcoming him/her is impressive. That may not seem like an explanation, but Americans fairly often associate an upper-class English accents with sophistication or brilliance. I doubt you'll see many villains in American movies having a Cockney or Yorkshire accent.

If you look at American movies for good-guy characters who are brilliant it's not unusual for them to have British accents too. For that matter it's not that unusual for Biblical epics to make Jesus or the Apostles sound British.

Now Mel Gibson is maybe a more specific case, but as mentioned Gibson is as Australian as he is American or more Australian than he is American. Also many of these are historical films. If you are going to show the values of sixteenth or even eighteenth century English they're going to look flawed to us pretty often. That would likely be even more true of Eighteenth France or Russia. So even if we did dislike the English of the eighteenth century I'm not sure that would mean much. Many of us criticize Americans of the eighteenth century for their treatment of slaves and indigenous peoples. In fact I remember a TV movie about Tecumseh that was largely sympathetic of his efforts to unite American Indian tribes to fight the USA. In a way the James Cameron movie "Avatar" is almost like Tecumseh's story, I mean if Tecumseh had been a white guy. And I think that was part of the appeal of Braveheart in this country, that he was the guy defending his land from invaders or something. Well also that he was the "Beautiful Loser", a person with a cause deemed *noble who nevertheless loses, which has some resonance in many cultures.

*I don't know that William Wallace's cause was all that noble, but I think it was cast as such.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Villains "often" have English accents because you want the villain to be smart so overcoming him/her is impressive. That may not seem like an explanation, but Americans fairly often associate an upper-class English accents with sophistication or brilliance. I doubt you'll see many villains in American movies having a Cockney or Yorkshire accent.

If you look at American movies for good-guy characters who are brilliant it's not unusual for them to have British accents too. For that matter it's not that unusual for Biblical epics to make Jesus or the Apostles sound British.

Now Mel Gibson is maybe a more specific case, but as mentioned Gibson is as Australian as he is American or more Australian than he is American. Also many of these are historical films. If you are going to show the values of sixteenth or even eighteenth century English they're going to look flawed to us pretty often. That would likely be even more true of Eighteenth France or Russia. So even if we did dislike the English of the eighteenth century I'm not sure that would mean much. Many of us criticize Americans of the eighteenth century for their treatment of slaves and indigenous peoples. In fact I remember a TV movie about Tecumseh that was largely sympathetic of his efforts to unite American Indian tribes to fight the USA. In a way the James Cameron movie "Avatar" is almost like Tecumseh's story, I mean if Tecumseh had been a white guy. And I think that was part of the appeal of Braveheart in this country, that he was the guy defending his land from invaders or something.
That is true--in a lot of older biblical movies some of the characters speak with British accents.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Wow, have you actually met any British people? Your post is downright disgusting IMO.
It's time to consider easing up on the sauce.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
While I have never had the opportunity to visit England, I did have the opportunity to serve beside British Armed Forces while on one of my tours of duty.
I enjoyed their company and found nothing to remotely deserve even a mild dislike as I even learned to like British tea with milk!

The vast majority of the men I worked with were exemplary, motivated individuals who were very good at their jobs, and a lot of fun to hit the pubs with.
In fact, I even received a certificate of appreciation from the British contingent, and was decorated by a British Brigader General. No reason for me to hate the British!

There are many reasons for one country to dislike another, but strangely in the case of the United States and Great Britan, it seems once we got done shooting at each other in 1815, we seem to have spent the rest of the time doing our best to be best friends.

I have several DVD's of the Benny Hill Show, he is still one of my favorite comedians. I enjoy British TV shows like Dr. Who and Primeval. I am always impressed how your country can make a low budget, almost campy TV show seem impressive and draw the audience into the story.

Obama may be president, but he doesn't reflect the views of a large segment of the American people, and yes I mean US Citizens.

I wouldn't think that any British citizen, Whether Brit, Scot, Welsh or Irish should ever be concerned about visiting the US.

The British press and the US press both seem to follow the creed of "if it bleeds, it leads" and if no conflict exists, then in the tradition of William Randolph Hurst who told his photographers to "give me the pictures, and I will give you a war", they will create a conflict out of thin air.

If we could stand and even make wealthy British bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hermans Hermits ad nausium, normal folks should have no problem. At least you speak the language, sort of. LOL!!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory - where is it, England or America?

From the glass wonka-vator, flying over the city, it looks like some bizzaro love-child of Liverpool and Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates