Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Though your (I assume parenthetical) question is largely irrelevant to my posts, I would assert that yes, the tattoos harm the chances of those who display them being taken seriously as adults capable of reasonably good judgement.

As to the vulgar and shallow inheriting the earth, we're just going to have to take our chances as a species and hope that the Homer Simpson mentality to which you refer does not indeed assume as important a philosophical and leadership role as you predict. Given the proclivity of many younger Americans today, it is probably more likely that their professional superiors will speak Mandarin or Spanish -- and be appalled at the physical defacements of their American underlings...

As I'm sure you know, Tattoos are actually quite normal within the richer, higher ranking Chinese families, factor in that the Triads have a multitude of legal international businesses as well and your Mandarin speaking superiors might very well sport more body art than their underlings.

You also completely missed the inherent meaning in what the previous poster said, namely that with tattoos becoming more and more mainstream, it won't be long before the people who think someone "lacks reasonably good judgment" simply based on a tattoo will be few and far between, as such, it will not hurt them, and even today it only "hurts" you if you take narrow minded opinions like that to heart, which I doubt very few level headed adults do.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Though your (I assume parenthetical) question is largely irrelevant to my posts, I would assert that yes, the tattoos harm the chances of those who display them being taken seriously as adults capable of reasonably good judgement.

As to the vulgar and shallow inheriting the earth, we're just going to have to take our chances as a species and hope that the Homer Simpson mentality to which you refer does not indeed assume as important a philosophical and leadership role as you predict. Given the proclivity of many younger Americans today, it is probably more likely that their professional superiors will speak Mandarin or Spanish -- and be appalled at the physical defacements of their American underlings...
Like it or not, the old die and the young get their chance. There's even a possibility that the President of the future will sport a full sleeve tattoo. Times change, my friend, and what people find acceptable changes along with it.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:09 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
It seems to be that only in America will you find people so openly hostile towards those with visible tattoos. There is a thriving tattoo culture in Europe, and it's barely even noticed by the older generation. It's a different culture, sure, but I wonder what it is that makes so many Americans more hateful than their European counterparts.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:47 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
This thread has long ago ceased to be a Great Debate of any sort.

Closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates