Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,565 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Do we sometimes judge though who work at fast food chains such as, cooks, cashiers or other service workers as being of less importance to society than those individuals who rank highly within the fortune five hundred companies, such as CEO, CFO Etc?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,785 times
Uhh, yeah!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Sometimes?

If you aren't a student, an aspiring actress you are on the face of it judged to being a failure of some degree (all though in the climate of the current recession you might be deemed to be as successful as a CEO in comparison to those without a job).

PS - Why do people feel a need to play with the fonts? Invariably they just make their post unreadable.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 PM

9 posts, read 37,047 times
I think we definitely do that. But why should we? We wouldn't have these services if no one was willing to do them. Where would we be without garbage men? That job looks like no fun and requires no higher education but is one of the most important jobs for society to continue to function.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,565 times
I agree with you Carolinagirl. [SIZE=3]We need to accept that no matter what, we will always have a hierarchy. We should really respect those who are seen in less important jobs because without those who are willing to be the garbage man, janitor ETC. we would throw off the system. We should praise them for getting up and taking those jobs for us so called “people who think they are too good for them.” Also, who is to say those people weren’t filthy rich and choose to do those job just to gain extra cash?[/SIZE]

Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willi752 View Post
[SIZE=3]Do we sometimes judge though who work at fast food chains such as, cooks, cashiers or other service workers as being of less importance to society than those individuals who rank highly within the fortune five hundred companies, such as CEO, CFO Etc?[/SIZE]
I guess i do...I maybe wrong but fast food jobs are more for high school or college kids, they use these jobs to get by until they start their career. I would never aim to work in lets say McDonalds all my life. Its a difference if they are striving to own the resturant. But it is almost impossible to earn enough to support a family working in a fast food spot. I would always encourage my kids to want more. Aim to own the business instead of just working there.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,797 times
You don't point out how hard it is to work one's way up to CEO. All of the education, expenses and efforts. I'll lay a dollar to a donut, many CEO's worked at fast food restaurants, or at minimum wage, sometime in their life.

Last edited by brien51; 10-26-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
You don't point out how hard it is to work one's way up to CEO. All of the education, expenses and efforts. I'll lay a dollar to a donut, many CEO's worked at fast food restaurants, or at minimum wage, sometime in their life.
I'll take that bet in a heart beat.

With the few exceptions of the Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and other Dot.com wiz kids most CEO's went to prestigious universities and got their MBA's at equally prestigious institutions like Wharton or Harvard Business School. Some got to where they were by even more freakish circumstances.

Cases in point.

Richard Fuld former CEO Lehman, After getting thrown out of the Navy for striking a superior officer he entered NYU's business school and immediately got a job as a trader.

James E. (Jimmy) Cayne got his job at Bear Sterns was a professional bridge player and was hired by fellow bridge player Alan Greenberg who was the Chairman of the Executive Committee.

Vikram Pandit got was a professor at Indiana University before going to work for Citigroup.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
But that doesn't give them any right to set themselves up as an elite class, above the laws of the land and responsible to nobody but themselves.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Of course people who work in this line of work are judged but the real issue that needs to be addressed is the fact that often times it is the CEO's, Owners and elite that frequent these restaurants while they are making thier way to to the top. It takes all people to really make a company successful and without those front line workers and "faces" of the company there would be no individuals whom rank highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates