Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Calories in must equal to or be less than calories consumed. If you have a psychiatric disorder that causes you to consume more calories than you should, see a shrink, take your meds, and get it under control, then lose the weight. Yes, it is that easy.

In fact it's probably easier for someone who gets put on a bunch of medications to lose weight than it is for those of us who maintain our weight the old fashioned way, watch what and how much we eat, get some excercise, and take responsibility for our bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
I get it. I am a bing eater, especially for my nerves since I don't smoke or drink. I love carbs, sugar, cheese, colas and ice cream. I was overweight when I was a kid - at a time no-one was. I get up hungry, go to bed hungry and wake up in the middle of the night hungry. But I am now within my correct body mass and know that more than 2,000 calories a day when I go to the gym - which is 6 days a week, will leave me gaining weight.

For those who are overweight, I get it. I am excluding the poster from these comments, but for most Americans, they just don't care. It is the type of food they eat, when they eat and the amount. Working in an office for 30 years, I remember how things changed. When I first started working, no one brought cakes and donuts for everyone. The Christmas party was a subdued affair. People brought their lunches. People ate less. They walked at lunch or read. When I retired, someone brought sweets for the group almost daily, people insisted on fast food for lunch, the Christmas party turned into an all day orgy of eating. And of course, everyone drives everywhere. Few, except for city dwellers, walk to get their groceries or walk to the library. It is our entire lifestyle that is off kilter.

Last edited by newhandle; 11-29-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 10:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's one thing to look at a thing as a "disease" when it fact it's not, it's a psychological condition, an addiction.

Binge eating is the "feel good" substitute for things which are missing in your life; namely, "feel good" chemicals which are released via other activities such as social interaction of a satisfying nature... the endorphines from satisfying exercise (not just grunting and sweating with effort, but satisfaction)... close family ties, etc, etc, etc.

There was an episode of Friends where one of them was dating a psychiatrist who made everyone kind of feel bad by calling them out on certain personal fears (it began as a casual comment). On his way out the door he looks at Monica, who used to be fat, as she's binging on cookies at the table. "Monica," he says chidingly, "They're cookies. They're not love."

It's just a bit from a show but there IS something to it; one merely needs to dig deep enough to fathom the WHY of it.

I used to be a magnificent specimen of health, naturally dense with muscle, athletic, light-hearted and just joyous about life in general. The first time I put on a little bit of weight was when I was young and in technical school for the military -- because military life still wasn't the amount of exercise I'd had back home on the farm. It was just ten pounds but I got soft.

Realizing I'd gotten soft, I devoted myself to the gym. I still put on weight but it was muscle -- quickly and easily, in a way bodybuilders envy.

I stayed that way for YEARS, until I got married to a woman who made my life absolutely wretched -- and slowly the binge began to become part of my world. For the first time in my life I got genuinely FAT.

It lasted a while, then diminished once I got divorced, returning to normal as I was young and still able to get back out there and exercise.

Then, after returning to the States, I got into a relationship which turned out to be amazingly stressful -- and within a matter of a couple of months I'd put on nearly 40 pounds.

That's suicidal. Everyone called me "lazy" except for one guy who kept asking me if everything was okay. He recognized the sickness for what it was: Psychological. Unfortunately I was living in denial, something that's easy to do when a person is desperate for a thing to work despite that it's quite broken (in this case, that relationship).

Over the next three years more and more damage was done. The relationship was unhealthy and more damage was piling up on me. Food was my solace, my "go-to, feel-good" place. Pizza was my stress-reliever. I worked a desk job. Driving a computer all day made doughnuts delightful, sugary snacks all too easy to access.

When I finally was activated by the Guard and went to Iraq I actually DROPPED about 60 pounds and felt GOOD for the first time in forever. The war and the time, the distance... they enabled me to walk away from that relationship -- but the problem wasn't fixed because I'd only gotten OUT of a thing I didn't know why I'd gotten INTO in the first place.

As soon as I returned home I didn't take time to balance myself out, gain control. Instead I pitched myself into another relationship as quickly as I could. It turned out to be the absolute worst one of all -- because my problems were still my problems.

Food was merely a band-aid on my psyche; my obesity an outward manifestation of all the things inside me.

Some few months ago I finally wrapped my head around my personal problems. I'm still trapped in a horrible marriage, held now by a son whom I adore and will not leave -- but I've finally realized the kinds of things *I* was doing to myself by allowing stress to enter my life uncontrollably. The stress was killing me, quite literally killing me and aside from my son FOOD was the only thing that made me feel good.

Since July I've dropped about 15 pounds or so without even trying. This is SOLELY because I finally began to focus on the necessary things in life, stop worrying about the things I cannot possibly change. As my stress has slowly diminished some weight has fallen away, plain and simple.

Since last month beginning a course to help steer myself into a new career I've had a few solid work days where I stayed physically busy -- and my pants have gotten fairly loose on me. I'm still MUCH too large, nearly 100 pounds overweight; but I'm on the slow road to recovery.

At home I'm still eating the things I want, ANYTHING I want -- but I'm cutting the amounts down, eating more slowly, taking time to chew and savor so that I'm satisfied before my plate is empty, let alone before I get up and fill it a second time.

OP:

While there ARE, undeniably, myriad factors involved, the bottom line which NO doctor will argue with is that fewer calories consumed and more calories burned WILL remove weight from you -- period.

You can tell yourself all sorts of things to justify that it's somehow "beyond your ability to control"; but the only person hurt by that FALSE belief is YOU.

It WON'T be a quick fix; it WON'T happen overnight.

But it WILL happen if you just keep pushing AND if you sit down and really get to the bottom of your binge habit.

We all love food. I enjoy the last bite as much as I enjoyed the first.

It's NOT the food doing this to you. It's you -- and YOU have to figure out why.

Observe the events leading up to a binge. Keep a diary each and every day, talk about your feelings to this diary, and when you finally give in and binge NOTE THE TRENDS.

Once you get some form of data, analyze it; get control of it, and you'll find that your binges begin to fade away.

You can justify your current state, or you can TAKE YOUR LIFE BACK.

Stick with it, keep exercising, keep it up, never quit -- but also don't fool yourself into thinking this is something other than what it is. I'm NOT saying it's simply weakness; I'm saying you have to recognize the real problem underlying the outward manifestation, and once you do, you'll start being able to better deal with it.

Good luck.
Outstanding post and excellent advice!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
This post is directed at general ignorance in our society and not any one individual person in CD.

I understand what I am about to post is very personal to me, may be controversial and most of you may not understand it. However, it is on my mind a lot and I feel the need to express my feelings and opinions on the matter...I do not understand why the majority of the U.S. population is overweight or obese, yet there is a general mentality among the general population that it is as simple as a lack of individual willpower.

I am a morbidy obese male at 380 pounds. Despite what many may think of me, my weight problem is largely medical in nature. For example, I am in physical therapy right now for walking difficulties. My therapist actually finds me HIGHLY MOTIVATED despite my disturbingly high weight. When the therapists says do 8 minutes on the hand bike, I do 10. When he tells me to go on the Nustep Machine at level 5, I do level 6. Always at least a little more than what he says is necessary. Why? I want to get better and if I can still physically do more, I will do it.

However, other medical problems get in the way of proper weight management. First of all, I am a Binge Eater. It is an eating disorder that the pycological community is well aware of. In fact, I believe it will be in the next DSM, the index of all psycological disorders. Basically, the sufferer has VERY POWERFUL urges to overeat until it is physically impossible to eat anymore. One with this Binge Eating Disorder or BED downs food very rapidly and for a short time, the binge is very pleasurable, despite knowing it is destructive. (A top Bariatric doctor in New York once told me overcoming this disorder is even harder than an alcoholic overcoming alcoholism due to the fact that unlike an alcoholic, one has to eat. One can't simply stay away from temptations like an alcholic can avoid alcohol-serving establishments.) Anyway, after the binge is over the sufferer feels depressed and ashamed of their actions, which is why they often binge alone. As someone who had dealt with this disorder, I understand it all too well. Note: It is only after a year of professional help that I have only recently got some degree of control over my urges to overeat.

Secondly, yes, not all obese indivduals are binge eaters or even emotional or psychological overeaters. But the body is DESIGNED TO EAT and CONSUME. It goes back to the days when we were caveman and we had to store food during times of famine. Problem is that this is no more famine. Outside of these times of famine, two top bariatric doctors told me that our bodies are actually designed to gain 10 pounds a year, for those times of famine. Also, after we do gain weight, internal mechanisms ensure that it is very rare that someone can lose weight for more than 1 1/2 years. That is why when people get bariatric surgery and dramatically lose weight, they stop losing the weight after 18 months! That is why they lose the majority but not all of excess body fat. The MDs have told me that the medical community does not understand exactly why this happens, but the body just will not lose anymore weight past 18 months.

As for people who lose weight for up to 18 months without surgery, they tend to regain it back after 18 months. Out of 100 people that try to lose 100 pounds...5 will succeed and 1 will keep it off. Why? The body is designed to eat,consume and gain weight NOT lose it. Medical research into the subject time and time again shows us how much the odds are against the individual to lose weight and keep it off. This is true even for the most determined of all dieters. You can just say "they did not keep it up and lost willpower." Sorry, but the medical community is not looking at it like that anymore. The problem is that the general public still does and this is preventing us from further developing better treatments for obesity.

My story...When I reached 360 pounds in 2006, I went on a diet prescribed by a professional mainstream nutritionist. I followed it to a T. I began to exercise a little bit, then more, then became a gym rat. I would get 1 hour and 30 minutes of vigorous cardio, but strength training every other day. I became popular in the gym partially because my exercise routine was so successful. I dropped 120 pounds and went down to 240 pounds. I was happy as a kid on Christmas. I could finally do things that I could not do in a long time. In fact, at 28, I was in the best shape of my life. I even did a lot of hiking, which I really missed doing when I was too heavy. I really actually ENJOYED THE CARDIO WORKOUTS! I loved the endorphine rush.

However, after 18 months, I started to have my old problems of binge eating. No matter how much I loved the cardio or wanted to stay within a reasonable weight, I REGAINED ALL MY WEIGHT BACK AND AN EXTRA 20 POUNDS WITHIN two years. The desire to eat was VERY powerful and only then did doctors explain to me that my brain chemistry or some other internal mechanism is not letting me to continue to lose weight anymore. I am now being told that although the eater disorder may be a root cause, it is far from the only cause. Brain chemistry, genetics (my mother is obese), metabolism, etc. are part of a series of factors at play that determine what someone weights. NOT WILLPOWER ALONE. I can not weight to see if I can get back into shape again. I dream of being 240 again and walking again. Since I had two back surgeries, my back cannot support my weight for walking anymore. Watching a nature show burns me up with anger and depresses me, because it just reminds me of what I can't, though really want to do. I can not go shopping, climb stairs, hike, ski, swim, walk around the mall, walk in a park, etc. largely due to this DISEASE. Yes, it is a disease and a condition, NOT a matter of me not being able to put down a fork. If it was as simple as a lack of willpower I would probably be a marathon runner...People do not assume that when they see me. They are usually still in the stage of "he's fat and lazy and does not want to even move." I want to get up. I want to exercise, but I am going up against thousands of years of evolution.

Now I know some lazy people that do not exercise. They are either skinny or 15 pounds overweight. Yes, there may be some people like that. They often have genetic or biological factors on their side though. However, when you see someone 100+ pounds overweight, that is a MEDICAL CONDITION and NOT A LACK OF GENERAL WILLPOWER. Why does the average Joe think that a 380 pound man can not even put down a fork or does not even know how to eat properly? Why do people think the explanation is that simple when more and more people are having that condition? When more than half of the population has a medical condition like being overweight (though not necessarily by 100 pounds) you would think that people would be able to grasp that something else is going on. Why is there not more public awareness about this matter? That kind of ignorance is not helpful to developing better treatments towards obesity. (though I am slightly hopeful that the new Contrave drug will be approved by the FDA on December 7th. It may be able to allow weight loss past the 12-18 month limit should the drug be approved) I just do not understand how so many people can be so clueless about weight issues. ( I was VERY disappointed to read other postings in CD on weight issues.) Why do people know so little but have such strong opinions on weight issues?
A gunnery sergeant would say "I'm hearing excuses." Not necessarily me, but a gunnery sergeant.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,660,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Type A super high metabolic people have their problems too. They tend to burn out really, really fast.

20yrsinBranson
That is totally true. I have type A metabolism (runs in the family), we are all the tall, skinny type. No matter how much I eat, I never gain weight and struggle to stay at 160. The problems with this is event though I dont crave salty and meaty foods, I crave dairy and bakery desserts and pasta like crazy! Eat them all the time and feel burned out afterwards. High cholesteral and blood pressure does run in my family, so yes, I do need to be better at watching what I eat and I do get my excercise in come hell or high water.

My take on the obesity problem is this: I have many friends that are overweight and bordreline obease. I notice they do tend to crave salty, spicey, and meaty foods much more than I do and many of them seem to have more energy than me throughout the day! However, in the evening, after a meal, even though I feel tired I always go for a long walk or jog. If I am visiting a friend, I will ask if they would like to join me. No takers, ever! (maybe they want to get away from me for a while ) Most people that I know that are overweight, never have an excercise routine or get the recommended amount of physical activity. If you are overweight and going to the gym, kudos to you, but I do not get why people these days fear physical activity! I know that I need to keep my cholestroal in check and even though I may feel tired or the windchill may be 20 below (i live in Minnesota) I just go out and get my workout in and feel great afterwards! After doing my workout rouine every night for many years, I cannot fathom just sitting around all evening after being in the office and car all day. I understand that some may have underlying health reasons etc. as to why they cannont excercise daily, but there are way too many people that I know personally that quite capable of working out 1/2 hour a day and if they did would probably be a normal weight, but just will not do it!
I mean, if I can go out in January with wind and snow blowing in my face for 1/2 hour, why cant someone in a warmer area like Mississippi (the most obese state) go out in the nice weather and get a jog or walk in? If you have the answer, by all means, enlighten me.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
This post is directed at general ignorance in our society and not any one individual person in CD.

I understand what I am about to post is very personal to me, may be controversial and most of you may not understand it. However, it is on my mind a lot and I feel the need to express my feelings and opinions on the matter...I do not understand why the majority of the U.S. population is overweight or obese, yet there is a general mentality among the general population that it is as simple as a lack of individual willpower.

I am a morbidy obese male at 380 pounds. Despite what many may think of me, my weight problem is largely medical in nature. For example, I am in physical therapy right now for walking difficulties. My therapist actually finds me HIGHLY MOTIVATED despite my disturbingly high weight. When the therapists says do 8 minutes on the hand bike, I do 10. When he tells me to go on the Nustep Machine at level 5, I do level 6. Always at least a little more than what he says is necessary. Why? I want to get better and if I can still physically do more, I will do it.

However, other medical problems get in the way of proper weight management. First of all, I am a Binge Eater. It is an eating disorder that the pycological community is well aware of. In fact, I believe it will be in the next DSM, the index of all psycological disorders. Basically, the sufferer has VERY POWERFUL urges to overeat until it is physically impossible to eat anymore. One with this Binge Eating Disorder or BED downs food very rapidly and for a short time, the binge is very pleasurable, despite knowing it is destructive. (A top Bariatric doctor in New York once told me overcoming this disorder is even harder than an alcoholic overcoming alcoholism due to the fact that unlike an alcoholic, one has to eat. One can't simply stay away from temptations like an alcholic can avoid alcohol-serving establishments.) Anyway, after the binge is over the sufferer feels depressed and ashamed of their actions, which is why they often binge alone. As someone who had dealt with this disorder, I understand it all too well. Note: It is only after a year of professional help that I have only recently got some degree of control over my urges to overeat.

Secondly, yes, not all obese indivduals are binge eaters or even emotional or psychological overeaters. But the body is DESIGNED TO EAT and CONSUME. It goes back to the days when we were caveman and we had to store food during times of famine. Problem is that this is no more famine. Outside of these times of famine, two top bariatric doctors told me that our bodies are actually designed to gain 10 pounds a year, for those times of famine. Also, after we do gain weight, internal mechanisms ensure that it is very rare that someone can lose weight for more than 1 1/2 years. That is why when people get bariatric surgery and dramatically lose weight, they stop losing the weight after 18 months! That is why they lose the majority but not all of excess body fat. The MDs have told me that the medical community does not understand exactly why this happens, but the body just will not lose anymore weight past 18 months.

As for people who lose weight for up to 18 months without surgery, they tend to regain it back after 18 months. Out of 100 people that try to lose 100 pounds...5 will succeed and 1 will keep it off. Why? The body is designed to eat,consume and gain weight NOT lose it. Medical research into the subject time and time again shows us how much the odds are against the individual to lose weight and keep it off. This is true even for the most determined of all dieters. You can just say "they did not keep it up and lost willpower." Sorry, but the medical community is not looking at it like that anymore. The problem is that the general public still does and this is preventing us from further developing better treatments for obesity.

My story...When I reached 360 pounds in 2006, I went on a diet prescribed by a professional mainstream nutritionist. I followed it to a T. I began to exercise a little bit, then more, then became a gym rat. I would get 1 hour and 30 minutes of vigorous cardio, but strength training every other day. I became popular in the gym partially because my exercise routine was so successful. I dropped 120 pounds and went down to 240 pounds. I was happy as a kid on Christmas. I could finally do things that I could not do in a long time. In fact, at 28, I was in the best shape of my life. I even did a lot of hiking, which I really missed doing when I was too heavy. I really actually ENJOYED THE CARDIO WORKOUTS! I loved the endorphine rush.

However, after 18 months, I started to have my old problems of binge eating. No matter how much I loved the cardio or wanted to stay within a reasonable weight, I REGAINED ALL MY WEIGHT BACK AND AN EXTRA 20 POUNDS WITHIN two years. The desire to eat was VERY powerful and only then did doctors explain to me that my brain chemistry or some other internal mechanism is not letting me to continue to lose weight anymore. I am now being told that although the eater disorder may be a root cause, it is far from the only cause. Brain chemistry, genetics (my mother is obese), metabolism, etc. are part of a series of factors at play that determine what someone weights. NOT WILLPOWER ALONE. I can not weight to see if I can get back into shape again. I dream of being 240 again and walking again. Since I had two back surgeries, my back cannot support my weight for walking anymore. Watching a nature show burns me up with anger and depresses me, because it just reminds me of what I can't, though really want to do. I can not go shopping, climb stairs, hike, ski, swim, walk around the mall, walk in a park, etc. largely due to this DISEASE. Yes, it is a disease and a condition, NOT a matter of me not being able to put down a fork. If it was as simple as a lack of willpower I would probably be a marathon runner...People do not assume that when they see me. They are usually still in the stage of "he's fat and lazy and does not want to even move." I want to get up. I want to exercise, but I am going up against thousands of years of evolution.

Now I know some lazy people that do not exercise. They are either skinny or 15 pounds overweight. Yes, there may be some people like that. They often have genetic or biological factors on their side though. However, when you see someone 100+ pounds overweight, that is a MEDICAL CONDITION and NOT A LACK OF GENERAL WILLPOWER. Why does the average Joe think that a 380 pound man can not even put down a fork or does not even know how to eat properly? Why do people think the explanation is that simple when more and more people are having that condition? When more than half of the population has a medical condition like being overweight (though not necessarily by 100 pounds) you would think that people would be able to grasp that something else is going on. Why is there not more public awareness about this matter? That kind of ignorance is not helpful to developing better treatments towards obesity. (though I am slightly hopeful that the new Contrave drug will be approved by the FDA on December 7th. It may be able to allow weight loss past the 12-18 month limit should the drug be approved) I just do not understand how so many people can be so clueless about weight issues. ( I was VERY disappointed to read other postings in CD on weight issues.) Why do people know so little but have such strong opinions on weight issues?
Have you considered Stomach stapling/band ? I have a long time friend who had it done and she dropped 110 lbs and now looks like an average sized woman . Her appetite is all but gone and she feels great. I used to have to run around in the shower to get wet when i was a young adult but now im 56, Im needing to loose 45 lbs and ill start on 1-1-11 ...luckily im 6'4" and hide it pretty well . I once lost 42 lbs in 7 months on the Seattle Sutton Diet food plan with regular excersise, but this time im going to attempt doing it eating store bought Lean Cruisine frozen dinners and simular . I want to loose the weight before dietbetis comes knocking on the door plus I want my energy and vitality back. Good luck to both of us.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:28 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default I have the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
My take on the obesity problem is this: I have many friends that are overweight and bordreline obease. I notice they do tend to crave salty, spicey, and meaty foods much more than I do and many of them seem to have more energy than me throughout the day! However, in the evening, after a meal, even though I feel tired I always go for a long walk or jog. If I am visiting a friend, I will ask if they would like to join me. No takers, ever! (maybe they want to get away from me for a while ) Most people that I know that are overweight, never have an excercise routine or get the recommended amount of physical activity. If you are overweight and going to the gym, kudos to you, but I do not get why people these days fear physical activity! I know that I need to keep my cholestroal in check and even though I may feel tired or the windchill may be 20 below (i live in Minnesota) I just go out and get my workout in and feel great afterwards! After doing my workout rouine every night for many years, I cannot fathom just sitting around all evening after being in the office and car all day. I understand that some may have underlying health reasons etc. as to why they cannont excercise daily, but there are way too many people that I know personally that quite capable of working out 1/2 hour a day and if they did would probably be a normal weight, but just will not do it!
I mean, if I can go out in January with wind and snow blowing in my face for 1/2 hour, why cant someone in a warmer area like Mississippi (the most obese state) go out in the nice weather and get a jog or walk in? If you have the answer, by all means, enlighten me.
The answer is that Americans in general have become spoiled and lazy, especially in the physical sense. They have been brought up to believe that making any physical effort is just too much of a demand on them, and therefore not normal. It is sick, but that's the way it is.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:36 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Newhandle said it all in a nutshell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
For those who are overweight, I get it. I am excluding the poster from these comments, but for most Americans, they just don't care. It is the type of food they eat, when they eat and the amount. Working in an office for 30 years, I remember how things changed. When I first started working, no one brought cakes and donuts for everyone. The Christmas party was a subdued affair. People brought their lunches. People ate less. They walked at lunch or read. When I retired, someone brought sweets for the group almost daily, people insisted on fast food for lunch, the Christmas party turned into an all day orgy of eating. And of course, everyone drives everywhere. Few, except for city dwellers, walk to get their groceries or walk to the library. It is our entire lifestyle that is off kilter.
This is exactly it! You have given specific examples from your work environment to flesh out (pun intended) what I was saying in my post #19 on page two, namely that our eating habits and our activity habits have changed in very fundamental ways. Not only are the ubiquitous donuts and cakes high in sugar, but they are high in fat too. You are right; people just don't care! We have become a totally self-indulgent society.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times
I was a binge eater since, well, as long as I can remember. As a little kid, I'd sneak food whenever possible. As a teenager, I exercised daily for hours to stay within a normal weight because I couldn't stop binging to save my life. As a wife and mother, I kept food from my family. I went to multiple grocery stores because I bought so much junk food it was embarrassing. Food was on my mind all day. So ask me if food can become an addiction and I'll say heck yeah!

The only way I was able to overcome the binging was to cut out grains. In the past I had tried cutting out processed foods, gluten grains, and high fructose corn syrup - basically I stuck with natural ingredients. My food cravings were still on the loose, so I cut out all grains. Bingo! Binge eating went away.

I can now keep some of the foods in the house that I used to binge on, like salami, bacon and liverwurst, without binging. It must have been the bread that I used to eat with these foods that made me crave more and more. I also don't have cravings for candy (and I used to eat bags of the stuff every day). I don't know if it's cutting out the grains or cutting down on carbs (went from 300+g/day to under 100g), but maybe this is something for obese people to try.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM

419 posts, read 868,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Working in an office for 30 years, I remember how things changed. When I first started working, no one brought cakes and donuts for everyone. The Christmas party was a subdued affair. People brought their lunches. People ate less. They walked at lunch or read. When I retired, someone brought sweets for the group almost daily, people insisted on fast food for lunch, the Christmas party turned into an all day orgy of eating. And of course, everyone drives everywhere. Few, except for city dwellers, walk to get their groceries or walk to the library. It is our entire lifestyle that is off kilter.
Things have changed for the worse, even with all this health info out there nowadays. The temptation to eat junk food is practically everywhere we turn. Heck, in my kid's class alone there's someone's birthday to celebrate almost every week. And the celebratory food is always cupcakes or cookies, washed down with juice or soda. It's sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates