Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is exactly that simple. You have a brain and a body. You are in charge of both. Not aliens from another planet or dimension. Not the 6 o'clock news. Not your mother. You and only you decide what goes into your mouth. You have the ultimate power over what happens. In fact, you are the only person who does.
Just like diabetics are in charge of their blood sugar and blind people are in charge of their eyesight?

We're not talking to kindergartners here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM

I don't think you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Because people eat crap and don't move anymore.

OK, so why isn't everyone overweight?

Barring a very select minority who have freaky thyroid, disease or medication problems being obese is because of eating too much and not exercising enough. Willpower (or lack thereof) plays very strongly into this equation.

So that means thin people have willpower and overweight people don't?

Let's put that to the test. If this is true then:

The boy on the left does not know the correct things to eat.
The boy on the right is conscious of his daily calories. When he is offered any treats, the first question he asks himself is "Will my pants feel tighter on me if I eat this?" He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left makes unwise choices: He chooses cookies, brownies, ice cream, crackers, pizza, fried chicken, and butter.
The boy on the right wisely chooses and measures out 1/2 melon, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 6 ounces lean chicken, 2 cups lettuce, 6 ounces of skim milk, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, one slice of whole wheat bread with no butter, and light dressing. His snack is a measured 4 ounces of apple sauce and one slice of cheese. On weekends he may splurge and eat two strawberries. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left watches TV and video games
The boy on the right uses his stop watch to get 20-30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise on most days of the week. He measures his heart rate too. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left looks at a bowl of cookies and eats nine of them
The boy on the right looks at a bowl of cookies and walks away, realizing they will make him overweight. He has learned to make wise choices.

The boy on the left chews his food one time and then swallows.
The boy on the right chews his food 17 times then swallows because he knows it takes 20 minutes for his stomach to feel full. He has learned to make wise choices.

Bull. If you eat well, engage in rigorous cardiovascular exercise and build up your muscles (which burns even more calories) then you can burn off whatever you want to.

You're right. Too bad it is completely irrelevant to the original post.

Because they fall back into bad habits.

And thin people are thin because they don't?

Get your psychological problem under control and stop trying to rationalize your own failings. You did it to yourself and you can pull yourself out of this. If you don't you will have a miserable life and die young.

Sorry bud, but you are wrong again. Do you tell blind people it's their fault for being blind?

These things have an affect, but they are not set in stone. A person with a slow metabolism might have to fight harder, but they can do it.

Again, irrelevant.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why do people know so little but have such strong opinions on weight issues?

People who are healthy twist your unhealthiness into a strength vs. weakness, character vs no character, me vs you issue. It makes them feel better about themselves: "You weak - I am strong, you are wrong, I am right, you are stupid and make dumb decisions, I am smart and make the correct decisions."

Old 12-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post

I am absolutely certain they are depressed and that's why they eat so much and so badly.
You got it backwards. People don't eat too much because they are depressed; they are depressed because they eat too much.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Calories in must equal to or be less than calories consumed. If you have a psychiatric disorder that causes you to consume more calories than you should, see a shrink, take your meds, and get it under control, then lose the weight. Yes, it is that easy.
Just like winning the lottery is that easy - all you have to do is pick the right numbers.

One problem though - 95% or more people fail at something that is "that easy".

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
V
Pleading from relief from the "ignorance" of society for something you did to yourself, all the while jacking up healthcare costs for everyone else seems pretty ignorant to me. Must everyone have their own damned pity brigade these days?
You don't get it either. You aren't him so you don't understand his problem yet you project your physiology's behaviors onto him.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Bottom line, the plain truth is that MOST weight problems are caused by consuming more calories than you burn. You can argue that one until you're blue in the face, and throw the small percentage of the population with true medical issues at us until hell freezes over, but it won't change the fact that for nearly all fat people -- including you the OP -- the cause is if you eat more calories than you need, you will gain weight.

That covers about 97% of the obese population. I don't see why that's so difficult to grasp. You're a 400 lb person because you won't stop putting food in your mouth.

Nobody is arguing this point. It goes a step deeper. Why do some people have the need to put more food in their mouth?

Solve that problem and you'll be a billionaire.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Nobody ever said it's easy to lose weight, however it is very simple.
So is winning the lottery.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post

It's pretty damn simple: Stop eating so much and get off of your ass!

Does anyone else find it absolutely repulsive that in MOST non-western countries around the world large portions of the population are malnourished and nearly emaciated while gluttonous Americans have cased an obesity EPIDEMIC?
Wrong again.

It's a lot more complicated than that. I find it absolutely repulsive your insensitivity to the original poster's problem.

You actually think you are helping the guy out?

Old 12-09-2010, 10:36 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You got it backwards. People don't eat too much because they are depressed; they are depressed because they eat too much.
Not in the case of my family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates