Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
And no, Canada would never join the US. The ethos of each national and very different.
There are plenty of reasons that Canada would not join the U.S. but national ethos is not one of them.

I certainly am not for super-states like the U.S. and E.U. so I am not in support of a Canada/U.S. merger, but do you really think the two countries are so ethically and/or socially different that they could not get over some micro-philosophical divide?

If Massachusetts and Utah can exist in the same super-state, I'm sure the U.S. and Canada could make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are plenty of reasons that Canada would not join the U.S. but national ethos is not one of them.

I certainly am not for super-states like the U.S. and E.U. so I am not in support of a Canada/U.S. merger, but do you really think the two countries are so ethically and/or socially different that they could not get over some micro-philosophical divide?

If Massachusetts and Utah can exist in the same super-state, I'm sure the U.S. and Canada could make it work.
Although many Canadians would strongly disagree, I have to agree with this. Many Canadians think that something magically changes as soon as you cross the border, but this has not been my observation. Many areas of Canada (with some exceptions) very closely resemble neighbouring areas of the U.S., in lifestyle, mentality, culture and (yes!) even political leanings in some cases.

The more conservative parts of Canada (southern Alberta) tend to border conservative parts of the U.S. (Montana, Idaho), and more liberal parts of the States like Vermont tend to border more liberal parts of Canada like Quebec.

The levels of conservatism and liberalism can vary and it is not a seamless fit, but the similarities are there and cannot honestly be ignored.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:34 PM

93 posts, read 170,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I have to say this reply strikes me as ignorant. What do you base this opinion on? Do you know any Canadians? Have you ever lived in Canada? Do you read any Canadian newspapers or magazines? The ethos are very different and the political structure is quite different. I think you need to take more time to learn about Canada.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:00 PM

166 posts, read 229,821 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, in fact I gasped upon reading that. Cheap money from the EU is partly what caused all the problems in the first place. The cheap money was part of the eu carrot and stick approach to entice the nation state's to give up some of the freedom's one piece at a time. The cheap money flooding the nation states, like Ireland, gave them a false economy that could not be sustained. The workers' rights laws on the books in Ireland and UK are fair and ethical, and those rights were there before the EU came along. That was nothing to do with EU. Worker rights in Ireland comes from the blood and sweat of Irish men and women, such as James Larkin, not from the EU. And no, Canada would never join the US. The ethos of each national and very different.
Cheap credit caused some of the problems.

The lion's share of the blame can only be apportioned to Irish bankers, property developers and politicians.
The politicians cut taxes and raised spending, while extolling the virtues of 'light touch regulation' (i.e. letting the bankers run riot). Not for nothing was the Irish Financial Services Centre known as the wild west of European banking.
The Irish boom and bust cannot be blamed on the EU.

With regard to your other points

- You are mistaken on the nature of EU structural funding, to describe it as a carrot and stick approach is inaccurate.
- Ireland has not lost any freedom, nor have workers' rights been eroded.

If anything they have been strengthened, and Ireland has become a more free society since joining the EU (or EEC as it was then).

@ the OP:
I'm not sure if either country would agree to it. I don't think it's necessary for either the US or Canada. They enjoy good relations and I would guess that the majority of citizens in each country are happy for it to remain like that.
It's an interesting idea though.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM

93 posts, read 170,792 times
This is off topic.
Do you live in the British Isles or Europe?
It doesn't come across as your opinion, it looks like something you lifted off the internet somewhere.
the mod will probably, and rightfully so, delete both posts.
Let's stay on topic please.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
I have to say this reply strikes me as ignorant. What do you base this opinion on? Do you know any Canadians? Have you ever lived in Canada? Do you read any Canadian newspapers or magazines? The ethos are very different and the political structure is quite different. I think you need to take more time to learn about Canada.
I grew up in New York State and crossed the border often. After High School, I went to McGill for two years before transferring to an American university. So, yeah I know Canadians and have been to Canada. I have not read any Canadian magazines or newspapers lately, I admit. Have I missed a monumental regime change? Is Canada the new flagship of Communist dictatorships? Or are they now practicing a form of theocratic fascism?

No, I doubt it. Canada's political structure, a federalist, constitutional government administered by an executive, legislative, and judiciary is pretty much solidly within the political spectrum which includes virtually all constitutional democracies in the word, no less the even more politically diverse bunch that formed the E.U. and is descended from the same political and philosophical ethos that both nations inherited from Britain.

Instead of questioning my qualifications to make the simple and obvious observation that the U.S. and Canada are politically similar, why don't you enlighten us as to how they are such unreconcilable political opposites like the new "U.S.A versus U.S.S.R."

And don't say "Well, they have universal health care!"

Last edited by ABQConvict; 01-23-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM

166 posts, read 229,821 times
Quote:
This is off topic.
Do you live in the British Isles or Europe?
It doesn't come across as your opinion, it looks like something you lifted off the internet somewhere.
the mod will probably, and rightfully so, delete both posts.
Let's stay on topic please.
I'm Irish and I live in Ireland.

It's not lifted off the internet I'm afraid. It's all my own opinion. My well-informed opinion, having lived through it.
So less of the condescending tone please, particularly when your posts are not backed up by facts.

I have no problem staying on topic, I just didn't feel like letting unsubstantiated comments about Ireland and the EU stay unchallenged.

Do you live in the US? I think the distance may have given you a green-tinted view of our problems over here. Bottom line, most of the mess is our own mess, caused by our incompetent government.

On topic;
The US and Canada, although different, would be ideal partners for a supranational arrangement. Similar values, similar tradition, multicultural, economically successful, etc. The foundations are certainly in place and it seems workable.
But again, whether the citizens want or need it, is a different question entirely.
Out of interest, does anyone know if there have been any politicians advocating more in-depth integration between the US and Canada? I'm not familiar with this at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates