Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:33 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As long as people keep reproducing and the global population keeps increasing, there will be a worsening problem of having not enough jobs for the workforce. And since the global economy is also in the dumps, there is going to be a fairly permanent problem with high numbers of unemployed people. We really need to reverse the human population trend.

That said, with having excess numbers of potential employees, employers have the luxury of being very picky with who they hire. Plus in a weak economy, companies are going to work to try to cut out any potential problems with employee theft. And that's where these credit and criminal background checks come in.

The bad is that it's an invasion of privacy for all the applicants. After all, if an employer only runs credit and criminal background checks on those applicants they feel could be a problem, they would open themselves up for all kinds of discrimination lawsuits. And at my job, we had an applicant that in person and on paper looked great, but after running his social security number through the CORY check, it turned out to be the number of a dead person.

But the good out of this trend is that it's a long overdue added social peer pressure that should cause everyone to think very very hard before going into high credit debt or considering filing bankruptcy or just walking away from their debts. Too long have people used loopholes and filed bankruptcy rather than honor what debt they agreed to take on when they used their credit cards or agreed to buy the condo or house they thought they deserved to live in. I feel that everyone should be held equally accountable for their moral faux pas. Our country's moral code is severely lacking and getting worse every day... and ones moral code has nothing at all to do with ones spirituality. As a whole, we have a poor conscience. And shows every time a property owner feels they are entitled to bail out of or renegotiate their mortgage just because the condo or house they purchased is worth a lot less then what they agreed to buy it for. Or it's okay to take more in taxes from some anonymous rich person just to support a poor person that keeps making bad decisions in life like not finishing high school, or having out of wedlock bastard children or some other stupid lifestyle taking drugs or hanging around losers.

I believe that until our society as a whole stops trying to live large and beyond their means, and instead starts to live frugally and withing our means, employers are correct in running credit checks. And the same goes for criminal background checks. I know many people who bottomed out with nothing to live on, and yet with very hard efforts, they managed to turn their lives around without turning to criminal activities. Until our society becomes more responsible morally, employers are right to do background checks on their potential employees. Companies can't afford to have problem employees that might be easily tempted or desperate enough to thieve company property.

And on a related note, I think that the same cautions should be exercised when beginning a romantic relationship with a complete stranger that could lead to marriage. There are just too many con artists and desperate people out there. Just watch any episode of America's Most Wanted.
Oh boo hoo. If it was such a moral issue, let us bring back debtor's prisons and eliminate bankruptcy. Rhetorical question but how can someone pay back what they owe without a job? If a business is really owed money they can garnish wages or recoup from property or money under a few thousand dollars. Apparently your concept of morality is making sure the rich and bankers pay as little taxes as possible and preventing people who might need help getting an education or a job ever. Your view of poor people as drug addicted bastards is laughable as are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
He could be the best worker you have ever had, why does it matter if the tattoo is on there face or not. It sounds more like you are just trying to keep a certain company image. Its too bad most corporations have gone that way.
You bet I am keeping an image!!!

Our workers go into customer's homes.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
When you have 1000 people applying for a job you can make all kinds of absurd requirements. You can make a sales person have a commercial diving licence. Thats the problem with having a saturated market is you become a disposable peasant.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Its really been the case that mnay do not have the skils needed especailly since the liabilty grows very day in this lawuit happy world. Hire a bad character and see who pays when he does something on the job.All employers chack anyone driving their vehicles now days for those reasons.CDL are require even to drive a city truck where live verus not in the past because of the liabilty chnages as time as gone by.Even Piazza delivery requires a DL record check now days.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:25 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I will be the first one to cheer when pre-employment credit checks are outlawed! It just isn't anyone's business what kind of debt a person has. I have noticed that we have largely become a country where you just don't get second chances anymore. Maybe someone made bad decisions years ago and took on more credit card debt than they could afford. Now they are trying to be responsible and pay down those debts, but they can't do that without a job. In today's economy they can't even get a minimum wage job without going through 3 interviews, a background check, credit check, and a facebook check. It is just rediculous! It looks like the days of the US being the "Land of Opportunity" are over. I really wonder what kind of country my 2 year old son will inherit when he grows up. It is scary to think about it.
In this nation you walk a VERY tight rope. Its a dog eat dog nation we live in. Not only can you not afford to make mistakes you cant even afford to pick anything less than the craftiest decisions. Even second best decisions will have consequences.

I guess in a way it holds peoples feet to the fire

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
When you have 1000 people applying for a job you can make all kinds of absurd requirements. You can make a sales person have a commercial diving licence. Thats the problem with having a saturated market is you become a disposable peasant.
Most of all be able to pass the drug screen.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
In a Mexican border city, like San Diego, what good are drug tests?

In San Diego, you can whizz across the border, get a legal presciption for the drug of your choice, whizz back across the border, pass your drug test, and find yourself a job.

IMO, drugs are drugs are drugs!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
I think the job market in America is horrible. So many years we worked 9-5, now suddenly the last 15 ears it has become 8-5....WTF, are we reverting back to the industrial revolution days?, when the people worked 10 hour days???

We have all this modern technology to make out working lives easier, yet we are working longer hours, something isn't right here....After all this time, "man" should be working less hours and enjoying more of life....but we here in America don't seem to do this.....

What is the point of having all these modern convenience's to work with when we are still working long hours....It makes no sense...

and then you get experts on TV shows(like Oprah) to tell us how to utilize our time to get the most out of the day....duh, make the work day shorter by maybe 2 hours, then we will have time to do our chores, errands, and maybe have an ounce of time to have maybe a bit of fun.......before we die.....

I absolutely HATE the work style here in America..........It really suck ass big time !!

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
The 12 page employment form accurately screens out the people too impatient to put up with management BS. As most jobs are little more than tolerating endless BS from management failures, the forms actually work. Most businesses, and all government, offices are boxes of bureaucrats and bureaucrats HATE people that might bring change to the work and social environment. I expect the forms will eventually get to 20+ pages.

Dismantling the 40 hour week, paid vacation, safe workplaces and other employee rights has been the goal since the election of Ronnie Raygun. The slave masters have made substantial progress toward installing third world conditions in the American workplace. I think they do that just because they can. I think the owners and managers despise workers and wish they were all robots that worked for a bit of electricity instead of wages.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The 12 page employment form accurately screens out the people too impatient to put up with management BS. As most jobs are little more than tolerating endless BS from management failures, the forms actually work. Most businesses, and all government, offices are boxes of bureaucrats and bureaucrats HATE people that might bring change to the work and social environment. I expect the forms will eventually get to 20+ pages.

Dismantling the 40 hour week, paid vacation, safe workplaces and other employee rights has been the goal since the election of Ronnie Raygun. The slave masters have made substantial progress toward installing third world conditions in the American workplace. I think they do that just because they can. I think the owners and managers despise workers and wish they were all robots that worked for a bit of electricity instead of wages.
Priceless.

You know....I would have preferred to pay my last helper with a bit of electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates