Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

I read that a great deal here on the forums since joining.

I turned 18 in 1982 and do not recall this term at any time prior. I had read regarding Busing, Affirmative Action,hiring quotas and preferences to under representated applicants(fill in the institution) but never heard the phrase White Guilt associated with those endeavours

I think I heard/read it in the news about the mid-1990s.

Where does it come from? I mean as opposed to how the rationaliztion to end Segregation and impose the actions mentioned above?

When did it become a condescending term?

Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
White guilt has always been around. Check this out: Everyone feels guilty about something and White people have been around for a long time (the term was first used in the 1600s in this country, I think). Just put White people with guilt and you'd have White Guilt. It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:12 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Probably around the era of "free love", when white people wore tie dye shirts, and spent their time smoking weed in bongs and doing cartwheels on grassy knolls.

Honestly, it probably took flight in the days when communism became sort of fetish for intellectuals in the U.S. Academics sort of gelled the ideals of the working class struggle with the exploitation of other cultures, races and classes. The puzzle seemed to fit more than one picture, so to speak. People like Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn became standard academic reading in most college classrooms around that time, especially in the more hoity toity schools. Eventually a lot of those students went on to become politicians, judges, journalists, college professors etc etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
"Silver Guilt"
"Purple Guilt"
"Pink Guilt"
"Orange Guilt"

What's the difference?

Okay, I'm done. I just wanted to play dumb for a little while like some in the "Reparations" thread (y'all know the posts that were being facetious).

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
It comes from the belief that because white people have had the benefit of their skin color (because life is supposed to be so easy when you're white) this has afforded white people privileged status in American society and as a result, they should feel guilty of this fact and show deference in all manner of social and educational free passes to people who were born with melanin because if you've got melanin you're automatically considered to be disadvantaged in status.

You should feel guilty... don't you?

I think it started somewhere in the 1970's. Definitely after school desegregation and busing. Rooted in liberal suburbia.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
If someone feels guilty, that's their issue and their problem. I don't believe in ____ Guilt and I think it is a way for that group of people to push aside the responsibility for the guilt they feel.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM

481 posts, read 943,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It comes from the belief that because white people have had the benefit of their skin color (because life is supposed to be so easy when you're white) this has afforded white people privileged status in American society and as a result, they should feel guilty of this fact and show deference in all manner of social and educational free passes to people who were born with melanin because if you've got melanin you're automatically considered to be disadvantaged in status.

You should feel guilty... don't you?

I think it started somewhere in the 1970's. Definitely after school desegregation and busing. Rooted in liberal suburbia.
I get where you think it came from but it is just a silly concept. I don't think anyone expects anyone else to feel guilty for things they cannot control. The idea of White Privilege is not about guilt or blame but about awareness. If that makes soemone feel guilty then maybe it'sbecause they preferred to stay ignorant to their priviledge and now that they are aware are uncomfortable in this revelation. Feeling guilty doesn't do anyone a damn bit of good.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
I think the concept came from liberal academia. I don't see any blacks feeling responsible as a group when other blacks commit crimes. Why should whites as a group feel responsible for events like slavery that took place before any of us were born?

Just like the game "Telephone" as time goes by the stories of slavery told by people who never lived through it, will become more distorted and exaggerated, only to create a further chasm between black and white relations which is a true disservice to all of mankind.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM

41 posts, read 146,353 times
Default Reply to zonababe

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I think the concept came from liberal academia. I don't see any blacks feeling responsible as a group when other blacks commit crimes. Why should whites as a group feel responsible for events like slavery that took place before any of us were born?
I do not think that anyone should feel guilty for their ancestors. We cannot change what they did. Unless your family were immagrants from Europe we all have some type of mixed race due all the rapes that happen during slavery.

Also as a black women, I know that Africans were not that innocent either. They were the ones that sold their people to be slaves. And I do not feel any 'black' guilt about that.

Zonababe, in regards to your comment. Black people do not feel guilty when other blacks commit crimes just like white people do not feel guilty when whites commit crime. What my friends feel is embarassment when we watch the news and someone black did something crazy. It is almost like having have a brother or sister on drugs. You probably would not feel guilty about their situation but they will not be accompying you to the Christmas party at work.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I get put on edge any time I see a term like that. White slavery is another. Guilt is guilt is guilt and slavery is slavery - it doesn't need a qualifier to make people sit up and take notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates