Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:00 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
We are already there.
Two examples: Mandatory seat belt laws and mandatory helmets on motorcycles.

GL2
That's it? That's what your worried about? Take it up with the insurance lobby-they're the ones who pushed the safety laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
That's it? That's what your worried about? Take it up with the insurance lobby-they're the ones who pushed the safety laws.
Yes, but there is a good point buried in that. Because there are two different dystopian visions out there. The first is that of George Orwell and 1984. However, the one that is more insidious is that of Aldous Huxley and Brave New World, where people are controlled through withholding of pleasure, not inflicting pain. And everything is engineered for the good of the governed without actually allowing them choice.

Personally, I think one would have to be a halfwit to drive around without one's seat belt fastened. And a bigger fool to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. But what the poster is discussing here is a nanny state that is trying to impose good behavior on people, forcing them do things for their own good. What's next? Forbidding the consumption of red meat? It's actually a pretty logical step, given how heart attacks and strokes are so prevalent in this country--with the corresponding effect on our Medicaid and Medicare expenditures. See how steep the slippery slope gets?

Heck, even in 1984, Winston Smith began his day with calisthenics under the supervision of Big Brother. Of course, exercise is an unqualified good, but is it the state's right to require it?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
The thing I find curious about seat belt laws is why school buses and public transport weren't first on the list for mandating those. Instead, private cars are being targeted. Almost like a different standard.

I don't think it is done for anybody's good. Just more control and revenue.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,063 times
I think we're seeing the end result of a society in which risk tolerance isn't valuable anymore.

Throughout most of the history of North America, gains were made by those with a high tolerance for risk and uncertainty. From frontiersmen and pioneer farmers to risk tolerant businesspeople, risk was a required part of life.

Outside of a small group of professions, we've become a very risk averse society over the last 100 years or so and I think that's given us a very different outlook on freedom vs. security than we used to have.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
The thing I find curious about seat belt laws is why school buses and public transport weren't first on the list for mandating those. Instead, private cars are being targeted. Almost like a different standard.

I don't think it is done for anybody's good. Just more control and revenue.
The reason for no seat belts on school buses...probably too much bureaucracy. 35 layers of bureaucracy. Schools operate on a different plane, different laws.

Schools are still on the agrarian calendar. "Change" is not something that is very easy.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but there is a good point buried in that. Because there are two different dystopian visions out there. The first is that of George Orwell and 1984. However, the one that is more insidious is that of Aldous Huxley and Brave New World, where people are controlled through withholding of pleasure, not inflicting pain. And everything is engineered for the good of the governed without actually allowing them choice.

Personally, I think one would have to be a halfwit to drive around without one's seat belt fastened. And a bigger fool to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. But what the poster is discussing here is a nanny state that is trying to impose good behavior on people, forcing them do things for their own good. What's next? Forbidding the consumption of red meat? It's actually a pretty logical step, given how heart attacks and strokes are so prevalent in this country--with the corresponding effect on our Medicaid and Medicare expenditures. See how steep the slippery slope gets?

Heck, even in 1984, Winston Smith began his day with calisthenics under the supervision of Big Brother. Of course, exercise is an unqualified good, but is it the state's right to require it?
Does the "slippery slope" also include such things as safety glass in cars, air bags, fire suppression in buildings that are open to the public, use of turn signals, requiring car seats for kids, non-leaded paint, etc.?

I know what you're saying, but the seat belt laws and helmet laws were pushed mostly because the states and insurance companies were tired of picking up the tab (which effects everyone's bottom line) for accident causalities that could be limited or eliminated with the use of inexpensive safety equipment. Too bad folks who don't want to use safety equipment can't sign a waiver stating that they are SOLELY responsible for their medical expenses if they choose not to use it.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Good police state movies that parallel all too well what our world is becoming:

Equilibrium--starring Christian Bale & Sean Bean. A world where feeling emotion has become illegal. Citizens must take a medication called "equilibrium" daily to short circuit the feeling centers of the brain. Everything that could inspire feeling is outlawed, such as music, paintings, keeping animals as pets etc. Those who resist are burned in ovens. But an underground organization fights back.

The Matrix-- Far more well known then Equilibrium, so no description is necessary. Those who understand the movie will see it's parallels to "real life".

Old 08-07-2011, 11:43 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Does the "slippery slope" also include such things as safety glass in cars, air bags, fire suppression in buildings that are open to the public, use of turn signals, requiring car seats for kids, non-leaded paint, etc.?
I think it does. It also includes child-resistant caps on medications (which can be hard for those with arthritis to open--there should be an option for those without children and the elderly), doors on cars that lock automatically when car is in motion, back windows that don't roll down all the way etc etc ad nauseam.

It's called "bubblewrapping" the world because of a few idiots. It's why we now have warnings on hair dryers that say "don't use while showering" etc.

By not allowing the stupid to darwinize themselves, they are allowed to continue to breed. And so the dumbing down continues. Which, if you think about it, suits TPTBs purposes quite well.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The reason for no seat belts on school buses...probably too much bureaucracy. 35 layers of bureaucracy. Schools operate on a different plane, different laws.

Schools are still on the agrarian calendar. "Change" is not something that is very easy.
I think the main reason for seat belts not being on buses is that the seats are designed to be padded roll compartments. They come up well over a small child's head and have a great deal of padding.

I spent a lot of time on buses with students this summer. I wouldn't want to see a situation where a bus was on fire or flooded, the driver was incapacitated, and there were 30-50 kids belted in. The design makes it possible to protect the kids during a collision and then evacuate them quickly.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Two comments:

1) Most of the guys I know bitching about helmet laws, seatbelt laws etc. don't have 2 nickels to rub together and will be happy to shove thier medical bills in my hand while heading off to collect disability. Basically, they want to have all of the rights and none of the responsibility....and then try to hide behind "freedoms".

2) I highly doubt the "insurance lobby" is pushing helmet laws. Mostly I see the government pushing them but am open minded to see your statistics.

P.S. Probably going to be 5000 more dead bikers this year. Ride safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates