Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 AM

214 posts, read 560,353 times

Advertisements

It would never happen, but I think it should and here is why.

Most of the problems in this country come from people. Most of the people who cause these problems come from poor, broken homes, with unfit, unsuitable parents, who should have never had kids in the first place. A lot of those pregnancies were unplanned, and suddenly you have a child being raised into a broken home with unfit parents.

I think we are at the point in this country where it should no longer be a right to freely give birth. I think in order to continue a pregnancy and give birth, the parents should have to submit an application to a newly designed government agency that would handle birth approval.

It would be a application that looked for things such as, current employment by both parents. Current living arrangements and location of both parents. Prior criminal record for both parents. Drug testing for both parents, check the citizen status of both parents to make sure they are not here illegally, things of that nature. Basically to see if the parents are suitable individuals to bring a child into this country and will have the ability to raise it properly.

If the application is approved, it would go on a list of expected birth registry, that hospitals can use as a reference when the mother comes in to give birth. That family would also be eligible for all federal assistance programs if needed in the future. Chances are if they are well off and responsible enough, they wouldnt need any of these programs, which would save a lot of money paid to people who need handouts to raise a family.

If the application is denied and the mother is not currently pregnant, she would have to wait 2 years to reapply. If the mother is currently pregnant, she would be legally required to have an abortion or face financial penalties if she refused. Abortions would be paid for by the government.

If people tried to slide under the radar and didnt submit application for approval, then they would not be allowed or eligible to receive ANY federal assistance to raise the child. They would be all on their own. No handouts. I would personally go as far as to say that if they had no proof of approval, then hospitals shouldnt be required to deliver the baby, however, if they went to the hospital to deliver the child and didnt show up on the approval registry, they would be subjected to a hefty fine. Subsequent violations would result in jail time, and the kids being moved to foster care.

Sounds harsh and would never happen, but I wish it would. Oh how I wish it would. Know why? Because only people who have proven to have good moral character and are productive members of society should have the right and opportunity to bring another life into this country.

The parents with felonies, using drugs, no jobs, severe mental health issues, etc should not have the right to bring life into this world.

It should be a privilege that is rewarded to people who have done well in life and have a proven track record of being stable and balanced individuals.

You dont just go into a car and start driving. You have to take a test to get a license. You dont just walk into a place and start working at a job, you need to submit an application, a very detailed application to make sure you are suitable for employment. You dont just walk into a house, and live there, you need to be approved for a mortgage to prove your worthy and capable of owning a home.

Well above all that is the importance of bringing another human being into this world, and in order to do that, you should need approval as well.

Unfortunately things in this country have gotten so bad and out of control with crime and poverty, that I think this idea would work great, but unfortunately for the good people of the country, would never be approved.

Last edited by Edison Winter; 07-12-2012 at 02:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
While you are at it....let's eliminate all of those people that drink, smoke, gamble, eat too much of the wrong foods, don't get enough sleep so they are grumpy and don't take vitamines like they should.

Just think of all the money we would save if we could prevent people that have the urge to driive too fast from breeding. Surely the slow pokes would pass their attitude towards traffic on to their children.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
...a newly designed government agency...
Epic fail. You can't legislate common sense, morality, or good judgment. And government having the final say on requiring a couple to get an abortion? Government being the proctor of the life or death of the unborn is a bad idea. I am not a supporter of abortion, but I can at least respect the concept of personal choice. It should not be the decision of some stuffy government bureaucrat.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Edison Winter.....to answer your question...."what if pregnancy had to be government approved?".....I'm thinking Nazi Germany and Hitler.....I'm thinking state capitalism, fascism....wow...your words are scary....but you never know....more and more of our liberties are foolishly being given away....it started big time with the Patriot Act.... then the loss of our 212 year old "Bill of Rights" which was nullified in 2011 by the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), thanks to Obama...so...maybe your wish will come true.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Edison Winter.....to answer your question...."what if pregnancy had to be government approved?".....I'm thinking Nazi Germany and Hitler.....I'm thinking state capitalism, fascism....wow...your words are scary....but you never know....more and more of our liberties are foolishly being given away....it started big time with the Patriot Act.... then the loss of our 212 year old "Bill of Rights" which was nullified in 2011 by the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), thanks to Obama...so...maybe your wish will come true.

Oh I know it would never happen, or probably not in this century at least, but I personally dont think its a bad idea. I think its a great idea actually.

With the way things are in this country, I think it would make great sense. To many unfit "parents" are bringing kids into this world and dont know how to properly raise them or care for them. It affects us all in some way because these people grown up in society and dont know how to act properly.

For the productive members of the country who have proven to be of good moral character and have proven that they are financially and mentally capable of bringing life into this world, all they would have to do is fill out a simple application which would be reviewed and approved.

The bum type who lives in the projects or trailer park and smokes pot all day and sells drugs for a living should not have the right to bring a child into this world. And if they choose to, without seeking approval, then the family should be classified as such and would be disqualified from receiving and federal assistance. Another words is, if they are stupid enough to bring a kid into this world when they can barely take care of them self, then the responsibility should be all on them. No handouts. I would impose fines too. These people need to be discouraged not pampered.

Let word spread amongst these low level trash bags and maybe they will get their act together and stop reproducing and polluting and draining the planet with their dirty mutant spawn.

Unfortunately for the good and responsible people of this country, the low level trash have proven that they cannot be trusted to use good judgement on the decision to raise a family. When things get out of control with over population and they trace back the statistics on who and where the majority of the crime is coming from....it becomes easy and clear to figure out who is causing the problems in this country, and they should not be allowed to bring more life into this world.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Epic fail. You can't legislate common sense, morality, or good judgment. And government having the final say on requiring a couple to get an abortion? Government being the proctor of the life or death of the unborn is a bad idea. I am not a supporter of abortion, but I can at least respect the concept of personal choice. It should not be the decision of some stuffy government bureaucrat.

Using drugs is illegal isnt it? So is Driving while Intoxicated.

That certainly falls under the category of common sense and good judgement.

They can force someone to go to jail or rehab.

Do you like paying into the welfare system so some fat slob drug abuser can sit at home in the hood and raise here 5 tax credits?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
While you are at it....let's eliminate all of those people that drink, smoke, gamble, eat too much of the wrong foods, don't get enough sleep so they are grumpy and don't take vitamines like they should.

Just think of all the money we would save if we could prevent people that have the urge to driive too fast from breeding. Surely the slow pokes would pass their attitude towards traffic on to their children.

If it was up to me, DUI/DWI laws would be much stricter.

There already is a war against Smokers, and I can see in the next 10-15 years Smoking being illegal. Its already so high priced that most people cant afford to continue the habit.

Do you think its a good idea for a person/couple who is unemployed, or makes very little money and can barely support them self, to be able to bring more life into this world. Maybe more then one, maybe two, three or more kids. And they all are gonna be raised in that environment. What happens is, they end up needing federal assistance to take care of the offspring. What part of any of that sounds good to you?

People should have to prove they are worthy and capable to bring life into this country.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Using drugs is illegal isnt it? So is Driving while Intoxicated.
Those laws exist to protect you and I from a third party who does not exercise sound judgment. Or perhaps a better explanation is to have a framework by which to punish those who do not use sound judgment.
Your solution to problems with reproductive rights is to deny life altogether? I can see it now. "In order to protect you from the dangers of potentially bad parenting, we are just going to kill you before you have a chance to live." Yeah, sounds like a good plan.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
If it was up to me, DUI/DWI laws would be much stricter.

There already is a war against Smokers, and I can see in the next 10-15 years Smoking being illegal. Its already so high priced that most people cant afford to continue the habit.

Do you think its a good idea for a person/couple who is unemployed, or makes very little money and can barely support them self, to be able to bring more life into this world. Maybe more then one, maybe two, three or more kids. And they all are gonna be raised in that environment. What happens is, they end up needing federal assistance to take care of the offspring. What part of any of that sounds good to you?

People should have to prove they are worthy and capable to bring life into this country.
Where do you draw the line here? Presumably you are speaking specifically about unemployed people who are on welfare and represent a "drain" on the system. Maybe they have a problem with drugs and alcohol. If these people are so bad and must prove their "worth" as humans in order to reproduce, why not just go all the way with your logic? Why not make them prove their worth as humans and justify their very existance? After all, if they are consuming but not producing, someone else is compensating. Do you support this conclusion? If so, it's quite radical. If not, you are inconsistent.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Oh I know it would never happen, or probably not in this century at least, but I personally dont think its a bad idea. I think its a great idea actually.

With the way things are in this country, I think it would make great sense. To many unfit "parents" are bringing kids into this world and dont know how to properly raise them or care for them. It affects us all in some way because these people grown up in society and dont know how to act properly.

For the productive members of the country who have proven to be of good moral character and have proven that they are financially and mentally capable of bringing life into this world, all they would have to do is fill out a simple application which would be reviewed and approved.

The bum type who lives in the projects or trailer park and smokes pot all day and sells drugs for a living should not have the right to bring a child into this world. And if they choose to, without seeking approval, then the family should be classified as such and would be disqualified from receiving and federal assistance. Another words is, if they are stupid enough to bring a kid into this world when they can barely take care of them self, then the responsibility should be all on them. No handouts. I would impose fines too. These people need to be discouraged not pampered.

Let word spread amongst these low level trash bags and maybe they will get their act together and stop reproducing and polluting and draining the planet with their dirty mutant spawn.

Unfortunately for the good and responsible people of this country, the low level trash have proven that they cannot be trusted to use good judgement on the decision to raise a family. When things get out of control with over population and they trace back the statistics on who and where the majority of the crime is coming from....it becomes easy and clear to figure out who is causing the problems in this country, and they should not be allowed to bring more life into this world.
Now just how, and WHO ,is going to decide that....no doubt someone who has let me guess...MONEY?...there are many, many GOOD PEOPLE..who due to circumstance and injustices have found themselves in financial difficulty....what about people who've lost their jobs, and though they are desperately trying to find another...the only ones available are at less than half their previous earnings?...should we pass judgement on them, by denying them the right to reproduce?...You definately have strong opinions about some people....surely you are also aware of the absolute corrupt practices and atrocities committed by the very government you would trust to make the desision on weather YOU are worthy of having children.....would you really want to hand that kind of power to a totoal stranger who doesn't know you, and certainly couldn't be expected to even want to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates