Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times

Advertisements

Pregnant athletes can play, should exercise common sense, doctor says - ESPN

The story aired on Outside the lines on ESPN Sunday morning. It was about a teen that got pregnant and the school found out (from someone else) and restricted her from playing until she got a doctors note that it was OK. The first doctor's note said she was cleared to play only if there was no contact and her heart rate stayed below a certain level. The school said they could not make accomodations to ensure that, so she got a second note that cleared her totally. I think the school could have handled it a little better but got into a debate with my wife because I felt it was OK to not put the player back in full time since she had missed practice time and playing time while getting the clearance from her doctor to play. I tried to explain that it is a team and when someone goes out for whatever reason they will be replaced and sometimes even when 100% may not start if the team is doing well without them. My wife thinks it is plain discrimination and I do not see it that way. The girl's mother is suing for discrimination. Interested in others opinion either way (of course will only tell my wife about the ones that agree with me, if any)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:01 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
^ The pregnant girl's mother is suing the school for discrimination.

I think you've identified the main problem in this whole situation.

Some people are just idiots.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,952 times
I don't see anything discriminatory about keeping a high school level sport for high school students who make high school decisions with their lives. This young lady apparently wants to be an adult so that should mean no more high school sports.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
^ Not to mention that Helicopter Mom wouldn't hesitate to sue the crap out of the school if her "grandchild" was somehow harmed because of overexertion on the part of the teenage girl insisting on playing volleyball.

Again... just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
A pregnant volleyball player?? Sounds like a recipe for legal trouble. The school acted in a reasonable manner. If I was the AD at the school I would have required a signed liability release from the parents (and the kid) in addition to the note from the doctor.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Honestly, the other women in the article are all considered adults and making a comparison between a high school student and them is ludicrous.

It doesn't look like there is enough information for them to tell her -its bad wrong. However, she is already at risk AND I would question how quickly mom would try to sue if she lost that baby.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It is a liability issue. The school has a right to reduce its exposure to expensive litigation.

Even 55 years ago, I could not go out for high school sports without a signed waiver from my doctor. That was the state rule for everyone. If the school had reason to believe a student's medical condition had changed, they require a recertification. CYA, the guiding principle of American life.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
I would not play a Sport with a pregnant women, for fear of inadvertently injuring her. We did not have pregnant girls in High School. so the whole idea is alien to me. Values change, as we evolve I guess. Or it De-evolve?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
Pregnant athletes can play, should exercise common sense, doctor says - ESPN

The story aired on Outside the lines on ESPN Sunday morning. It was about a teen that got pregnant and the school found out (from someone else) and restricted her from playing until she got a doctors note that it was OK. The first doctor's note said she was cleared to play only if there was no contact and her heart rate stayed below a certain level. The school said they could not make accomodations to ensure that, so she got a second note that cleared her totally. I think the school could have handled it a little better but got into a debate with my wife because I felt it was OK to not put the player back in full time since she had missed practice time and playing time while getting the clearance from her doctor to play. I tried to explain that it is a team and when someone goes out for whatever reason they will be replaced and sometimes even when 100% may not start if the team is doing well without them. My wife thinks it is plain discrimination and I do not see it that way. The girl's mother is suing for discrimination. Interested in others opinion either way (of course will only tell my wife about the ones that agree with me, if any)
If the school allowed her to play, and the child got hurt, then they could be sued.

Volleyball is a very active sport, jumping, falling, running. I don't see why a pregnant person would want to risk the health of their child by doing it. Seems to me the school is just being responsible.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Did you watch the whole video?

If you did, you know that the girl's doctor considered the risk to the girl and to the fetus, and knowing more than most of us know about the medical condition, cleared her to return to play without restrictions.

It really appears that the coach has it in for her, and has made this decision not out of any concern for the player or her health, but to shame her for becoming pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates