Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Did you watch the whole video?

If you did, you know that the girl's doctor considered the risk to the girl and to the fetus, and knowing more than most of us know about the medical condition, cleared her to return to play without restrictions.

It really appears that the coach has it in for her, and has made this decision not out of any concern for the player or her health, but to shame her for becoming pregnant.
I know when my ex was pregnant, she asked the doctor if she could continue jogging, and he told her it was probably a bad idea.

Contact sports is no place for a pregnant woman, and volleyball is very much a contact sport. I'm sure we can find many doctors out there who agree with that, and others that disagree.

In the end, I still feel like its in the girl, and the childs best interest if she didn't play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
This isn't discrimination, it's a school covering its butt and a stupid mother.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
If a pregnant teen and her mother's greatest concerns are that she is not allowed to continue to play during her pregnancy it just confirms how truly screwed up they are their priorities.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If a pregnant teen and her mother's greatest concerns are that she is not allowed to continue to play during her pregnancy it just confirms how truly screwed up they are their priorities.
Beat me to the punch. It would seem to me that volleyball should be the last thing on the mind of a pregnant high school girl. If sports were such a big deal in her life, she probably wouldn't be pregnant.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just playing devils advocate here (I actually agree with you)

What if she is in line for a scholership for playing Vball? If she doesn't continue to play the rest of the season, perhaps she'll loose out on said scholership?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
How about "High school football player gets playing time cut due to broken leg". The doctor says the cast will prevent further damage while playing, but the coach thinks it will slow him down on pass defense, so he'd prefer to have a guy out there who does not have his leg in a cast and can run at full speed.

Of the eligible players, the coach gets to decide which players are most likely to be in condition to play competitively and win games. Maybe he thinks the pregnant girl will hold back, and not make a headlong diving save.

Maybe,she might consider whether the college wants to consider giving an athletic scholarship to an athlete who keeps getting pregnant all the time. College sports is a commitment.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just playing devils advocate here (I actually agree with you)

What if she is in line for a scholership for playing Vball? If she doesn't continue to play the rest of the season, perhaps she'll loose out on said scholership?
Sounds like a little prior thought may have been a good idea here. Must have been a heat of the moment thing. I have those from time to time myself.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM

109 posts, read 364,216 times
She isn't going to get a scholarship to play sports for a college with a baby. Who are you kidding?

She also isn't going to get into a top college after having a kid. So why the fixation on staying on the team?

That IS insane indeed! Wait until after she has it and she finds out the truth and reality of getting pregnant!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
She also isn't going to get into a top college after having a kid. So why the fixation on staying on the team?

Why not?

For all we know, she carries a 3.8 GPA and excels at academics.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
She isn't going to get a scholarship to play sports for a college with a baby. Who are you kidding?

That IS insane indeed! Wait until after she has it and she finds out the truth and reality of getting pregnant!
I knew several single mothers when I was in school that had scholarships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates