Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Yes, I agree the salary seems to be a tad excessive; however, the cynic in me can't help but wonder if anyone would give a rat's *** about the salary if the person in question were a man.
You make a very fine point. Being a senior female I have to honestly ask myself if I would be as incensed over this if this was a male collecting this amt of money for non-profit.

The "non-profit" part still bugs me.. He should be holding down a regular job and doing this on the side with little compensation other than having his name commended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
You make a very fine point. Being a senior female I have to honestly ask myself if I would be as incensed over this if this was a male collecting this amt of money for non-profit.

The "non-profit" part still bugs me.. He should be holding down a regular job and doing this on the side with little compensation other than having his name commended.
Why? Volunteers do a subpar job compared to the paid staff. As much as we empower volunteers working with my nonprofit, they do not have the resources to effectively work. Our professional fundraisers are expected to bring in millions a year. How much have you brought in?

A big part of my job is volunteer management - aka picking up my volunteer's slack. Everyone starts out an enthusiastic volunteer. Of 10 people who volunteer for a project, 2 will drop out altogether, 3 will be too busy with their job/family/other commitments, and just 1 will be a superstar volunteer who gets the job done. Even nonprofits that rely heavily on volunteers have a strong, core staff that need to be compensated.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Just because the whole system is corrupt and overpaid doesn't prove that Nancy Brinker's salary is "fair". I do agree with the bolded but of course not everyone is aware of her salary and the charities spending. That is why I brought this thread to life. I wanted to shed light on the topic and discuss what others thought. Hence why its in a Great Debates section.
The whole system is not corrupt and overpaid. Just like most organizations the average worker makes a lot less than the CEOs.

I've worked non-profit my entire life, I have a PhD and I've never made over $42,000 a year. You don't make the big bucks working for the Coalition for the Homeless....my first week there they couldn't even find a chair or lamp for my desk --I had to bring one from home. Many non-profits are bare bone affairs, not the luxury spending many of you seem to imagine and resent.

And I am not thrilled with this salary level, and I feel it is unfair. Sometimes my jobs have not had health insurance and because I am a breast cancer survivor I can't get health insurance. [A big reason why I'm voting for Obama.] I am going to have a very hard time in retirement, if I ever retire because I figure I'll be one of those 70-year-olds handing you your shopping cart at Walmart.

While it was my choice to work for non-profits, after a while you are locked into that area because for-profit organizations think you're not going to be cut -throat and profit oriented enough to work for them---and that's probably true in my case. I could never harass a sick person for an unpaid medical bill for example.

Last edited by ellemint; 10-30-2012 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Call me nutty but I don't see how roughly 1% of revenues is really "unfair" or remotely out of line.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why? Volunteers do a subpar job compared to the paid staff. As much as we empower volunteers working with my nonprofit, they do not have the resources to effectively work. Our professional fundraisers are expected to bring in millions a year. How much have you brought in?

A big part of my job is volunteer management - aka picking up my volunteer's slack. Everyone starts out an enthusiastic volunteer. Of 10 people who volunteer for a project, 2 will drop out altogether, 3 will be too busy with their job/family/other commitments, and just 1 will be a superstar volunteer who gets the job done. Even nonprofits that rely heavily on volunteers have a strong, core staff that need to be compensated.
Also, there are high-level skills needed in most organizations. The Red Cross needs nurses and phlebotomists, you can't expect everyone just to donate their time. People need to make a living.

Non-profits still need accountants, they need grant-writers, community workers, coordinators, marketing staff, social workers, staff at shelters etc. You can't expect all of this time to be volunteered. There is work that cannot be done in little snippets of time, like 5 hours here, 3 hours here, that most volunteers have available. Who is going to be coming in at 7:30 a.m.? They need vehicles. Drivers. Some organizations like shelters are open 24 hours a day. Volunteers are not going to staff that.

As far as I'm concerned 90 % of the complaints about Brinker's salary on here are just women being bi*hy about another woman. Instead of appreciating all the money she has brought to breast cancer research and services. I haven't heard one peep about the millions that the others are making, especially the male CEOs of non-profit healthcare services who regularly make in the millions.

Last edited by ellemint; 10-30-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The whole system is not corrupt and overpaid. Just like most organizations the average worker makes a lot less than the CEOs.

I've worked non-profit my entire life, I have a PhD and I've never made over $42,000 a year. You don't make the big bucks working for the Coalition for the Homeless....my first week there they couldn't even find a chair or lamp for my desk --I had to bring one from home. Many non-profits are bare bone affairs, not the luxury spending many of you seem to imagine and resent.

And I am not thrilled with this salary level, and I feel it is unfair. Sometimes my jobs have not had health insurance and because I am a breast cancer survivor I can't get health insurance. [A big reason why I'm voting for Obama.] I am going to have a very hard time in retirement, if I ever retire because I figure I'll be one of those 70-year-olds handing you your shopping cart at Walmart.

While it was my choice to work for non-profits, after a while you are locked into that area because for-profit organizations think you're not going to be cut -throat and profit oriented enough to work for them---and that's probably true in my case. I could never harass a sick person for an unpaid medical bill for example.
Thank you for your service in the NPO but I wasn't referring to the standard employee. I was talking only about the corporate heads. Do you think its fair that these big time CEO's and other executive board members are making 10X-20X your salary and you don't even have a chair? Im not speaking about your CEO necessarily since I dont know anything about your NPO.

And of course not every NPO is corrupt, I was referencing elan's post that was showing how overpaid most CEO's are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates