Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,842,298 times

Advertisements

Here is one hot topic that came up on my Facebook. Nancy Brinker the CEO/Founder of Susan G Komen for the cure made a BASE salary of $417K last year. Is that too much? Do non profit charity executives deserve high salaries?

She is a very qualified candidate and deserves a high paycheck. But as the CEO of a charity organization she should be given a modest salary. What are your thoughts?

Nancy Brinker's Salary Raises Questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
I see both sides. Some would assume that the employees of a charity should be charitable in their own income requirements. OTOH, to many of those people, it's just a job. If they can make that money working elsewhere, the charities are all but forced to pay those salaries to get that caliber of employee.

To me it's a matter of reality vs what we wish.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I see both sides. Some would assume that the employees of a charity should be charitable in their own income requirements. OTOH, to many of those people, it's just a job. If they can make that money working elsewhere, the charities are all but forced to pay those salaries to get that caliber of employee.

To me it's a matter of reality vs what we wish.
That is using the assumption that you cannot find anybody willing to work for less who has a similar skillset. I bet there are plenty of people who would be willing to work for $250K or less that have similar educations and work history.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,921 times
I have never really considered Susan G Komen as a good charity. Too me, they are all flash and advertising, little money for cancer. Between this and the whole business with suing other charities, I tend to race away from anything they have their name on. If it came down to it, I personally know cancer researchers that I would rather give $50 to, rather than give $50 to SGK, so that $1 goes to research (exaggeration on research $, but gets the point across).

I guess I can see both sides of the debate. I think it is extravagant for a non profit salary, especially for someone who had a DIRECT CONNECTION and started the whole thing. But maybe compared to the millions that other CEOs get...

Last edited by hodgemo2; 10-17-2012 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
That's pretty standard pay range for the head of a major NPO.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
That is using the assumption that you cannot find anybody willing to work for less who has a similar skillset. I bet there are plenty of people who would be willing to work for $250K or less that have similar educations and work history.
Of course I'm assuming that. Every business should be looking for the best people for the least money. I thought the issue is whether an NPO should pay less than the equivalent employee in the private business world.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,928 times
Is this the 'high calibre employee' who decimated their reputation by cutting funding for breast exams for poor women?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Of course I'm assuming that. Every business should be looking for the best people for the least money. I thought the issue is whether an NPO should pay less than the equivalent employee in the private business world.
Well, I disagree. I think there are people who have similar qualifications and/or people who are willing to work for less who are more highly qualified. She may know her own business better than most, but it doesn't mean she deserves the salary she gives herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Is this the 'high calibre employee' who decimated their reputation by cutting funding for breast exams for poor women?
Lets not forget about signing agreements with Yoplait to do the pink lid campaign, but not allowing dannon the opportunity to participate. Its arguable of course whether or not having both companies in it would generate more revenue. Also, the many lawsuits over the term "for the cure" that other NPO's have tried to use.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,765 times
I don't see that it's anyone's business but the person who draws the salary and the person that pays it.

There's a big "unless" in there, though. If the money paid either derails the organization from fulfilling it's designated roll, or there is some sort of fraud, or other legal name in which she is getting the money for her salary from illicit or even questionable means.

Other than that, it's just "hating." Who cares how much she gets paid? Who does it negatively affect? I don't begrudge anyone getting what they can, especially if the funds are there and they are running the operation at or above expectations.

As another poster said, if they can find someone who is just as qualified and competent for 1/2 of those wages, it's incumbent upon those who pay the salary to figure that out and rectify it. Otherwise, it's no one's business.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I don't see that it's anyone's business but the person who draws the salary and the person that pays it.

There's a big "unless" in there, though. If the money paid either derails the organization from fulfilling it's designated roll, or there is some sort of fraud, or other legal name in which she is getting the money for her salary from illicit or even questionable means.

Other than that, it's just "hating." Who cares how much she gets paid? Who does it negatively affect? I don't begrudge anyone getting what they can, especially if the funds are there and they are running the operation at or above expectations.

As another poster said, if they can find someone who is just as qualified and competent for 1/2 of those wages, it's incumbent upon those who pay the salary to figure that out and rectify it. Otherwise, it's no one's business.
Actually, it is people's business who donate to the organization. Is it not my business to know about an organization I am donating my money to? If I do not feel comfortable that a person is becoming rich off of my donations, then I reserve the right to stop contributing to the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates