Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't want things as clean as possible. But what does that entail? Does that mean as clean as they can possibly be, full stop, or as clean as they can possibly be without sacrificing other necessities?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
First off, I believe in climate change but I was wondering, if you don't believe in it then what proof do you need to know it is real? I mean, is it simply because the idea of it is offensive to you? The other thing too I find curious is that most people that don't believe it are conservatives. But, as a conservative, shouldn't we conserve the world we live in from being destroyed by the hand of man? Teddy Roosevelt was a republican and he conserved our lands by doubling the number of national parks in our country. Doesn't conservatism also equate to conservationism??

The science that the earth is warming now is there. You can either believe the science or not.

What people argue is if GW is caused by Human activity.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
First off, I believe in climate change but I was wondering, if you don't believe in it then what proof do you need to know it is real? I mean, is it simply because the idea of it is offensive to you? The other thing too I find curious is that most people that don't believe it are conservatives. But, as a conservative, shouldn't we conserve the world we live in from being destroyed by the hand of man? Teddy Roosevelt was a republican and he conserved our lands by doubling the number of national parks in our country. Doesn't conservatism also equate to conservationism??
As a conservative the thing I find most offensive about Climate Change (formerly Global Warming) is that the vast majority of its proponents are left-wingers. I believe most of them don't care whether or not Climate Change is real because they are using it to further a political agenda that's deterimental to me and my family.

Also, I believe most Climate Change proponents are hypocrites. Remember the Copenhagen Conference a few years ago? So many of the wealthy, overwhelmingly white, first-world attendees arrived at Copenhagen in their private jets that the jets had to be flown empty to other airports for storage until the conference was over, then of course they were flown back empty to pick up the grandees and fly them home. What, they never heard of flying commercial?!

And another thing, whether or not Climate Change is real, how do you know it's Man Made? And how do you know all the manipulations and proposed manipulations of society and industry will, or can, slow it, stop it, or reverse it?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
As a conservative the thing I find most offensive about Climate Change (formerly Global Warming) is that the vast majority of its proponents are left-wingers. I believe most of them don't care whether or not Climate Change is real because they are using it to further a political agenda that's deterimental to me and my family.
There are many that really care. There are also as you note, only in it for what they can profit from it.

Quote:
Also, I believe most Climate Change proponents are hypocrites. Remember the Copenhagen Conference a few years ago? So many of the wealthy, overwhelmingly white, first-world attendees arrived at Copenhagen in their private jets that the jets had to be flown empty to other airports for storage until the conference was over, then of course they were flown back empty to pick up the grandees and fly them home. What, they never heard of flying commercial?!
ie: Al Gore. Al Gore has done more to actually harm the argument than all those that do care have been able to do for it.

Quote:
And another thing, whether or not Climate Change is real, how do you know it's Man Made? And how do you know all the manipulations and proposed manipulations of society and industry will, or can, slow it, stop it, or reverse it?
This is the question. All the same there are things we can do that most seem to agree is good even if it does nothing. Such as raising the CAFE ratings.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

The more important question is if climate change is bad. If climate change (global warming) is a good thing then it does not matter if it is human caused or not.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
I believe in climate change; there is evidence it has been arounsd since long before the consumption of fossul fuel.

What I do not believe in is "global warming". as embraced by a clique of holier-than-thou (psudo-)Liberals who want to use it to expand the environmental bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates