Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I haven't worn my heavy coat out this fall yet. Today I was walking around in a T-shirt outside and it's almost Christmas.
And you believe this to be a result of global warming?

I have a few investments you might be interested in, and as long as you are able to sell them to 10 of your friends.....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
I believe in global warming in the north every spring and every summer... in fact I pray for it. I just wish it would be year round it gets cold up here.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,075 times
I don't doubt that climate change exists and that we are going through cycles in climate, as our planet has from its very begining. I don't doubt that this happens or has happened. What I am tired of is: if it is too hot, it's Global Warming, if it is too cold, it's Global Warming, if it rains too much, it's Global warming, if it doesn't rain enough, it's Global Warming, if summer is too short, it's Gloabl Warming, if summer is too long, it's Global Warming, etc, etc, etc.... If we humans are having any effect whatsovere on the climate I believe it is very negligible. I am just tired of hearing "we have to do this to avoid Global warming" and "We have to do that to avoid Gloabl Warming" and on and on and so on and so forth. Some people are using this "Global Warming/Climate Change" to put the rest of us into the poor house and knock us back to the stone ages.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
I don't think that anyone is debating that climate changes over the long term (millenia). It obviously does, look at the Ice age we had 10,000 years ago. The question is are humans directly contributing to climate change in a significant way? That is the main question. The answer is yes to that from 98% of climate scientists. So that leaves us laypeople to prove them wrong... and it hasn't worked so far.

there would be a bigger problem if climate change did not exist. so i am glad that climate change is there. i just want eco-freaks, democrats and the feds to stop taxing me on something that occurs naturally.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Here's something interesting. A draft of AR5 (the fifth report of the IPCC) has been leaked, and contains some potentially game changing revelations.

One is that the amount of warming experienced has not been consistent with what was previously projected by the models. So global warming is not occurring to the degree once thought.

But the other seems to be a bigger deal. It seems that they now believe that solar activity has played a greater role in climate change. The way they do this is measure the total change, figure out how much is due to factors they understand and measure -- like solar activity--, and then attribute the remainder to co2 increases due to human activity. Since they now believe solar activity plays a bigger role, that means human activity plays a smaller role.

In other words, it appears that climate change is a natural phenomenon and not something caused by human beings. Well, well.

IPCC AR5 draft leaked, contains game-changing admission of enhanced solar forcing – as well as a lack of warming to match model projections, and reversal on ‘extreme weather’ | Watts Up With That?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Everyone has their own spin on it, I guess.

Last edited by Glenfield; 12-17-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Climate change kinda goes like this: A man takes a drinking glass and places it under the water faucet in the kitchen sink. He turns on the faucet and begins filling up the glass(this would be like the natural course of the Earth's climate changes), but then all of a sudden his wife steps up with a jug of water and begins to fill up the glass, too. Now, the drinking glass is filling up at a more rapid pace. This is what is meant by human effected global climate change(or warming). Very simplistic. Cheers

Old 12-18-2012, 12:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest we stop "Believing" one way or the other and sit back and observe for a decade or so. We can keep on with keeping on and after the next decade we will probably determine that global warming as a natural phenomena exacerbated by CO2 emissions and that the rate and direction are set for the next millennia or so as we passed the time when cutting CO2 emissions could have made a difference.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
What I don't understand is why everyone thinks climate change, or rather global warming is bad. It would be good if the earth warmed up. There would be sooo much land in Canada and Russia that would become useful and inhabitable that is not today. In my opinion, warming sounds like a lot better option than global cooling

Also, do those of you who wish to stop climate change think the earth is just going to stay like it is for the next 100000 years? DUH climates will change.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 AM

117 posts, read 179,545 times
Climate change exist, sure. But the notion of little old us in our little old short time of industrialization devastating the planet in ways were it can no longer be "repaired" is utter bollox. I'd say a great deal more, but I can't find the heart. We'll populate and likely worsen our own living conditions (and other species), but only because he fluctuation is something they can't stomach. Not because the fluctuation is so dangerously large. The whole issue is blown out of proportion far too often. Besides, it's not like the 1st world can ask the 3rd world to stop all potential develop while continuing to pollute and waste themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates