Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times

Advertisements

Haggardhouseelf, you bring up a good point, Americans want a decent wage, but they refuse to support those companies that provide the majority of the employment in the US. Instead, they work for a US firm and send their dollars overseas, something has to give. By demanding a 15 dollar an hour job they increase the cost of the product, because if the employer is paying you 15 an hour his cost for employing you is about 20 dollars an hour. If you want things to get better in America the support America, don't ***** about your wages then send you money to China, Mexico or where ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,421,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
People are really bad about making assumptions about others. Shame on them...and you for perpetuating nasty 'rumors'.
EXACTLY, people are bad about making assumptions about others and the left has made a whole lot of wrong assumptions about people who believe in self sufficiency. I am not talking about bankers but I am talking about everyday, hard working, trying to do a good job GOOD people. I've heard every attack coming from the self proclaimed "caring" left but it only proved you are just as greedy as you claim the uber rich are.

There are people who are perfectly capable of working and whine it isn't enough, get this, as long as they can get away with it they will always whine. You are legally stealing from others...

I doubt Obama will get it for you anyway, he got what he wanted from you and you don't even realize you are the end target.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
EXACTLY, people are bad about making assumptions about others and the left has made a whole lot of wrong assumptions about people who believe in self sufficiency. I am not talking about bankers but I am talking about everyday, hard working, trying to do a good job GOOD people. I've heard every attack coming from the self proclaimed "caring" left but it only proved you are just as greedy as you claim the uber rich are.

There are people who are perfectly capable of working and whine it isn't enough, get this, as long as they can get away with it they will always whine. You are legally stealing from others...

I doubt Obama will get it for you anyway, he got what he wanted from you and you don't even realize you are the end target.
Don't know what this has to do with the post I wrote. I sure don't recall ever saying the "uber rich" are "greedy". I am one of those people trying to do a good job and I believe I am 'good people'. How am I "greedy"? "I" am "legally stealing from others"?? How so?

I don't expect Obama to get anything for me. What do you think I want from him? And what did he get from me? Besides my vote. Yes, I voted for him and so what?

The "assumptions" I was talking about were the ones people make about other people that they don't know are true or false. They simply repeat whatever they've heard or been told and run with it. I don't think anything you wrote had anything to do with what *I* wrote.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Walmart notes returns and you only get to do a couple without a receipt. After that the computer tells them this is your third return or whatever in a year and they become much more questioning and treat what you're doing with a bit of suspicion. Based on what I've seen, I think your story is BS.

Years ago, some of my legal practice involved collections law. Some of the poor, used to write bad checks and that was a problem. You know what? They can't do it anymore. Few merchants will take checks. Abuses that poor people commit are being dealt with.

Like some others here, I do think some people are unduly fixated on the poor. Well-to-do people abuse this system in far worse ways. No one ever seems to argue that the well-to-do ought to be "means-tested" before they claim Medicare benefits. A certain presidential candidate receives 48% of the popular vote after bragging about paying a meager 14% tax rate on $10 million of income in one year. We have wealthy farmers and agri-business who receive huge subsidies NOT to grow crops every year. We even give subsidies to tobacco farmers. Than there are the "banksters" who got billions of dollars in loans from this country to keep their institutions on their feet after making hordes of bad financial decisions.

Many people abuse this system. Please don't just "cherry pick" and stereotype the ones you don't like.
two of the worst welfare abusers i know are well off,own multi rentals,stocks,and recently got a huge reward from an auto accident law suit---they collect social security,are on medicaid,and get monthly ss money for their 12 yr old(why i don't know cause there is no mental or physical disability there)

most non whites i met cannot get all this even if they need it imo

Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Wow, there are loads and loads of manure being dumped on this thread. Just... wow!

Let's put an end to ALL welfare abuse - from the top down. From CEOs to Welfare Mamas.

The fact is that it could be done. But politicians don't want to.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Wow, there are loads and loads of manure being dumped on this thread. Just... wow!

Let's put an end to ALL welfare abuse - from the top down. From CEOs to Welfare Mamas.

The fact is that it could be done. But politicians don't want to.
That's so true,,,, everybody wants their entitlements, the rich and the poor. There are those who DON'T want to pay more taxes and there are those who CAN'T pay more taxes........ but everyone is entitled aren't they .................................... now where do I get some more tax write offs!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
What's your definition of a "Welfare Queen"?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would hope not but I've heard of welfare types buying cheap soft drinks because the food stamps pays for the can or bottle deposit, then they pour out the drinks to get the cash refunds on the cans. Then they can buy cigarettes or beer.
Stop lying! You heard nothing of the sort.

You really believe that welfare and foodstamps pays enough for a person to be able to do this?? Seriously???

Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How about the corporate welfare abuse like BP and GE to name just two? Is that “welfare abuse”? Instead of looking at the nickel and dime welfare look at the Big Billions of Corporate welfare for a change……..
Don't forget Walmart and their slave wages. They actively encourage workers to get on public assistance such as foodstamps and medicaid, so they don't have to pay them decently or get benefits.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My wife’s elderly aunt (93yrs old) is living by herself in a home she owns. Her only source of income is SSA and a small pension check of $100 bucks from when she worked in a meat packing company. A social worker visits her every month to do a checkup on her condition. The social worker said, “You’re income is too low” and you should be getting food stamps. She applied for this government entitlement for the aunt who is now getting $16 a month ~ YES $16 a month in food stamps. I sure hope these entitlements are not busting the government. $16 a month = a loaf of bread a carton of milk, and a can of spam each month. Could this be welfare fraud?
Absolutely disgraceful!! The government should be ashamed.

There is starvation in the United States, but no one wants to talk about it. Truly, truly disgusting.

You have Bill Clinton to be blame for this with the Welfare Reform Act. It did nothing, but plunge millions of americans further and further into despair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates