Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:32 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

I see it all the time on CD that some young"professional" is looking to re-locate here or there,and this word"professional" really ticks me off in the sense that it is used.
What are these"professionals" proficient at doing?
What makes them any different than someone who has had the same job for years, and is a professional at it?
It appears to me that these "young professionals" think they are above every one else.
A professional is any one who works, and is proficient at it, while getting paid to do it.
A contractor is a professional.
A trash engineer is a professional.
A car salesman is a professional.
A dog walker is a professional.
Where do these haudy taudy people who claim to be a "young professional come off thinking they are better than any other professional worker?
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,217,887 times
Presumably they mean "professional" in the sense of doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Where do these haudy taudy people who claim to be a "young professional come off thinking they are better than any other professional worker?
Bob.
I think its really funny how many times I heard "money isn't everything" when I was growing up in a society where 99% of people firmly believe the opposite.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Presumably they mean "professional" in the sense of doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc.
Are they any more professional then a trash engineer who has been picking up trash for 10 years and is good at his job, while getting paid for it?
Or, a cowhand who ropes cattle for a living?
I think not.
Bob.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Are they any more professional then a trash engineer who has been picking up trash for 10 years and is good at his job, while getting paid for it?
Or, a cowhand who ropes cattle for a living?
I think not.
Bob.
Professionals can run the gamut, but I imagine an advanced skill set is going to be involved. A person can certainly be a professional carpenter, but I don't think picking up garbage requires honed skill...if you have an IQ >60 at least.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Professionals can run the gamut, but I imagine an advanced skill set is going to be involved. A person can certainly be a professional carpenter, but I don't think picking up garbage requires honed skill...if you have an IQ >60 at least.
I think this is the point, indeed.
Specialized skill set in a vocation.

Not something any 12 year old could do.

From the dictionary for 'profession':

a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation

Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think this is the point, indeed.
Specialized skill set in a vocation.

Not something any 12 year old could do.

From the dictionary for 'profession':

a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation
I think of a professional as someone who is an "expert" in their field.. thus requiring more than just the basic education. A bachelor's degree doesn't make you an expert.. To have expert standing, you have to have gone above and beyond... Master's, doctorate, M.D., MBA, etc.... no less.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM

What about baseball players?
What about basketball players?
What about golfers to name just a few.
Are they not professionals in their field, and do they not get paid for what they do?
Professional is a person who is skilled at what they do, and receive a salary for whatever it is they are a professional at.
This crap about having to have some sort of degree is nonsense in order to be called a professional.
I believe "young professional" is nothing but a term people use to elevate themselves from regular people, when in fact they are no better than the rest of us working slobs.
Bob.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
What about baseball players?
What about basketball players?
What about golfers to name just a few.
Are they not professionals in their field, and do they not get paid for what they do?
Professional is a person who is skilled at what they do, and receive a salary for whatever it is they are a professional at.
This crap about having to have some sort of degree is nonsense in order to be called a professional.
I believe "young professional" is nothing but a term people use to elevate themselves from regular people, when in fact they are no better than the rest of us working slobs.
Bob.
I would be surprised if people actually put that level of thought into it.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I would be surprised if people actually put that level of thought into it.
And therein lies the big mistake.
People don't think.
A small analysis of "professional" shows that a degree is not necessary to be called a professional.
"Young professional" is nothing more than a phrase some people use to elevate themselves from the other working slobs.
They are no better than any one else.
Here is a good example of a professional in the form of a question.
Who would you rather have take care of your property when it comes to landscaping, a "professional" landscape contractor, or some one who claims to be a young professional"?
One more thing; The term "young professional" is nonsense to begin with.
More often than not, to be called a professional in your chosen occupation, takes years of on the job experience.
Young people have not lived long enough to accumulate years of experience to be called professional.
I have been in real estate for much of my adult life, and I am good at what I do.
I am C.E.O. of a professional property management company.
The only way I got to be in this position was through many years of employment in the field.
I don't have a college degree of any kind, nor did I need one to become the "professional I am.
Being a "young professional" just isn't possible.
Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 03-16-2013 at 09:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates