Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 04:19 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
It's not as if anyone argues that guns get up by themselves and shoot people. Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a culture shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Ahem....yeah, that's right............

PEOPLE. WITH. GUNS!!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 PM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Ahem....yeah, that's right............

PEOPLE. WITH. GUNS!!
"Would you feel better if they were pushed out of windows?" - Archie Bunker

People with guns CAN kill others. IF they kill others, then prosecute accordingly. If they kill no one, then don't prosecute. Don't take away their protection and property.

"Guns make it easier to kill people. Easier to kill MORE people, and quickly."

So as long as the kill is "earned," and you don't kill too many people, and drag it out…

I swear, it seems like some people care less about the murdered than the method of said murder.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:58 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,755,177 times
Anything can be used as a weapon. The person behind the weapon is the problem. If someone wants to kill someone and a gun is not available they will choose something else to use. The end result will be the same.

Ban guns and the average innocent citizen will comply. The maniac that wants to kill someone will still find a gun on the black market somehow and use it. The end result will be the same.

The common denominator here again is the person behind the weapon...that's the real problem.

This thread reminds me of the shirt from Happy Gilmore "Guns don't kill people, I kill people", lol

Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
If you take a loaded firearm and place it on a table, if No One ever touches it, it will never go off; every time a firearm goes off, a person is applying force to the trigger to make the gun work.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
It's quite simple: if you don't like guns, don't buy one, don't have anything to do with one. But don't trample on the rights of the law abiding to own one.

I once called the police for a group of people knocking on the door at 3am. Took the police 9 minutes to get there. Idiots were looking for the house next door to rejoin their party but I didn't know that at the time. 4 people and 2 cars outside. The 9 minutes went by slow enough, I couldn't imagine what a single woman with her child or an elderly person would feel like waiting 9 minutes for the police to get there when who is on the other side of the door and their intentions are unknown.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
The Gun Debate simply will not go away will it?

There's reasons for that.

People are heartily sick of being shot at in schoolyards, fearing their kids being shot at.

Sensible Gun Control works just like Drivers Licences.

Making people pass an exam before they drive weapons of destruction on the roads is a no brainer, yet somehow doing the same for hand held weapons is an Affront to Freedom.

I more value the freedom of my kids to go to school without worrying about whos armed to the teeth and whos just walking funny.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM

794 posts, read 818,152 times
Firearms ownership is a right guaranteed in the US constitution. If you don't like it, simply follow the mechanisms already in place for changing/amending the COTUS.

Good luck with that btw, there is a reason anti gunners don't even try that route - they know they are in the minority and could never make it happen.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:18 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,183,909 times
Two-thirds of US households do not own guns. Gun owners are a minority.

Guns create death and mayhem. That's all they are actually good for. Keeping a gun in the home increases the chances that a resident will die from a gunshot wound by a factor of almost four. You want to keep your family safe? Get rid of your guns.

There is no such thing a law-abiding gun owner. There are only gun owners who have not yet mistakenly acted on impulse and shot someone.

The 2nd Amendment came into being as part of the compromises on slavery that were necessary in order to get the Constitution ratified by the necessary nine states. With slaves and slavery now gone, the justification for the amendment is also.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The Gun Debate simply will not go away will it?

There's reasons for that.

People are heartily sick of being shot at in schoolyards, fearing their kids being shot at.

Sensible Gun Control works just like Drivers Licences.

Making people pass an exam before they drive weapons of destruction on the roads is a no brainer, yet somehow doing the same for hand held weapons is an Affront to Freedom.

I more value the freedom of my kids to go to school without worrying about whos armed to the teeth and whos just walking funny.
The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution. There is nothing about driving in the Constitution which is a privilege, not a right. How about focusing our attention on those who actually commit a violent crime with a firearm instead of denying the rest of us our natural rights to defend ourselves which is afforded to us under the Constitution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Firearms ownership is a right guaranteed in the US constitution. If you don't like it, simply follow the mechanisms already in place for changing/amending the COTUS.

Good luck with that btw, there is a reason anti gunners don't even try that route - they know they are in the minority and could never make it happen.
It is unlikely to happen, and what anti-gun folks seem to not get is were there to be a mass gun grab, it would only benefit the criminals, because they aren't going to follow the rules anyway. In fact, in essence you would also be making law abiding gun owners criminals overnight. I know many who would fail to comply should an outright ban ever happen. Do those who seek to ban guns not realize the unrest and bloodshed it would cause? Prohibition of anything i.e. guns, marijuana, alcohol...ect... does not work, and only creates a black market and in essence more crime! What is needed is to get tougher on those who use a gun other than in self-defense to commit a violent crime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Two-thirds of US households do not own guns. Gun owners are a minority.

Guns create death and mayhem. That's all they are actually good for. Keeping a gun in the home increases the chances that a resident will die from a gunshot wound by a factor of almost four. You want to keep your family safe? Get rid of your guns.

There is no such thing a law-abiding gun owner. There are only gun owners who have not yet mistakenly acted on impulse and shot someone.

The 2nd Amendment came into being as part of the compromises on slavery that were necessary in order to get the Constitution ratified by the necessary nine states. With slaves and slavery now gone, the justification for the amendment is also.
You're not seriously going to try and come at us with this BS propaganda again in trying to use racism as the reason for the 2nd Amendment are you? Nobody is buying it! As for no such thing of a law-abiding gun owner, that is absolute rubbish! Furthermore, more people are killed in car accidents in this country than from being shot! Maybe we should ban cars? And finally, it is irrelevant as to how many households in this country have guns, but I do know that the majority of Americans still support the 2nd Amendment, and therefore good luck with trying to get it repealed.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,183,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You're not seriously going to try and come at us with this BS propaganda again in trying to use racism as the reason for the 2nd Amendment are you? Nobody is buying it!
It's simple historical fact. The slave-holding states were worried that the powerful new Congress would come to end slavery by disarming state militias. These militias were all that stood to defend white society in the hardly improbable event of a slave uprising. The Federalists agreed to add language to prohibit Congress from disarming these "slave patrol" militias, and that promise was given its effect in the 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
As for no such thing of a law-abiding gun owner, that is absolute rubbish!
Society does not exist as separate and distinct camps of good- and evil-doers. Every first offense gun crime is committed by someone who would previously have been classified in your world as a law-abider. We need to keep law-abiders from becoming gun criminals, and handing all of them guns is not the way to do it. Guns are an engine for turning fleeting impulses into enduring disasters.

Quote:
Furthermore, more people are killed in car accidents in this country than from being shot!
So what? Reducing the scandalous levels of gun-related death and mayhem out there is a good and noble thing in and of itself. So is working to reduce the number of traffic fatalities, which we of course also do.

Quote:
And finally, it is irrelevant as to how many households in this country have guns...
It's important to know that in fact it is a distinct minority of American households that actually owns guns, much less wants to run around in public with them.

Quote:
...but I do know that the majority of Americans still support the 2nd Amendment, and therefore good luck with trying to get it repealed.
Who said anything about repealing it? Is it all just black and white where you are? No shades of gray at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates