Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times

Advertisements

Forgot I made this post! It's a good one though. Lots of good responses.

I agree with whats said it's best if we base what we eat with consideration to intelligence.

So I think eating primates or whales or dolphins would be very unethical. They're probably not tasty either.
Then eating mammals in general would be a little more ethical, and healthier.
Then eating birds is a little more ethical and healthier,
And fish more so,

And shellfish are the ideal meat to eat, ethically because they have no brain so to speak of, and healthiest because they are high in protein, low in fat, rich in minerals, low in diseases if cooked right, and low in LDL cholesterol. Shrimp has lots of HDL and LDL cholesterol, but they aren't as bad as other meat.

Just because some culture ate something in the past does not mean that it is ethical to do what they did.

Also, what matters is how the animal was raised, not how it died. If the animal experienced 1 hour of hell before dying, yes that's bad, but if it lived a meaningless and pleasure-less life, that's much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I have never understood why some people won't eat veal, or lamb, because they are too cute. All mammals are cute, birds are cute, and some fish are cute, so if you can kill and eat anything, I don't see how it matters what it is. It's all about conditioning. I can throw a lobster into a pot of boiling water, without a thought. My son can shoot Bambi and gut it in the field. I'm sure slaughter houses are horrific.
It is all about your mindset, and how hungry you are. If you have a choice of starving, or killing a chicken, you kill a chicken. If you can buy ready to eat vegetarian meals at Whole Foods any time you want, you have a different mindset. Most of us fall in between.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I agree with whats said it's best if we base what we eat with consideration to intelligence.

So I think eating primates or whales or dolphins would be very unethical. They're probably not tasty either.
And fish more so,

And shellfish are the ideal meat to eat, ethically because they have no brain so to speak of, and healthiest because they are high in protein, low in fat, rich in minerals, low in diseases if cooked right, and low in LDL cholesterol. Shrimp has lots of HDL and LDL cholesterol, but they aren't as bad as other meat.

Just because some culture ate something in the past does not mean that it is ethical to do what they did.

Also, what matters is how the animal was raised, not how it died. If the animal experienced 1 hour of hell before dying, yes that's bad, but if it lived a meaningless and pleasure-less life, that's much worse.
Who are you to determine what's "best" or what's "ethical" for anyone other than yourself? You are talking as if you are declaring absolutes.

One hour of hell? Who determines what's "hell?" What about bison living in the frigid harsh winter of Yellowstone freezing to death during winter? That's just nature.

Are you really prepared to determine that an animal's life had pleasure and meaning? How would you assess such a thing?

You can choose to live your life however you choose. Your arguments are not really 100% sound.

ETA: The problem with discussions like this is that people only think in terms of dogs, cats, cows, pigs, and chickens. They forget that the animal kingdom is vast and that nature is BRUTAL. Animals kill other animals all the time. Not for the squeamish but look at this clip. What about all the meaning and pleasure here?

If a human kills and eats a chicken, that's wrong? But if a coyote kills and eats a chicken, that's ignored?

Last edited by charlygal; 01-31-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Forgot I made this post! It's a good one though. Lots of good responses.

And fish more so,

I had whale for dinner last month and I do not think it was unethical at all, and it was actually tasty. I consider it as ethical cause a whale lives free its whole life. I do not value animals I eat by intelligence, pigs are some of the most intelligent animals on this planet, yet most of us eats them.

What is ethical or not is up to each culture I guess. In most of India for example its considered extremely unethical to kill cows (illegal in most Indian states) or even consuming beef.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Personally I dont think there is any animal I wouldn't eat, I'm in for it all and I love new and exotic foods.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Personally I dont think there is any animal I wouldn't eat, I'm in for it all and I love new and exotic foods.
Including human?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Including human?
That's actually an interesting question. I would bet that the percentage of modern humans who would choose to consume human tissue rather than starve to death is far higher than any of us sitting at our computers with a lifetime of nearly guaranteed uninterrupted flow of calories into our respective mouths would guess (or accept).

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I had whale for dinner last month and I do not think it was unethical at all, and it was actually tasty. I consider it as ethical cause a whale lives free its whole life. I do not value animals I eat by intelligence, pigs are some of the most intelligent animals on this planet, yet most of us eats them.

What is ethical or not is up to each culture I guess. In most of India for example its considered extremely unethical to kill cows (illegal in most Indian states) or even consuming beef.
And, really, what is moral is up to each of us individually.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,330,462 times
exactly, morality is mostly a personal opinion. Who are we to condemn others? We have to have laws to protect eachother and ourselves and especially "the weak". We need some rules for society to work. As far as eating meat or not and what animal can be easten, depends on culture, regional social laws, ...Being vegan is just another fashion statement for most. Condemning others who are different from ourselves too. It's not well thought out most of the time.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
exactly, morality is mostly a personal opinion. Who are we to condemn others? We have to have laws to protect eachother and ourselves and especially "the weak". We need some rules for society to work. As far as eating meat or not and what animal can be easten, depends on culture, regional social laws, ...Being vegan is just another fashion statement for most. Condemning others who are different from ourselves too. It's not well thought out most of the time.
Maggie: Do you know how to recognize if someone is a vegan? It's easy, he or she will tell you immediately and repeatedly.

*Vegans: Please note that this is just a joke. Also note that it's funny because it's usually true. I respect your conviction and discipline.

Last edited by Cleonidas; 02-04-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates