Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
But just think of all the poor plants that would die. Why are people so concerned about an animal being killed, but not concerned about killing a plant. I feel they are equally important. That is why I treat all my food with respect. Most of the things I eat have given their life to provide me sustenance. And I am appreciative of that.
Now I agree with this. To be squeamish about eating animals but offer eating plants as a supposedly morally superior alternative is speciest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Why do most people have no problem eating cows, but get repulsed by the thought of eating horse or dog? And what makes cats so special that they can't appear on our dinner plates? And why do some vegetarians eat fish? Are fish not animals? I understand the people who eat no meat, by why do those who do eat meat feel that some animals are ok to eat and others are not?
I guess it's just because certain animals are domesticated pets for some and not for others...or other religious reasons etc.

If I didn't know what I was eating...liked it and then told it was dog/cat/pigeon etc I guess I'd keep eating it.
THat is if you can find fresh pigeon at Whole Foods

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Why do most people have no problem eating cows, but get repulsed by the thought of eating horse or dog? And what makes cats so special that they can't appear on our dinner plates? And why do some vegetarians eat fish? Are fish not animals? I understand the people who eat no meat, by why do those who do eat meat feel that some animals are ok to eat and others are not?
Cultural upbringing. Predispositions. As in - physical ones, as I know a guy who was born sick to any meat.
Religions. Some animals are simply not a good food. EG, there's good reason pig should not be eaten. Does not have sweat glands. Retains much more toxins inside.
But yes, anything that is of killed, should not be eaten. Read
The Essene Gospel of Peace

Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
In Borneo some folks like them a nice fresh MONKEY fixed on the barbie . I can see it now McMonkey burgers

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Reindeer is sooo good. And so is horse meet. Horse meet i grew up eating was used as sandwich topping.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
There's several reasons apart from cultural as to why most people don't eat the meat of carnivores. From a farming perspective, it would be nonsensical to have to feed an animal meat in order to turn it into some other meat further down the line.

I've also heard (can't vouch for myself) that the meat of carnivores is not tasty to most people in comparison to the meat of grazers.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Chowing down on a kitty cat chop or a puppy dog loaf would turn me off food for awhile. In Siberia, moose nose stew is considered a delicacy. I would try it because I think that nose would be the texture of a chicken gizzard. After ordering goat in a Vietnamese restaurant, I think it was, I took a couple of small bites and that was it. For one thing, the preparation was extremely unappetizing. The little goat was chopped up whole, bone and all. Bleah!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Now I agree with this. To be squeamish about eating animals but offer eating plants as a supposedly morally superior alternative is speciest.
Can anyone address this? Why is eating plant a morally superor choice? Plants are living creatures as well. They grow, breathe, take in nutrients, give birth (i.e. divide and produce seed), etc. Some people have done tests where plants have "reacted" to human stimuli.

Why is eating plants okay?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Interesting question. I think the stigma against eating, for example, dog or horse in Americo-Anglo culture comes from the idea that a horse or a dog's value as (i) a companion and (ii) a working partner exceeds their respective caloric values. Cats are just gross and outdoor cats can give you trichinosis.

I think that's really the basis of the Kosher principle of "cloven hoof and chews the cud"... Cloven hooved ruminants do not get larval trichinella spiralis in their muscle tissue.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Can anyone address this? Why is eating plant a morally superor choice? Plants are living creatures as well. They grow, breathe, take in nutrients, give birth (i.e. divide and produce seed), etc. Some people have done tests where plants have "reacted" to human stimuli.

Why is eating plants okay?
I understand the motivation for this question (I kill, butcher and store the preponderance of my animal foods myself), but I think it's fairly objective that vegetative life doesn't have a capacity to suffer like more sophisticated fauna with central nervous systems. I still disagree that eating a plant is morally superior or that the lack of a strict need for an omnivorous diet somehow obligates me or anyone else to avoid eating meat, dairy, eggs or fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates