Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
...and if you support a child's right to bear arms, should a minor child have the right to Conceal Carry?

Many minors illegally conceal carry now, just like many adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
How about driving a motor vehicle? If a 12 year old drives grandma to the ER he or she is in violation of the law and can be charged with a juvenile offense. Save a life and go directly to jail. Sounds screwy to me but probably no one would agree. Is a kid behind the wheel of a car any more dangerous than a kid with a 12 gauge shotgun?

You are aware you can legally drive under the age of 16 in many states, particularly rural areas?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You are aware you can legally drive under the age of 16 in many states, particularly rural areas?
I am aware that you will got straight to the police station in most heavily populated areas.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
A farm Lic does ristrict one from going to the "big city"

but a hardship license does not, you could live in the big city.

A hardship license (Class H) may be issued to a minor who is 14 years old to operate either a Class D passenger vehicle or Class M motorcycle or both. This license is only issued in cases of family hardship and are limited to specific needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I am aware that you will got straight to the police station in most heavily populated areas.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM

25 posts, read 36,306 times
Children are legally the property of their parents, so they do not have 2nd amendment rights. The only rights they do have are to food, shelter, education, and general well-being.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
I've learned a lot by reading everyone's post. I find it interesting that some, if not all posts, say that minor children do not have the 2nd amendment right to own or posses firearms.

In some posts some used the anology of drinking age or driving age restrictions...but both consuming alcohol and driving are not constitutional rights but privileges? A better example is the voting age.

I have totally changed my opinion and understand the restriction of minor children to excersize their 2nd amendment right until they are of age.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Dictionary View Post
Children are legally the property of their parents, so they do not have 2nd amendment rights. The only rights they do have are to food, shelter, education, and general well-being.
I could be wrong, but I believe the correct legal term is "ward". No one is the property of another person...even if that person is the parent.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
There's nothing wrong with children learning about firearms, firearm safety, and safe shooting skills from a very early age just as they need to learn about traffic safety, water safety, bike safety, fire safety, etc.
Never too early to teach kids how to kill.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Checking Vermont law, the age of legal firearm ownership is 16. Under 16, a child can own a gun with the consent of his/her parent or guardian.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In Texas you have to be 18 to own or possess a long gun and 21 to own or possess a handgun so no, kids do not have second amendment rights IMHO. Nor should they have them. You should absolutely have to be an adult to purchase a firearm.

I don't have any objection to parents teaching their children firearm safety and allowing their children to use firearms in well-supervised situations, however. I do not believe anyone under the age of 18 should have free access to a firearm, not even a pellet gun.
"I do not believe anyone under the age of 18 should have free access to a firearm, not even a pellet gun"

What do you think would /could have happened to this 12 year old girl if she DIDN'T have "easy" access to a gun?

"A 12-year-old Oklahoma girl took extreme measures to protect herself when an unfamiliar man broke into her home last Wednesday. The girl, who was home alone during a day off from school, shot and wounded the home intruder, local NBC affiliate KTEN News reports."[LEFT]
Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/23/...#ixzz2LqSBrnQH
[/LEFT]

It wasn't too long ago kids, from 12 and up, took their rifles and shotguns to school with them.

In the late 50's Wash. D.C. had shooting clubs and kids took their guns to school.

I find it odd that some of the same people who don't want kids under the age of 18 to be able to have guns but, support girls under 18 being able to elect to have abortions WITHOUT their parents notification and consent. ( Not saying you).

Many kids on farms drive and operate big complicated machinery yet can't drive a car on the streets.

Many kids 12 and up do cooking at home. should they be allowed to use a stove unsupervised?

It is legal in some states to marry at 16.

IMO, it all depends on how the kids have been taught and how responsible THEY are.

Blanket statements usually don't cover the complexity of the issue.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 02-24-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates