Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM

87 posts, read 212,989 times

Advertisements

I get a kick out of the majority of people on these sites and other similar ones to it.....who seem to imply how rotten and evil and backwards a particular city or town is, if it lacks racial diversity. Then they seem to imply that the city or town lacking in diversity is racist and a bad place to live.

I believe this emanates from political correctness a lot of the time....giving particular folks a 'warm fuzzy feeling"....and/or to feel good about themselves. I grew up in a very very diverse city......and I love people no matter when creed, color and etc. But I also have no problem living a predomantly white city or town just as well. Just like Japenese people have no issues livng in Japan which is predominantly Japanese.....or just like People in Sweden have no issues living with predemoninatly white Swedish people. Why arent most the other countries of the world....demonizing a lack in diversity in their states or countries??? People are people, attitude is what counts I would think. Also what is so evil about white people preferring to live around other white people, or asians preferrnig to live around more asians.....or blacks preferring to move to Atanta for instance, to be around more of their own folks??????

I think we are nastily politically correct to a fault here in the states.....I am always reading someone say how lacking in diversity somewhere like Boise Idaho is....and implying that Boise is racist and rotten due to the fact. Then others chime in following the herd, like sheep.....and expressing guilt and agreement to how evil Boise is due to it being predominantly white. Such BS....and the political correctness in America is staggering.....imo.

When you go to China do you ask or scold the Chinese on why there are only Chinese people mostly in China?? It is a non-issue to them. Why does it come out of every American's mouth here on city-data..time and time again?? My thoughts are that diversity is lovely and wonderful but so is non-diversity if that is what one prefers, maybe due to feeling more in tune or wanting to be in an environement with others similiar to oneself.....if people want and crave and rave about wanting diversity so heavily, from their home in South Dakota.....I suggest selling your house out on the prairie and moving to the Bronx NY. This would be the thing to actually do....not to get on some online forum and be a key board jockey and rave about it....in my opinion....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times
I pretty much agree with the op's assesment.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
In a global economy, the places that will thrive the most are the places where the most people have a global outlook, which almost always translates to ethnic and cultural diversity or, at least, an appreciation thereof.

Since Japan was mentioned as a monocultural place: how is Japan doing these days, and how does its future look? Its birthrate is far below replacement rate, and it refuses to admit immigrants in any significant number. In other words, Japan is -- quite literally -- dying.

We now return you to Version #4,728 of the standard "Waaa! Why does everyone pick on white people?" rant.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times
The thing about Japan, China and Sweden is they're pretty much a homogenized countries... as in there isn't that much racial diversity to contend with. So not really that great examples to use.

If a poster is asking about it, does it really affect you? No. If you don't want to answer that question, then don't. Its equally annoying when you have posters like yourself proselytizing about how wrong/flawed it is.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
I think they like diversity in other people's cities, but not in their city. NIMBY

Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

785 posts, read 1,881,261 times
I don't know if there's anything of interest on it for you, but I started a thread near on two years ago with a similar theme.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...gh-esteem.html

Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,365 times
Racial diversity in urban settings usually only seems to be a necessity for ishy-squishy lefties (often white ones) who can't feel good about themselves if they don't see enough dark skin when they venture out of their upscale high-rise apartments and condominiums.

Incidentally, these are likely the sort of people who would never inhabit any urban neighborhood where whites don't comprise at least a plurality of the population.

It's funny.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Personally I mostly just care about the variety of food and cuisines that diversity brings with it.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
I grew up in a small town that was about 80% white and 20% black with just a small number of other minorities. I am white. Though classes and activities, I got to interact with the black kids my age and I felt I had a richer school experience as a result of doing so.

As an adult, I spent 26 years working in Houston, which has a rich mix of Anglo, Hispanic, African American and Asian cultures. In addition, there are a number of people who live there from all over the world because Houston is the center of the US energy industry. In those years in Houston, I was inspired to learn new languages, attend performances of African American and Hispanic theatre companies, attend Chinese New Year, Cinco de Mayo and Juneteeth celebrations, and ate foods I might never have known about in the homes of friends and in small ethnic restaurants. As a result of these experiences and others, I feel privileged to have caught a small glimpse of the world through eyes other than my middle-aged white ones.

As a result of my experience in Houston, diversity was indeed a factor I considered when choosing to move to a new city two years ago. If folks want to live in areas where everyone else is like them, that is their free choice and I don't judge them. I, however, purposely sought to live in a diverse city - not because it is "politically correct" to do so, but because my life is richer as a result.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Partly PC, but the real reason is so people can brag about their cities being superior by some statistical metric.

See: population density, population, GDP, # of Fortune 500 Companies, tallest buildings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates