Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Is being sexually attracted to children a choice?

If not, should we allow those who are to excersize their "freedom of choice"?
Children can't consent to sex.

Sex with children, especially with babies and toddlers, usually ends up killing them or severely injuring them.

Children don't have any choice.

Comparing consenting gay adults having sex with each other to pedophiles who hunt, stalk and brutally rape and destroy children is absolutely absurd. There is no valid comparison.

Pedophiles do not choose to be sexually attracted to children but they don't have the right to act on their attraction to children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 AM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I had this discussion with my GF earlier this week. I'm am in a same sex relationship currrently, but was in a long-term relationship with a member of the opposite sex. I hate all the terms, bisexual, gay, lexbian etc, it's just a way to put us all into buckets for scientific purposes. Anyway, I don't think we are entirely born gay. I think there is a spectrum and we each fall somewhere along that spectrum. And because of that, I can only speak for myself. In my instance, I believe I had gay tendencies always, however, as I got older my attraction to women increased over my attraction to men. I think I might have been born with a "curiousity" but environmental and cultural factors caused me to act on this curiosity.

Now, some people say they've known they were gay since age 6 and never had interest in the opposite sex. Obviously they are on a different part of the spectrum than I am. Just as those that have never had a homosexual thought in their life.
^^^^This will be a more common and accepted view in the future and people will realize that there is a huge amount of variation and not try to lock everyone into little buckets. I'm not all that open minded when it comes to getting involved with a women who goes back and forth between men and women but I fine with anyone else that does it.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times
Quote:

Homosexuality is a symptom that something went wrong genetically.
Let me guess - you believe that homosexuality is wrong because they can't naturally have children.

Because the only purpose for being alive to breed mindlessly?

What's your opinion on heterosexual men and women who choose NOT to have ANY children AT ALL?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
I would say that it is either by choice, genetics or both.

Humans are socially conditioned to think the norm is being straight, as we are constantly reminded that God intended for Adam and Eve to be together. So you have say, people who turned gay from straight after failed relationships; these are the people who CHOOSE to be gay or not.

In fact, even amongst straight people, the degree of masculinity in men or feminism in women varies. In the case of men, there are the most masculine, less masculine, masculine-feminine and most feminine ones. Such spectrum of masculinity often determines the likelihood of a guy in changing his sexual orientation.
I do not believe that a man's "masculinity" has anything to do with his sexual orientation. I think that is a cruel remark. There is no spectrum of attraction. Man-man, woman-woman, woman-man and for those that can't make up their minds about if they are man or woman, I'm not sure where they fall. This has a lot to do with mental health and attitudes about sexual relationships. Being straight is normal and everyone knows that and that is why they want to stamp a relationship "marriage" rather than "civil union" - an "Oh, God, please make our activities be considered normal." It will always and forever be considered a deviant lifestyle and a lifestyle is a choice.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Ohh look, another homo phobe coming up with a ridiculous argument about gays.

I'll answer your question. Children cannot exercise consent. Especially young children that pedophiles are attracted to. So no, they shouldn't be allowed to exercise the choice because one of the parties cannot consent.
Legally you are correct, but common sense tells you that isn't true.

Many countries allow kids as young as 13 to marry, which is considered barbaric by American standards but completely normal by theirs.

Oh, that pesky biology, menstruation cycle says its read to 'consent' far before the law does.

Pedofiles are similar to homosexuals because their sexual attraction is abnormal by definition. Both are low percentages of the population, whether by choice or birth.

I would also add bestials, polygamist, asexuals and trannies to the group too.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Let me guess - you believe that homosexuality is wrong because they can't naturally have children.

Because the only purpose for being alive to breed mindlessly?

What's your opinion on heterosexual men and women who choose NOT to have ANY children AT ALL?
It is common knowledge that one of the pinnacle achievements of life is to reproduce healthy offspring of your own. To deny it is a failure of basic scientific understanding.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That was more ridiculous than the post you commented about. The poster didn't say anything about children exercising consent, specifically they wrote about the person who wants to have sex with children. In other words, had you chosen not to jump to conclusions and run up the chant, the question was if adults wanting to have sex with children is a choice or something they are born to.

Thanks for proving that the phobias run as deep within the homosexual community as in any other. It must be very convenient to apply such thinking to everyone else but yourselves.
No ridiculous at all. Look what the guy wrote.

The question was not only
Quote:
the question was if adults wanting to have sex with children is a choice or something they are born to.
BUT ALSO,
Quote:
If not, should we allow those who are to excersize their "freedom of choice"?
Which is why I posted what I did.

Generally, allowing someone to "exercise" their attraction means to act on it.

So I have no idea where you get there's any phobia in that post. I was pointing out the ridiculous logic of it all.

I really don't care if two grown men are attracted to each other.

Stereotype much? I'm not gay nor do I have the slightest attraction to any man. I'm just a normal straight guy.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I do not believe that a man's "masculinity" has anything to do with his sexual orientation. I think that is a cruel remark.
Wow, for a minute there you actually sounded sympathetic to gay people, as if you are angry that people would call them "not masculine." But you are wrong on the science. There is scientific evidence about a "feminizing" of the brain that sometimes happens in the fetus that, some scientists speculate, leads to the (male) person being gay. (They haven't found something similar about lesbians, as far as I know.)

Quote:
There is no spectrum of attraction. Man-man, woman-woman, woman-man and for those that can't make up their minds about if they are man or woman, I'm not sure where they fall. This has a lot to do with mental health and attitudes about sexual relationships. Being straight is normal and everyone knows that and that is why they want to stamp a relationship "marriage" rather than "civil union" - an "Oh, God, please make our activities be considered normal." It will always and forever be considered a deviant lifestyle and a lifestyle is a choice.
Again, you're wrong on the science. Most research on sexuality shows that there IS a spectrum of attraction. In general, this has nothing to do with "mental health" (good G-d!).

"Deviant lifestyle"? My sister is a lesbian and her "lifestyle" is pretty much the same as mine except that she is attracted to women and I am attracted to men. She is an amazing human being as well, although I don't think that has anything to do with her sexual orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It is common knowledge that one of the pinnacle achievements of life is to reproduce healthy offspring of your own. To deny it is a failure of basic scientific understanding.
Um, 2 15-year-olds fumbling around in the back seat of a car can "produce healthy offspring." I wouldn't call that a "pinnacle achievement." In the bio sense, yes, humans AS A WHOLE must reproduce in order for the species to continue, but to say that is a "pinnacle achievement" of individual humans is absurd.

When I think about major accomplishments of individual human beings, "reproducing" is NOWHERE on the list. In fact, with the people throughout history that I admire the most, I have no idea whether most of them even had kids. Certainly that's not something that I would judge them by.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,193,082 times
Quote:
I do not believe that a man's "masculinity" has anything to do with his sexual orientation.
Agreed.

Quote:
There is no spectrum of attraction. Man-man, woman-woman, woman-man and for those that can't make up their minds about if they are man or woman, I'm not sure where they fall.
Not true. & thus the well-researched Kinsey scale.

People who are attracted to both sexes do not have a problem with "making up their mind." Perhaps they assume they must be one orientation, then later find they are really another due to social conditioning that likes to force people into boxes that are easy to define & understand.

For many people their sexuality is fluid & not permanently fixed. There is nothing unnatural about that.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Legally you are correct, but common sense tells you that isn't true.

Many countries allow kids as young as 13 to marry, which is considered barbaric by American standards but completely normal by theirs.

Oh, that pesky biology, menstruation cycle says its read to 'consent' far before the law does.

Pedofiles are similar to homosexuals because their sexual attraction is abnormal by definition. Both are low percentages of the population, whether by choice or birth.

I would also add bestials, polygamist, asexuals and trannies to the group too.
You're mixing two groups of people.

Children are prepubescent. They aren't developed nor are they teenagers having menstruation cycles.

Teenagers who are through puberty are biologically developed. They can and do get pregnant and it's not really that weird to be attracted to some of them. However, the law reads 18 for a variety of reasons that goes past just sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates