Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times

Advertisements

Some women follow all the "rules" and still get raped, and others break all the "rules" and don't get raped. The people who have the actual control over who gets raped are the rapists. Period.

Some people act like rapists are being entrapped by women who make themselves vulnerable or some nonsense like that. Well. If that's the situation, it's about time then that they start getting the same advice women constantly get. "Travel with a buddy at night, to protect you from raping anyone!" "Don't get drunk without a sober sitter who can make sure you make it home safe without raping anyone!" "Wear clothing that makes it more difficult for you to rape anyone!" "Don't go off alone with a woman, you might rape her!"

Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
The man is solely responsible if he forces himself on a woman without her consent. No means no. I think its ridiculous to even ask the question.

That Montana judge should be thrown off the bench and I'd like to see him in jail too. He clearly was negligent in his duties and let his strange personal opinions cloud his judgement as to just punishment for such a violent crime. So much for justice. This is another case where the criminal is treated with more respect than the victim. Absolutely sickening, it makes me so angry.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:08 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Statutory rape is a gray area and everyone knows this.
There is nothing "gray" about statutory rate. By definition a statute definitively defines an age in which sexual intercourse is prohibited whether it is "consensual" or not. There is no maybe, sort of, or kinda about it. Of all the possible statutory definitions of sexual assault there is little wiggle room or ambiguity regarding when or under what circumstances the sexual intercourse took place.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Recently, a Montana judge said a 14 year old girl that was raped and later committed suicide made comments that she was partly to blame for her own rape. The rapist was sentenced 30 days.

A study showed Britons believe 1/3 of raped women were responsible because of their flirtatious actions. 1/4 believe women responsible for wearing provocative clothing.

What do you say? Can women be partly responsible when raped?
Well lets be real. I would say a great number of rapes are not a womans fault, blame, or in any way responsible for the outcome.

But, its a well documented fact that some women have a rape fantasy, and I suspect that some female behavior stems from that reality.

Our sexual appetites are far more driven by instinct then we humans like to give credit for. Its why people often say, "I don't know what I was thinking when...."

Rape is wrong, like killing people is wrong. How you address millions of years of instinct? Answer that for every person, solve a great deal of problems.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is an old story, sort of King Solomon courts.
Let's say, it is King Solomon court day.
A woman shows up and says - man such and such raped me, great King, punish him.
King sends guards and they turn that man in. Man is asked - did you rape that woman?
Man responds - no, Your Majesty, we had consensual sex. She then asked me for a hefty gift, I refused, she said - I'll regret that refusal. Here I am now, falsly accused.
King asks the woman - did it go the way, he describes it? No, says woman, he raped me and is lying.
Approach me, says King.
He gives woman a thread, and then holds a needle, ear up, between his thumb and index fingers.
Woman, say King, thread that needle, and I'll punish your rapist.
Woman, laughing at this task and feeling quick victory approaching, moves thread into the needle ear. But, same moment, King twists needle ever so slightly between the fingers. And every time, woman will try to drive thread through the ear, he will do same, failing her every time.
She finally loses her patience and yells - King, will you please stop twisting that needle?
Woman, responds wise King, would you have not stayed still, no man in the world would have been able to rape you..

I rest my case.
You are so wrong. IMHO, you don't understand rape.

A man is usually so much stronger than a woman, so she cannot get away; especially when that man has a knife or gun and his power adrenaline is pumping. The authorities keep telling women to NOT struggle in order to increase the chances of saving her life.

Rape isn't about the woman moving in sex; rape is about a man's power over women. If rape were about sex, then why would so many elderly women be raped? What is sexy about a 70 year old woman? Rape is about a man's power over women.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Recently, a Montana judge said a 14 year old girl that was raped and later committed suicide made comments that she was partly to blame for her own rape. The rapist was sentenced 30 days.

A study showed Britons believe 1/3 of raped women were responsible because of their flirtatious actions. 1/4 believe women responsible for wearing provocative clothing.

What do you say? Can women be partly responsible when raped?
If a man walks through a bad area flashing money and jewelry and gets beaten and robbed, he is an idiot and deserved it.

If a woman provocatively dressed to begin with gets staggering drunk around a group of men and gets "raped", she is a "victim".

Barring a grabbed off the street incident, any woman who exercises poor judgement prior to the so-called rape is at least partly responsible.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM

186 posts, read 362,332 times
all it takes to subdue her is a solid punch to the gut. She will be so winded and in pain that she is helpless. All this twisting and turning is bs put forward by wannabe rapists. The statutory thing IS a gray area, because the age chosen for the girl/ is so arbitrary. One day, she's jail bait, and next day, she's turned 18, and all is now perfectly ok? Plenty of women know as much about relationships( as they are ever going to learn), by age 16, and a few states recognize 14 (in prosecutions, if not in law)

Last edited by trundle; 09-05-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
All people need to be aware of their surrounding. Surround yourself with friends you trust and watch your drinks. Be careful when in unfamiliar places and with with strange people. Use good judgement. And if you feel uncomfortable at anytime . . . LEAVE. This applies to EVERYONE. This is not a gender based issue.

People also need to be aware that words and actions are for more indicative of a persons desires than their attire. Attractive, even sexy, clothes are not an invitation. But words and actions that say "yes" can place a person in a dangerous situation that me be difficult to back out of.

Maintain control over your own actions, and don't be afraid to leave.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
The law is very clear that a drunk woman raped in a frat house is not partly responsible. The rapist is responsible.

The law is equally clear that a driver carjacked in a bad neighborhood is not responsible. The carjacker is responsible.

Is there a confusion for you about the differences between legally responsible for committing a crime such as rape or carjacking, and legally defending oneself against a crime?

There is a difference between self-defense and security against crime, and being "partly responsible" for a crime.
That was my opinion that I'd put partial blame - never mentioned the law and never said they are to be punished for it. Every day people make decisions that help or hurt themselves. Why would they be excused if they make an un-wise choice just because they end up being an actual victim?

And self-defense doesn't yet come into play at the point where a person chooses to do something (or not). There is no confusion on my part.

What's the first thing you say when kids get hurt doing something they shouldn't have been doing? They shouldn't have done it in the first place. I'd partially blame the kids.

As the post above me says, USE GOOD JUDGMENT. Walking down the street completely naked? Come on - use your head.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-05-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Ok, we'll go with this. From now on women will just assume that all men are potential rapists and we must take the utmost protection of ourselves at all times, regardless of how any man may act.

Then you men are never, ever allowed to complain about how hard it is to get dates or show women what a nice guy you are. Because we have to protect ourselves from dogs who may turn vicious at any time. You never know. Because it would be foolish to assume that any grown man is a responsible adult who can control himself and not harm another human being.
Why don't people bother to read? This post and the one above take from the previous post "It's not real smart for a woman to assume all men are fully grown responsible adults who are morally good and decent. ", then they jump to the "From now on women will just assume that all men are potential rapists..." and a similar comment.

There is a serious lack of reading comprehension on this thread. No one said "all men..." can't be trusted or should be suspect anymore than a woman is responsible for being raped.

Then the "you men..." about clears it all up. If one were to post "you women..." there would be wholesale condemnation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates