Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:45 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times

Advertisements

Cursive writing must be taught in the early years of a child's life, before they are of the age to think about electives.

Like language, cursive writing is best learned young. It is an art form that connects the hand, eye, and brain. It is to the eye what note-music is to the ear. By that I mean there are rules, repetitions, and understanding associated with the written word, analogous to the those of written music. Printing is the bare minimum, sort of like someone who can read music but can't carry a tune.

Of course that is true of the 'standard' brain. Some people, for example those who are dyslexic, may find cursive enormously difficult. If that is the case, then they can skip learning to write cursively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 04:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
After reading this thread..I am now officially depressed ! IF cursive writings become obsolete..I fear true expression will be lost. Cursive writing entails not just making a statement..It's expression of feelings, passion amongst so many other things!! The style of written word translates to those who read it..Typed words, or checklists do not convey the whole picture nor meaning of a text or email..no way can reader of it can sense the feelings behind the typed word..written word YES....Verbal is above that..BUT it appears that most tend to tweet..send emails instead of actually talking nowadays!!

Communication is important..so IF it gets downloaded to 110 characters..or to email or typed messaging..I fear Civilized world is doomed..especially when trying to express some true sentiment to someone else..letters, books, diaries and so on!! I truly hope Cursive writings and communicating does NOT Stop EVER!!

ETA~~ Ohh yeah...Personal penned notes/letters possess character..writing style of letters and so on..I still have notes and letters my mom wrote and she died over 25 years ago..I look at her script writing and smile..It's personal..NOT digital!! Just thought I would add that.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 PM

214 posts, read 260,318 times
The last time I had to read/write cursive was in the third grade (~1987). I think the time spent teaching cursive would be better utilized teaching general problem solving skills in a group setting.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,477 times
Cursive, and writing in general, is a more intimate thing than typing. And you don't need to carry around an electronic, just a small pencil/pen. So it is useful, and you can get more creative.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,477 times
Cursive expresses individualism, and writing in general, expresses individualism. It would be sad if any of that were to die out.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Writing things out by hand not only improves hand-eye coordination, fine-motor skills and so on, but it forces you to organize your thoughts differently. hitting keys on a keyboard with the option to cut, paste, delete, etc. just isn't the same. You have to think ahead more to avoid having to start over, AND you have to make it legible at the same time.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
For God's sake, from this thread you'd think western civilization rises and falls based on cursive writing...

It's just a skill, that's all. And it's a skill of decreasing utility. One could make the same grandiose claims about calligraphy being a grand unifying force of all things learned. But that wouldn't change the fact of its limited utility. Times change. Half the population no longer needs to know how to milk a cow. Can't use a slide-rule? Doesn't matter one iota. Don't know how to take a reading with a sextant? That doesn't matter, either.

This would all be fine if school days were filled with spare time just looking for some skill, any skill, to fill empty hours, but they're not. There's never enough time to learn even the valuable skills. Learning skills of marginal talents just because the previous generation waxes nostalgic over them simply is not a wise allocation of limited time resources.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:13 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Can only provide first hand experience in this case but here it is:
I compose text at work all day. Both brief and detailed. Some keyed into the computer, or hand printed on sticky pads or in script(cursive) for my daily log book. I can always recall in detail what I wrote in my log book because of the concentration involved in composing script.

I notice similar at University that hand written notes in script where easier to recollect details than text keyed into a computer. Writing in print is too slow compared to script.

NB: I believe I read above that long division is no longer taught as well. I am surprised as I still use it.
"We with this ancient knowledge are called Scarabs, the rest are just manure beetles". (Adapted from Pelevin)

In seriousness, I think a study was done that indicated that taking notes by hand (to be fast enough to be practical almost requires cursive) led to better learning during lectures than keyboarding in notes.

Most of my elementary and high school teachers were not very skilled or gifted, was not taught cursive very well, but I did learn it after a fashion. Certainly, I could do some self-study and improve my penmanship, but hard to find the time to do that, when I get free time I always seem to have a higher priority task.

As to trading the time in for say a foreign language - I would prefer the foreign language if it could be had for the same amount of time from the same already-available teacher - but in reality this trade off is not zero sum.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 12-03-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Old 12-05-2015, 03:46 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
This thread inspired me to write my first cursive sentence in many years on my little notepad here. Looks horrible. I couldn't even remember what a capital 'E' looks like.

When I was in school, if I remember correctly, cursive was first taught around 2nd grade and required by all of my teachers through 8th grade. It seems to have been high school where the teachers no longer demanded it, and thus I suppose I got lazy and sort of lost it. Kinda sad...my grade school and JH teachers always complimented my penmanship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates