Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:56 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

Long thread, but to repeat somewhat. Cursive writing skills at a young age teach a) artistry b) eye to hand control c) how to read cursive wrting d) how to quickly execute a hand written message.

Electronic technology is only available a percentage of the time that someone wants to record or read a message. Up to 95% (urban area, no power failures) but as low as 0% (rural, mountains, no computer/cell). How do you leave an electronic message for someone you cannot address by name or account or when you have no electricity/battery? You write it. Time being of the essense, you write it quickly using cursive wrting patterns.

I suspect that the some of the groups of people who dislike cursive are a) immigrants and first gen immigrant families who are not familiar with the letters and letter forms from the US so feel like they are learning too many ways of messaging, b) lazy or too busy parents who don't like to spend the extra time helping their little kids pick up these skills (don't they realize it is bonding time?), c) parents who are still using TV, streaming video, videogames as electronic babysitters rather than schedule time to personally help the kids learn physical skills. But that is just one opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:51 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Calligraphy today is dominated by graphic design software. Instruction in some method of handwriting would seem warranted, but I'm not sure that cursive is the best choice for that. Once upon a time of course, "good handwriting" would help earn entrée to important paces and functions. Not so much anymore.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:28 AM

112 posts, read 130,693 times
So that you can read it. I haven't really mastered cursive writing, and I still have trouble reading such. Even if you don't use it yourself, it's good to be able to read it when many people use write in it.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Interesting comment about calligraphy. I never equated that to cursive hand writing, the goal of which is to keep the pencil/pen point on the paper without lifiting it between letters. Calligraphy seems to be even more complicated than either printing or cursive-writing.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:10 PM

94 posts, read 78,290 times
lucky4life,

Writing in cursive (something I don't do but should do more often),
makes your written works obscure to computers that can only interpret printed lettering on paper
This type of writing is helpful if you have a large journal of written work confiscated by an agency

It's also helpful to not only write in cursive but also in non-English

Old 10-16-2015, 02:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Cursive writing is being phased out of the educational system in a lot of parts of the country. I keep hearing people freak out about this, but I don't really see the point of teaching cursive writing to our kids. We're not exactly dipping pens in ink these days, so what's the big deal? Printing is so much easier to read anyways, and with all the time that is wasted on teaching cursive, kids could be learning something useful like typing or another language.

Give me an actual legit reason for teaching cursive writing to all students. To me it's seems like teaching old English. It obviously would be important for a historian or something of that nature, but it has no place in modern society IMO.
To sign checks so you can spend money and buy more stuff like a real American.

This answer sounds sarcastic I'm sure, but I'm being pretty serious unfortunately. The only thing I write in cursive is my name, and really, that's devolved into something of a scribble. And it's pretty much just when buying something or agreeing to a contract that tends to still involve transfer of money. Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by Jeo123; 10-17-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:43 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned - Quoted post has been deleted

I think the function of legal confirmation and endorsement is certainly valid, but a question would remain over why cursive writing itself -- and particularly today's often badly scribbled versions of it -- would necessarily be attached to it in the way that signet rings and sealing wax might once have been but are no more. And in the larger sense, shorthand was once a very important form of writing as well. It was long taught as a valuable skill in high schools and business colleges. Who can take dictation today or would need to? Cursive as a specialized skill or art form may be of interest to some or even many going forward, but I would think that the case for its being generally required grows weaker with each passing year.

Last edited by Jeo123; 10-17-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2015, 09:40 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Just one more step in the destruction of America.

I write cursive. I have beautiful, flowing writing. My signature is like John Hancock's, only better! Since I have a huge ego it is only appropriate.

Cursive is the communication of the upper crust.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
I had dinner tonight with a group of professors who teach at a local liberal arts college. One does not allow use of electronics in his classroom because of the potential distractions. That means that the students must take notes. Cursive is faster than printing. He has noted that being able to write cursive (about 20% of his students do) affects the responses to his examination essay questions. Those who do not know cursive have a hard time answering the questions in the time allowed.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Cursive writing to me is attractive, if done properly and not quickly scribbled. After working nearly 50 years, in the latter years I noticed that younger coworkers wrote with a lot of curly q's. Many would use a heart shape above an i instead of a dot, for example.

Then I noticed something else: the way they hold a pen or pencil when writing, it was almost straight up and clutched in such a way that it would be very difficult to practice the cursive style. And also that many would lower their face very low to the paper when writing, as though they were in the first grade learning how to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates