Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 10:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times

Advertisements

Sadly, even tho I was taught cursive writing,
I can not really read *my own* cursive writing ...
Let alone other people, who have to read *my writing* when done in cursive.

All thru my professional life, I wrote - printed, everything.
Technical drawings never have cursive, so everything I wrote,
became printed, and on top of that, no such thing as upper or lower case ...
I only wrote in upper case.
If a word need an upper case, that letter was just bigger !

On the other hand, my wife has this (my opinion) really good looking cursive writing capability !

My signature ?
I am from Europe and many Europeans have this *special* signature, as I do also.
So cursive, but almost *unreadable* !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I completely disagree with you. Writing in cursive is quicker and easier for note taking and handwritten note taking is better for studying that typing on an electronic device.

Why Using Pen And Paper, Not Laptops, Boosts Memory: Writing Notes Helps Recall Concepts, Ability To Understand

Nice to know what I always believed in had some grounding in science.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:11 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I completely disagree with you. Writing in cursive is quicker and easier for note taking and handwritten note taking is better for studying that typing on an electronic device.

Why Using Pen And Paper, Not Laptops, Boosts Memory: Writing Notes Helps Recall Concepts, Ability To Understand
Great link.

I have always taken copious handwritten notes, using sort of my own personal hybrid of print and cursive --- mostly cursive, since print is slower.

It always irked me when a lecturer would tell everyone to just put down our pens and listen. I do not learn that way. Just writing it down reinforces it for me. Even today if I make a shopping list I will remember most of the things on it even if I forget to take the list to the store.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Cursive writing is being phased out of the educational system in a lot of parts of the country. I keep hearing people freak out about this, but I don't really see the point of teaching cursive writing to our kids. We're not exactly dipping pens in ink these days, so what's the big deal? Printing is so much easier to read anyways, and with all the time that is wasted on teaching cursive, kids could be learning something useful like typing or another language.

Give me an actual legit reason for teaching cursive writing to all students. To me it's seems like teaching old English. It obviously would be important for a historian or something of that nature, but it has no place in modern society IMO.
How are they going to sign their names? Cursive writing looks like an adult wrote it. Block letters look childish.

and if they don't learn to write it will they be able to read it?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:15 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Many legal documents have both a printed and written portion block. Are you going to print out your name in both areas then?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Not reading all of the older comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But, one value of cursive writing is that it is faster to write with than is printing. Thus it is ideal for note taking, for writing a quick message, for jotting down a thought. And moving from printing to writing during childhood is a mild form of self-discipline and somewhat of an art technique.

Handwriting makes each of us slightly different and allows a subtle expression of personality. If kids today balk against learning to write that's okay with me. It just lets older folk have a 'secret' way of communicating. If kids want to use a more primitive style (printing), let them go ahead. Just make sure they are given a chisel and stone as well so they can go all the way back to 'simple'.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Not reading all of the older comments, so forgive me if this has been said. But, one value of cursive writing is that it is faster to write with than is printing. Thus it is ideal for note taking, for writing a quick message, for jotting down a thought. And moving from printing to writing during childhood is a mild form of self-discipline and somewhat of an art technique.

Handwriting makes each of us slightly different and allows a subtle expression of personality. If kids today balk against learning to write that's okay with me. It just lets older folk have a 'secret' way of communicating. If kids want to use a more primitive style (printing), let them go ahead. Just make sure they are given a chisel and stone as well so they can go all the way back to 'simple'.
Agree on all points! I use cursive for notes, but I find myself using OneNote at work for notes more and more (typing my notes).

We've been teaching our kids cursive. They're in 2nd grade. They're in a Mandarin immersion school, so they're writing Chinese characters as well.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

Wow you sure are a bit emotional about this. The truth of the matter is is that cursive writing is becoming phased out of our culture because of technology. I mean the only practical reason I can see for it is signing documents and even for that it is becoming more obsolete as some entities allow people to sign things by keyboard not to mention that many people's signatures just look like illegible scribble/scrabble anyway. If you want to keep it around for sentimental reasons then have at it but for practical purposes it has become unecessary.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
How are they going to sign their names? Cursive writing looks like an adult wrote it. Block letters look childish.

and if they don't learn to write it will they be able to read it?
Have not read all comments; has someone mentioned how easy it would be to forge a signature, if only block letters used? To me, some thought needs to go along with learning cursive, almost like math. It does seem like an art form. Writing, becomes second nature, should be an option; hope it is not phased out.

I have my own shorthand method of taking notes......writing is quicker than printing, we need more thought provoking techniques; not less. Brain games?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Schools, funded by government, indirectly by the taxpayers, ever seek to cut expenses, not improve education.

Most people who were taught cursive writing, were never exposed to the prior art of calligraphy, which was the impetus for the simplified cursive writing.

If calligraphy was taught as an art form, part of every curriculum, cursive writing's importance becomes self evident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates