Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Is there something wrong with not wanting to live in a diverse town? I don't care to, yet treat all decent non-whites with which I come into contact with respect and find quite a few likable and admirable. I've even been involved in the hiring process and hired non-whites and bent over backwards for some non-white co-workers.
It depends on your assumptions. Like your statement here, I treat all "decent" non-whites well. That makes an assumption, or implies it is not the norm for non-white people to be decent. It is like coded language. You could have easily said, I treat all decent people well. And wouldn't a primary consideration be living around "decent" people, no matter what ethnic group they are?

It is the language like this that makes people like me see out a place that is more inclusive, where people aren't (hopefully) make assumptions about what I might be like before interacting with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post

It is entirely possible to think one's own race is superior to all others while treating people of others races with dignity, fairness, and respect.
I agree - thoughts are one thing, actions are another.

Dignity, fairness, and respect are the golden rule.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I didn't read all the replies but I'm in a unique situation so I'll chime in.

I live in South Florida and white people are the minority. It would be impossible to find an all white neighborhood from Fort Lauderdale to Miami.

To the OP, no one asks to live in a white neighborhood. They ask about schools or price range.

And down here, the ghettos are multi national and multi racial.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiara4life View Post
See that's the thing right there, who gets to make that call. How is a race superior to another one? Is it by deceptive means? It's all in the eye of the beholder. I think this quote is a great one to add to this discussion.
It is a good question, but unfortunately many people can't discuss it while remaining calm and not resorting to calling others "supremacists", "fascists", "haters", and "Nazis" or talk about extermination, genocide, hate, and so on!

Let us look at some of these silly or incorrectly applied terms.

Supremacists. Hardly anyone is a supremacist, even if they think think their race is superior to others and/or want to stick with and mate with and marry their own kind. According to definitions I've come across, the word implies the desire to rule over or subjugate others--to persecute or enslave them for example. Seriously, who the hell wants to do this other than a tiny minority of evil people? I surely don't, even though I stick with my own kind and think that my own kind has produced more marvels, heroes, inventions, geniuses and so on than any others. This sentiment DOES NOT mean there are not admirable or likable people from other groups or that I want to mistreat or disrespect them in any way, shape, or form!

Fascist. Again, from what I've gathered, this is an economic doctrine that has absolutely NOTHING to do with race! One could simply believe in the economic system which has no inner workings based on race! Mussolini himself had a Jewish mistress himself and he was the Facist's poster boy.

Nazism. Who the heck in modern day America has anything to do with a political party that died almost seventy years ago?! YES, Nazism was pretty much a race based religion and the Nazis did not hide this at all. They and their collaborators wanted a Jew-free and totally white Europe, and that was it and were suited to spill blood if necessary. How many white people or anyone of any race in America today can relate to this other than a tiny fringe minority?

Hate. Who really hates others or wishes harm upon them versus who just wants to stick to their own kind? Most people of all kinds simply want their group left alone and to remain at peace.

Who gets to make the call of who's "better" or "superior"? Uh, an individual who has created a balance sheet and then comes to his or her own sentiment and opinion. It's as simple as that.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully.

Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist?

I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.

Why don't you go look up the meaning of the word racists. Because what you described isn't it.

A racist is a person who believes a race is superior to another. It does not distinguish the color of the person. The problem is people are quick to label someone a racist without looking in the mirror.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why don't you go look up the meaning of the word racists. Because what you described isn't it.

A racist is a person who believes a race is superior to another. It does not distinguish the color of the person. The problem is people are quick to label someone a racist without looking in the mirror.
Not quite. Racism requires power. Me being racist against white people doesn't really do anything since I don't make the laws or the rules.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Because there is a huge double standard honestly. My female friend is Bipolar and she can call herself crazy and that of her peer group, but you can't. Just like black people using the N word all the time to refer to themselves but me white man say that in South Chi town I would be killed.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It depends on your assumptions.
Of course it does. Whether people care to admit it or not, they are prejudice and have a collective feeling about other groups they know about or have been contact with on a regular basis.

Have you gone to a majority non white school as a kid? Have you ever lived in an extremely diverse county, such as I have?

Quote:

Like your statement here, I treat all "decent" non-whites well. That makes an assumption, or implies it is not the norm for non-white people to be decent.
Not necessarily. I put it that way because it's possible a person can think one's own race is the greatest or just simply have a preference to stick with one's own while not being hateful or indecent to others.

Quote:
It is like coded language. You could have easily said, I treat all decent people well.
Of course.

Quote:
And wouldn't a primary consideration be living around "decent" people, no matter what ethnic group they are?
Not my cup of tea, just like it is not for most other people. Hence we see here in Queens, NY, one of the most diverse counties on earth, ethnic pockets of people, voluntary segregation. Actually, the Asians here behave as if they want absolutely nothing to do with others. The signs on their stores are in Asian. They set up Asian churches. They hire only other Asians. They speak their own language with one another, not English. How is that for inclusion? Because they desire only to deal with and marry and produce their own kind, do you consider them racist?

Quote:
It is the language like this that makes people like me see out a place that is more inclusive, where people aren't (hopefully) make assumptions about what I might be like before interacting with me.
Assumptions about you or not, people stick with their own kind. I highly doubt Asians or Blacks or Hispanics I see on a daily basis are making assumptions about some token white guy they see, but they do have assumptions and prejudice towards my group and others. They don't pay much attention at all, which shows their indifference to others I speak of.

Last edited by Cerebrator; 05-14-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people,"

Show me where a number of prople hsve said this.
Whites might not say it openly, but it is what they think and discuss behind closed doors. And we're not talking about rural "gun nuts" with bad teeth (the stereotypical Hollywood racist image), but rather ordinary white people of all sorts.

I myself can't count the number of times I've heard talk of racial demographics when discussing moving or socializing with whites (and some Jews).

Generally speaking, when a white moves somewhere they ponder:

Are there ________ (group[s] they don't want to live with) living there?

Are _________ moving there?

Are ________ living close to there?

Are _________ attending the schools?

Whites also have their own form of codespeak that I'm sure many are familiar with.

When a white person says, "The neighborhood changed," it usually means the racial demographic changed.

When a white person says "bad neighborhood" it usually means "black neighborhood".

When a white person says, "the schools in that district are better", what they are conveying is "the schools are white or Asian".

When one discusses socializing, they might say, "I want to go to ______ (nightclub or bar name) this weekend," and have someone else reply, "I don't know man; that place is not the same; it's all _______ (racial or ethnic group) there now."

So what should we do with all these whites who have preferences on where they live and work and socialize with but are nevertheless minding their business and not harming anyone? The OP appears to want to prove a point, that not only are whites racist (racist in a derogatory way), but all others who have similar preferences. How are we going to rewire their brains so that they are not racist in a bad way?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I have no problem living in a diverse area. In fact, I do. I'm white, one of my neighbors is black and the one on the other side is white, and the neighborhood is mostly Hispanic. It's a nice quiet neighborhood where people take care of their homes and yards. Everyone works. No problem. A large portion of my income goes for rent, but it's worth living in a nice, safe area.

Would I want to live in an area that was predominantly black? No, because whenever I drive through those types of areas there are way too many people hanging around, out of work, watching when you come and go. I wouldn't feel safe, wondering if my home was going to be robbed as soon as I drove away. BTW, if there were groups of whites hanging around during the day I'd feel the exact same way. Too often when reading the crime statistics for this city, a large percentage of it occurs in these types of neighborhoods. While I am sure there are some very decent people in these neighborhoods, I wouldn't want to take the chance with my person or my belongings.

I think when people want an area that is mostly "white", they are really looking for a place that is relatively crime-free and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates