Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
Agree with your first statement. Also, everyone is entitled to their feelings.
Having said that, if one believes in one's superiority, those feelings will eventually surface. One might argue that true respect is not possible when a person thinks he/she is better than another person.
Thanks for the response.

It is entirely possible to think one's own race is superior to all others while treating people of others races with dignity, fairness, and respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I didn't know where else to put this and I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything...this is an honest question. Please respond respectfully.

Why is it that if a white person says "I'm moving to Y, please suggest an area with mostly or all WHITE people," people assume they're racist (which they almost certainly are), but when someone posts asking about apartments with "decent <insert immigrant group here> community," nobody calls them out for being racist?

I say this as a Jewish woman who enjoys her diverse community.
Honestly, I picked where I live now because of the people living here. I am not asking for a diverse, racially diverse, neighborhood. I want to live in a safe neighborhood first.
I knew moving here that my neighborhoods had a very high gay and lesbian population so my first thought was, gay people ususally take pride of their homes and their neighborhood and it also used to be a Swedish area, still is somewhat, so I should be good to go. And I was right. I love it here.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
An interesting question. It shows how people, without even realizing it, can have an ingrained bias on their perceptions before they have all the facts.
Is there something wrong with not wanting to live in a diverse town? I don't care to, yet treat all decent non-whites with which I come into contact with respect and find quite a few likable and admirable. I've even been involved in the hiring process and hired non-whites and bent over backwards for some non-white co-workers.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
You will find, that people of color and minority races, also want to live in neighborhoods with other people of the same race and color regardless of what it is. This is especially evident in large cities. There are China Town areas, and Japanese Town Areas, etc., etc., especially in places like San Francisco, and bigger eastern cities. There is one district of San Francisco, and a settlement area north of San Francisco, that is heavily populated by gay men. Like people want to live where they do not feel like they are in minority be it sex, race, color, or what ever.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post

Still further, the same level of Jewish control exists within the major internet media companies; e.g. Google, Facebook et al, and Amazon, headed by Jeff Bezos, recently bought out the Washington Post.
Jeff Bezos is not Jewish......

Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Is there something wrong with not wanting to live in a diverse town? I don't care to, yet treat all decent non-whites with which I come into contact with respect and find quite a few likable and admirable. I've even been involved in the hiring process and hired non-whites and bent over backwards for some non-white co-workers.
Oh no not at all, in fact I meant the opposite. That part of my statement was referring to the OP's thinking that some people automatically might assume a white person is racist by suggesting they want to live in a less diverse neighborhood. Those people are showing a bias to the asker without knowing the nature of the question.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 AM

29 posts, read 27,981 times
Is that REALLY a dealbreaker? Your own kind...that simply ridiculous as all humans are of the same kind. No one looks the same as anyone else except when they look in the mirror. They don't even comb their hair the same way. Besides, who ever worries about who lives next door? Name ONE of your neighbors that lives down the street at least 5 houses away. I bet you don't know their names.

I prefer to look for other things such as do they like to party at all hours of the night and day? Do we have a budding rock 'star' who bangs on drums (needs lessons)? Are they the kind of people who just let themselves into your house uninvited such as when you are working in your open garage to see what you are doing (welding, reloading, drinking alone IN PEACE, etc)

Old 05-13-2014, 10:12 AM

251 posts, read 273,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Thanks for the response.

It is entirely possible to think one's own race is superior to all others while treating people of others races with dignity, fairness, and respect.

See that's the thing right there, who gets to make that call. How is a race superior to another one? Is it by deceptive means? It's all in the eye of the beholder. I think this quote is a great one to add to this discussion.

Quote:
"If you blame Native American communities for their poverty, remember that the entire continent was stolen from them.

If you blame Black American communities for their relative poverty, remember that Black Americans were stolen from a continent, trafficked, and enslaved for nearly 300 years.

Tell me again about how your family ‘started from nothing’ when they immigrated. Didn’t they start from whiteness? Seems like a pretty good start.

The American Dream required dual genocides, but tell me again about fairness and equal opportunity. Tell me about democracy, modeled after the Iroquois Confederacy. Tell me your proud heritage, and I will show you the violence that made it so."

— Kim Katrin Crosby, Keynote Speaker for LGBTQ History Month at Dartmouth (30 September 2013)

Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
"White" is a color, not a culture. It is different for someone to ask for a German community, than a "white" community.

Additionally, if I were to ask for a community for my own or my husband's ethnicity, it is not racist. Our ethnicities are "multiracial."

Old 05-13-2014, 11:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
I wouldn't care where I lived as long as people respect each other, their property, no littering, watch out for each other in general, low crime, etc. Now, would I want to live in an all white neighborhood? No. I did that once, it's called the suburbs. I grew up in the suburbs, my parents still live in the suburbs, I know people from the suburbs and I am not in tune with their mode of thinking. So in that aspect, I guess I'd say I prefer to live in a more diverse area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates