Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
said the child.

You don't have a clue about any of this. years ago there was a reporter on TV in Atlanta. She was a perky little thing so full of herself on PM Atlanta. One night she was doing a show about food or dieting and she casually remarked "When I feel my jeans getting a bit tight all I do is cut back on the potatoes, rice and bread for a while and I'm right back to where I want to be." She married the guy who wrote Deliverance ( I think), Bill Diehl and he had a boatload of health problems. They never had children. The next time I saw her she was as big as a barn. I'm sure the stress of their life together had alot to do with it. I wondered if she remembered her skinny self and her flippant remark about how easy it was to lose weight.

Ah to be young again and know it all.
I'm far from a child. Just because like throws your curve balls, doesn't mean you should eat until you feel sick. You have to be strong and have self-control.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You have a lot more life to live. You are also still in the age range where weight loss is a lot easier because you aren't losing muscle mass and metabolism performance yearly.
The reason a lot of older people lose muscle mass is because they don't lift weights. If you lift weights at least a couple times a week and stay active, your metabolism will be a lot faster.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
In this day and age, it seems like every fat person makes excuses for their weight and claim they don't eat a lot. Obesity is glamorized these days and I don't understand why. I'm not saying we should make fun of fat people, but accepting that it's okay and healthy to be overweight is not okay.

Why does every fat person claim they have a thyroid issue or can't lose weight no matter what they do? Not everyone can be stick thin, but being obese is not natural. I think a very small percentage of people are fat because of a thyroid problem or other medical condition. Most of them are fat because they just eat too much.

And overweight people are so defensive when someone tries to tell them that they are not healthy. Just look at the comments in this article, http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyando...-is-redefining.

Very few people were fat 100 years ago, so I refuse to believe that suddenly we have all these thyroid issues that are making us fat. Do you agree or do you think I'm being too insensitive?
1) Why do you think that your opinion has anything to do with reality? Have you read all the scientific data associated with obesity and thyroid disorders?

2) The only people who should be saying anything about a person's weight and health is their doctor and maybe their mother. If you are not either of those people then keep your opinions on people's health to yourself, unless they ask you.

3)Why would it be so far-fetched that we have a modern problem with thyroid disorders? Think of all the other diseases/medical conditions that have become major issues in modern times... allergies and other immune disorders, autism, cancer (much more common than it used to be).

Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack

Even trained endocrinologists don't know what to think and/or disagree with one another ... Moderator cut: .

Thyroid issues as experienced in our time are woefully misunderstood and misdiagnosed by the hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions). In some cases, it's a lack of funding and research. In other instances, it's based on poor communication within the medical community. In many cases that's due to prejudice against fat people who couldn't possibly have a medical problem, they just eat too much. It's true that thyroid levels can be measured with a blood test. The problem is interpreting the meaning of the measurements. The numbers of what constitutes an over- or under-active thyroid didn't change for decades from the time that particular blood test was developed. Even as it became clear that many people have been walking around for years with every manifestation of thyroid problems ranging from the objective (such as falling-out hair, deformed nails, goiters, etc.) to the subjective (nervousness, exhaustion, weird metabolism, etc.) For a long time it was pretty much only people with thyroid cancer or Graves' Disease who got the complete attention of endocrinologists.

All too few years ago, the medical group that makes national recommendations about endocrinology looked again at the data related to measuring "normal" thyroid numbers and decided to alter the standards. DRASTICALLY. The problem is, many, many physicians and others in the medical field (not to mention people like yourself) still haven't gotten the news.

I went to two different doctors who were still using the old measurements. When I finally moved and accidentally happened upon a younger medical professional who kept up with endocrine literature, I was at last diagnosed not only with a shortage of two thyroid hormones but also a dangerously low level of Vitamin D in my system (often an issue in tandem with thyroid problems). Taking supplements to correct those issues has changed my life. It makes me FURIOUS to think I could have had this level of good health years ago had there not been so much pussyfooting on behalf of the medical community to keep an open mind about revisiting standards dating back to the early 20th century.

I respectfully suggest you educate yourself about thyroid disorders if you wish to keep issuing opinions about this subject. A good place to start is the work of Mary Shomon, author of Living Well with Hypothyroidism, as well as other respected books on the subject of thyroid disease and a patient advocate for sufferers. In addition to her books, she has been publishing since 1997 a popular newsletter for thyroid patients called Sticking Out Our Necks, and moderates thyroid-info.com, which is available FOR FREE online through about.com. Here is a link to one article she's written that talks about places online to get sensible information about thyroid issues:
Thyroid Disease and the Internet

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-02-2014 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,735,386 times
Quote:
In this day and age, it seems like every fat person makes excuses for their weight and claim they don't eat a lot. Obesity is glamorized these days and I don't understand why. I'm not saying we should make fun of fat people, but accepting that it's okay and healthy to be overweight is not okay.

Why does every fat person claim they have a thyroid issue or can't lose weight no matter what they do? Not everyone can be stick thin, but being obese is not natural. I think a very small percentage of people are fat because of a thyroid problem or other medical condition. Most of them are fat because they just eat too much.

And overweight people are so defensive when someone tries to tell them that they are not healthy. Just look at the comments in this article, http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyando...-is-redefining.

Very few people were fat 100 years ago, so I refuse to believe that suddenly we have all these thyroid issues that are making us fat. Do you agree or do you think I'm being too insensitive?
Not all fat people have thyroid problems, but very often they do. A thyroid diagnosis is extremely hard to make because the thyroid doesn't function independently, and is intricately associated with other hormone-producing organs. Also, the tests are not often conclusive. There are folks that suffer thyroid conditions yet the blood tests available come through with flying colors for them.

Also, I don't know how you can say that all fat people claim to have thyroid problems. Which fat people? Fat people within your family? Fat friends? Who in particular is making these excuses?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 8,209 times
Most people are fat because they don't exercise regularly enough and eat about 1.5 more calories (the wrong kind of calories too) than they should. That's the case for 95% of the people even if one decides to be very generous with what we consider fat. Very few fat people actually claim anything about throids and will simply admit they eat kind of poorly and don't exercise all that much.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Wow, what I said was not mean and nasty. If you thought that, you are way too sensitive. People these days get so mad when you tell the truth. The majority of fat people are that way because they overeat. There's just no nicer way of saying it. Like I said before, not many people were fat 100 years ago, so obesity isn't just an accident. If people were actually honest with themselves and stopped making excuses, they could lose weight and be healthy.
Stating a reason for being overweight (FYI, it seems pretty rare for someone to claim it's thyroid issues) isn't necessarily an "excuse" - it's a REASON. If there were no reasons why people have weight problems, wouldn't we all be thin?

I'll give you an example: If someone says they have a low-paying job because they slacked off in high school and never got beyond an 11th grade education, is that an excuse or simply a stating of the reason? It's the latter. Now, if they then complain "I'll neeeeever get a better job, and it's not fair I have to finish my education first," THEN you would be hearing excuses and whining. But for all you know, the people who say "I'm overweight because *insert reason*" are either working on solving those problems, or they just don't give a patooty. And if they don't give a patooty, why do you?

That being said, we are all made differently, and for some folks is actually IS more difficult to lose weight... that doesn't mean it is impossible, but it sure is harder! I have friends who can eat anything, hardly (if ever) work out, and still maintain a nice petite figure. I have to exercise every day and eat right just to maintain CHUBBY, and if I slack even a little, I'll be morbidly obese in no time. Back in 2004/5 I lost 55lbs through diet & exercise, couldn't lose a pound more no matter what I did, and maintained at that (healthy but still technically chubby) weight for almost a decade. Then I had ONE change in my lifestyle, when I moved for a new job, and BOOM I'd gained back 25lbs within a year. I'm now almost back down to the lower weight, but being 10 years older than the last time I did this, it's been even harder.

Moral of the story? Don't judge until you've walked a mile in another man/woman's shoes. Mkay?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
P.S. If you need proof it's not all environment/upbringing, and more how you're "designed" internally (both emotionally and physiologically), my siblings & I are a great example. We all grew up in the same household, eating mostly the same diets, even participated in the same sports throughout our childhoods. So why am I the only one who's struggled with my weight, while they are both naturally thin/fit? Probably because I inherited my father's overweight genes, whereas they're built more like our very petite mother. And that's not a complaint or "making excuses," just the facts ma'am.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Not all fat people have thyroid problems, but very often they do. A thyroid diagnosis is extremely hard to make because the thyroid doesn't function independently, and is intricately associated with other hormone-producing organs. Also, the tests are not often conclusive. There are folks that suffer thyroid conditions yet the blood tests available come through with flying colors for them.

Also, I don't know how you can say that all fat people claim to have thyroid problems. Which fat people? Fat people within your family? Fat friends? Who in particular is making these excuses?
People I've been around and different people who comment on articles and forums online. Look at the link I posted in my original post. Most of the comments in the article are from fat people who claim they are fat because of thyroid issues or some other medical condition.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:13 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
The reason a lot of older people lose muscle mass is because they don't lift weights. If you lift weights at least a couple times a week and stay active, your metabolism will be a lot faster.

Not everyone on the planet is physically able to life weights and not everyone who is physically able to lift weights likes to life weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates