Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,341 times

Advertisements

Everyone is fat for different reasons. Not everyone is overweight because they eat too much also. I am overweight, but it's not because I eat too much. It's what I eat, my soda intake and my lack of exercise. I was on a diet a few years ago, just watched what I ate (pretty much ate the same, just tracked everything) went to the gym and did daily walks.

Up until my early 20's, I had the highest metabolism, and it went away. I also stopped being as active. When I was living at my parents, I didn't realize how much active I was (swimming in the pool, talking walks, playing badminton, etc)

So, yes I am overweight.... it's not because I have a thyroid issue, but it's not because I overeat. What i ate yesterday? A bowl of cereal, quesadilla and a slice of pizza.

I am drinking too many empty calories.

If I cut out soda and went to the gym more and walked daily - I know I would start to lose weight. I just need to get back into that habit, and that is just the hardest thing for me. I don't really like working out, but I know I need to.

Don't jump to conclusions, because not everyone is the same.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
As a fat person, I haven't heard about thyroid problems from other fat people. I do hear about being too busy to eat well, too broke to eat well, liking food too much, being an emotional eater, etc. But the people I know with thyroid problems are just not that large, maybe overweight instead of obese.

I've lost a lot of weight recently, enough that people who I don't know very well (store clerks, people whose house I go past regularly on my bicycle, etc) will ask me how much I've lost and what I'm doing to lose the weight. Most fat people I encounter are very eager to lose the weight. If it was a thyroid problem they could just pop a pill for, and be able to lose the weight easily, they would do it.

Fat is a big money maker...diet pills, weight loss surgery, diet foods, medications for the conditions caused by obesity, and so on. I really doubt the drug manufacturers would like to see our population at a healthy weight.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:59 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
I'm fat because I eat too much--I am not a disciplined eater. However, I still walk at almost 68 years old 1.5 miles five days a week. And I work out with light weights, too. All this with arthritis in my back that frequently causes a lot of burning in my leg---two surgeries, but it's arthritis and keeps returning.

On the other hand my wife put on a good deal of weight and then discovered she had thyroid cancer.

In the course of surgery and radiation treatments we learned from her endroconolgist that 25% of all women will get a thyroid tumor sometime during their lives. For the vast majority it will be benign, but even a benign tumor may impact metabolism.

By the way, thyroid cancer tends to be the slowest growing of all cancers, and someone can have that cancer for 20 years before serious symptoms arise.

I forgive the original poster for a question posed in ignorance. But now he knows.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
In this day and age, it seems like every fat person makes excuses for their weight and claim they don't eat a lot. Obesity is glamorized these days and I don't understand why. I'm not saying we should make fun of fat people, but accepting that it's okay and healthy to be overweight is not okay.

Why does every fat person claim they have a thyroid issue or can't lose weight no matter what they do? Not everyone can be stick thin, but being obese is not natural. I think a very small percentage of people are fat because of a thyroid problem or other medical condition. Most of them are fat because they just eat too much.

And overweight people are so defensive when someone tries to tell them that they are not healthy. Just look at the comments in this article, http://www.buzzfeed.com/krystieyando...-is-redefining.

Very few people were fat 100 years ago, so I refuse to believe that suddenly we have all these thyroid issues that are making us fat. Do you agree or do you think I'm being too insensitive?
I suggest you change your mean and nasty attitude towards obese people. Number one: NOT everyone who is obese claims to have a "thyroid" issue. Secondly, there are many issues involved with people who overeat. I suggest you go to "Google Scholar" and look up journals research about the reasons for people over eating.

I am not obese but find such an attitude towards other human beings, who have feelings, appalling.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-02-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I suggest you change your mean and nasty attitude towards obese people. Number one: NOT everyone who is obese claims to have a "thyroid" issue. Secondly, there are many issues involved with people who overeat. I suggest you go to "Google Scholar" and look up journals research about the reasons for people over eating.

I am not obese but find your attitude towards other human beings, who have feelings, appalling.
Wow, what I said was not mean and nasty. Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines People these days get so mad when you tell the truth. The majority of fat people are that way because they overeat. There's just no nicer way of saying it. Like I said before, not many people were fat 100 years ago, so obesity isn't just an accident. If people were actually honest with themselves and stopped making excuses, they could lose weight and be healthy.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-02-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 11:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Like I said before, not many people were fat 100 years ago, so obesity isn't just an accident.
100 years ago our food supply wasn't as tainted with garbage as it is now. We did not have fast foods, and physical demands were much greater. We didn't have those modern conveniences we have now. I don't think the obesity problem is as simple as you suggest to fix. Just my opinion.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
100 years ago our food supply wasn't as tainted with garbage as it is now. We did not have fast foods, and physical demands were much greater. We didn't have those modern conveniences we have now. I don't think the obesity problem is as simple as you suggest to fix. Just my opinion.
True, but nobody is forcing people to eat fast foods and processed foods all the time. There are plenty of healthy and low-calorie options these days. Many restaurants and grocery stores offer so many healthy foods.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
True, but nobody is forcing people to eat fast foods and processed foods all the time. There are plenty of healthy and low-calorie options these days. Many restaurants and grocery stores offer so many healthy foods.
And healthy options are 3-4x more expensive than the processed items (because we subsidize their production). Our society made a choice to deprioritize the growth and production of food, and prioritized making food products out of corn and soy.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM

52 posts, read 62,789 times
I wouldn't say all fat people do this, but why does anyone make excuses for their failures? Because it's easier to make an excuse than to take an honest look at oneself and say, "I've messed up! I've been eating WAY too much and not exercising enough! I need to make some changes."

Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Quote:

And overweight people are so defensive when someone tries to tell them that they are not healthy.
Probably because they already know about their own body size and don't need another person pointing it out.

Some people really DO have thyroid problems and of that group, some can lose weight easier than others. But I think that having thyroid problems makes losing weight harder than not having them.

100 years ago, people - ALL people - got more exercise. Back then, people walked more, rode horses, didn't watch TV, and scrubbed their clothes on a rock. They didn't have an abundance unhealthy foods either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates