Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM

436 posts, read 420,810 times

Advertisements

Also, this might already have been touched on, but when your thyroid is out of whack, you often feel EXHAUSTED, depressed, and in pain. That doesn't exactly make you want to hop up off the couch and run a marathon. Kudos to those who persevere, but it's not easy.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Also, this might already have been touched on, but when your thyroid is out of whack, you often feel EXHAUSTED, depressed, and in pain. That doesn't exactly make you want to hop up off the couch and run a marathon. Kudos to those who persevere, but it's not easy.
That's true. Thyroid problems make one feel all the time as if one had run a marathon and needs to rest up.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Not a proponent of the fatties, but they have ZERO responsibility for explaining themselves to you.

Once the thyroid is blown, even on meds, weight loss is still much more difficult.

But they require no explanation.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:23 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I always had a theory the obese got that way from eating too much meat that came from animals that were given growth hormones and steroids all their lives and processed foods and crops grown with certain chemicals. That and life is a lot more sedentary than it was in the old days when eating habits, including my own (too much butter, sausage, bacon etc.) were common.
You nailed it. Medicine is just starting to realized the hormones in food are endocrine disrupters. Why we have to have all this crap in our food supply makes me crazy.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:30 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I think the problem is people are really uneducated about food. I have a few overweight friends who say they eat "hardly anything" but then they post pictures of themselves on weekends eating all sorts of junk and drinking. I tell them that "being good" all week doesn't matter when you binge during the weekends.

I also find people grossly underestimate what they eat. My friend who is overweight starves herself all day, drinks a six pack of Mountain Dew, then goes out for dinner, I point out to her that she's eating well over 3,000 calories/day (which makes sense she's over 300 lbs).

Thyroid is pretty common, but when someone tells me they have a thyroid condition as they scarf down 2 Chili dogs and a large soda, I do sometimes raise an eyebrow... Specially when they always are doing it...

Usually though I give the person the benefit of the doubt unless I notice otherwise.

I'm overweight, I actually DO have a medical condition that I work really hard to maintain with diet because the medications for it makes me very ill. I am able to control my blood sugars with diet, I exercise, etc, but lucky me my body is able to hold onto a few extra pounds. I worked SUPER hard to lose 30 lbs (my goodness it was hard) so I could finally get pregnant! (Another wonderful "side effect" of my condition, hard to get pregnant). The "best part" about my medical condition is in famine I'll definitely outlast the people with "regular" metabolisms. I have friends with my same condition (it's actually shown that 5-10% of women have this condition) but they don't follow a strict diet, they don't exercise, etc. Even being pregnant I've been so careful with my diet that at 31 weeks I've only gained 8 lbs. I have added more carbs and fruit to my diet, but not junk.
Yes, people definitely underestimate their calories. And a lot of restaurants include nutritional information on their online menus, so it's easier than ever to find out how many calories you're eating.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Do myfitnesspal and log everything you eat for an eye-opening view of how calorie-dense but nutrition-poor the average diet is.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The main thing is ALL fat people do NOT claim to have thyroid issues. Get your information straight and try to make better sense with it.
Exactly. Weight and thyroid disorders both are serious, and carry with them a diminishment in quality of life. Neither deserves mocking and derision.

Yes, many people are overweight because they eat too much. The trick is in finding the types of food that will nourish your body and satisfy your urges to eat, while learning to focus on the reasons why you need to eat so much and direct your energies elsewhere.

And that ain't easy.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM

24,473 posts, read 17,211,031 times
After a recent trip to a nearby Walmart I don't think I have ever seen so much spandex stetched to its breaking point. There were so many people huffing and puffing and shuffling along, being an average guy I felt in the minority. They cannot be comfortable. Be it a health issue or the cheap fatty foods and little exercise that makes them that way it is a tough way to go through life.
I know people that their Doctors would label as obese and they often say I need to lose "the fat" they never say "my fat"
I think obese people seperate themselves from their fat and somehow they are not responsible for it. Instead of passing the buck they should be passing on second helpings and dessert.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
The reason a lot of older people lose muscle mass is because they don't lift weights. If you lift weights at least a couple times a week and stay active, your metabolism will be a lot faster.
Some muscle loss is inevitable due to age . You can try reduce it but it will happen to everyone who ages. You start this downward spiral in your 30s and really take a dip after age 75. See what you have to look forward to?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Some muscle loss is inevitable due to age . You can try reduce it but it will happen to everyone who ages. You start this downward spiral in your 30s and really take a dip after age 75. See what you have to look forward to?
That's a really negative way of looking at life. I've seen plenty of older people who are fit and toned, so age should never be an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates