Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times

Advertisements

IMO it's an excuse to be a full tilt hoodlum. They don't give a whit about that kid, who was a hoodlum, too.

Support the police. They're on our side.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I may step on a few toes here,but something really puzzles me, and I direct my question at the blacks who frequent this forum.
Perhaps you can shed some light so that we non blacks can better understand what causes some blacks to act they way they do.

My attention is focused on the latest riots in St Louis.
It is unfortunate that an unarmed individual (of any color) would be shot down,, but this latest shooting of a young black in St Louis has caused unrest to rear it's ugly head once gain in a predominantly black neighborhood.
I recall the riots here in Los Angeles after the Rodney King verdict, and this is the reason for my question to those of color who frequent this forum.

Can any of you explain why blacks feel the need to loot and burn when something tragic happens in their neighborhood?
Do they feel they have some special dispensation from the almighty that allows them to commit these terrible acts of disobedience?
What is the mindset of crowds of blacks when it comes to burning buildings, breaking into shops and stealing what ever they can get their hands on?

This incident in St Louis is not an isolated incident.
Looting and burning of buildings by blacks has happened in the past, and I find myself asking why.
Can any one give me a plausible explanation as to why blacks feel it acceptable behavior.
Thanks,

Bob.
I don't understand why anyone would want to destroy the neighborhood they live in as a result of anything. Look at Detroit. All the riots accomplished was businesses leaving the city and white flight and then the city imploded on itself. I don't get it but Karma is a Moderator cut: language. The riots of the 60's left those who could not afford to flee and their children to live in the rotting corpse of a once great city. How stupid can you be to riot in your own back yard and not realize that all you're going to do is make things much much worse. Businesses close, people move away, school funding dwindles, the tax base to support infrastructure dwindles..... NOTHING good comes out of this type of behavior.

I have no idea why anyone would think that breaking into a local business and stealing is a logical response to an issue with the police department. That's like saying if someone attacks someone I know then I have the right to attack someone else I choose at random who has nothing to do with the crime I'm, supposedly, protesting. That's just plain stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm black I have no words for it. I'm guessing generations of a severe lack of education and welfare dependent people with entitlement attitudes contribute to it. I suppose in some of their minds since they don't work and don't have much common sense, looting and rioting their own neighborhoods isn't a thought. It's more of an impulse thinking they are destroying "the man".
The irony here is what they really destroy is the neighborhood they and their children live in. In the end they make their plight worse. If I were a business owner whose business had been looted, I'd move my business to a nicer neighborhood. Who wants to do business around hoodlums?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
People on this forum are SO touchy. I don't understand it. The OP asked a perfectly logical question in a respectful manner and people are still getting offended. He asked why SOME black people riot..not all.

Just because a black kid gets shot by police doesn't mean black people have a right to steal and destroy their neighborhoods. It makes no sense. It's just an excuse to act stupid.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 PM

35 posts, read 72,804 times
Quote:
I may step on a few toes here,but something really puzzles me, and I direct my question at the blacks who frequent this forum.
Perhaps you can shed some light so that we non blacks can better understand what causes some blacks to act they way they do.

It is unfortunate that an unarmed individual (of any color) would be shot down,, but this latest shooting of a young black in St Louis has caused unrest to rear it's ugly head once gain in a predominantly black neighborhood.
I recall the riots here in Los Angeles after the Rodney King verdict, and this is the reason for my question to those of color who frequent this forum.

Can any of you explain why blacks feel the need to loot and burn when something tragic happens in their neighborhood?
Do they feel they have some special dispensation from the almighty that allows them to commit these terrible acts of disobedience?
What is the mindset of crowds of blacks when it comes to burning buildings, breaking into shops and stealing what ever they can get their hands on?

Looting and burning of buildings by blacks has happened in the past, and I find myself asking why.
Can any one give me a plausible explanation as to why blacks feel it acceptable behavior.
Thanks,

Bob.
Hi Bob! I'm black and I don't even understand why. I think you should rephrase your question to why "some" blacks do this and that. I'm black and I don't live in the ghetto, I'm black and I'm in *gasp* college, I'm black and I don't talk or dress like a thug. I'm black and I definitely do not loot or burn when something tragic happens to me personally. I deal with it in my own peaceful way. Your question over-generalizes people by race. I could ask "Can any one give me a plausible explanation as to why did whites feel it acceptable behavior to kill off Native Americans, enslave people, and lynch people?" I could ask why do they kill off their own families and shoot up movie theaters. But I don't. Because those were isolated incidents that happened to be caused by people who happened to be white. But not all white people do those things, just like not all blacks do those things. Race doesn't matter. The people you should ask, are the ones actually doing the looting. But walking up to a random black person and asking why we do the things we do is irrelevant and may get you in trouble.

My dear, I'm black, and I love who I am, but I am not responsible for the ignorance of things other people (who may share the melanin in my skin) may do.

So no, I am not qualified to answer your question

Carry on.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 PM

483 posts, read 670,330 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Bob.
Well probably most people are peacefully protesting, and since criminals will always take advantage of any situation, they did. At least they are not burning crosses and people like some other people have historically been known to do.

Old 08-16-2014, 04:59 AM

35 posts, read 59,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
People on this forum are SO touchy. I don't understand it. The OP asked a perfectly logical question in a respectful manner and people are still getting offended. He asked why SOME black people riot..not all.

Just because a black kid gets shot by police doesn't mean black people have a right to steal and destroy their neighborhoods. It makes no sense. It's just an excuse to act stupid.
I agree.

I'm strongly offended by the term 'kid' being used to define this 18 year old man. I'm 26, and when I was 18 I was arrested for possession of Marijuana and spent 1 night in adult jail, had to visit the adult court judge and pay adult fines, I was working an entry level adult job being paid minimum wage. I was able to buy cigarettes, go clubbing, and run around acting a fool. I wasn't a thug, but for my crime I was punished accordingly as an adult should be punished and no one called me a 'teen'. I knew better than smoking pot, and even though I knew better I chose not to do better. Mike was a thug, out there thuggin' it, robbing stores and not being productive. I firmly believe he resisted arrest and grabbed the officers gun which then potentially placed the officer in harms way. The cops simply don't walk up and shoot someone for no reason. That just doesn't happen at all.

It seems as if I'm apart of the very few, small percentage of adults that hold themselves accountable for their actions. I carry shame for every bad thing I've ever done, which isn't very much. I chose to carry shame as apposed to placing blame on someone else.

Our men and women in blue protect and serve our nation every day and police officers are murdered too often throughout this country. They get up, work hard, and they've been there when I needed them. I'm glad I was arrested at the age of 18. I never got an conviction because I admitted to the judge I was guilty. I never smoked pot ever again. From now on I plan on walking up to every officer and telling them THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU AGAIN FOR PROTECTING MY LIFE AND MY NEIGHBORHOODS!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
As I mentioned on another thread on this forum, the reason they riot is all about getting a new TV. They don't give a Moderator cut: language about Michael Brown, all they wanted to do was have an excuse to break into a liquor store and TV store. Those "peaceful protesters" were laughing like loons as they ran out of the looted stores.

But it has always been that way. I was around during the riots in the 60's and a lot of other riots, like over Rodney King. It has always been about breaking into some poor neighborhood business and getting me some of that stuff inside.

If that offends some people, sorry, but it is absolutely true.

Don

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I live in Oakland, and apparently after the Oscar Grant verdict (and Occupy) "rioters" decided to visit from places like LA, Portland, and other cities in the Bay Area. In fact most of the troublemakers didn't even live in Oakland. And many were white. Gasp!

Some people like to cause trouble and just use any cause an excuse to do the trouble they want. Actually if there is a life lesson in the Purge 2, you'll find similar behavior across all social classes. Some just have enough money to do it in private. And other people have different motivations for their behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Tens of thousands of young black males are killed by other young black males every year, year after year, and no one cares. But one incident where a 4-time felon gets killed by a police officer, and all Moderator cut: -breaks lose. Can you say massive hypocrisy? If these protesters cared about black lives they would be fighting the real problem, which is black-on-black violence. Not one rioter even knows what happened that night when the young man was killed.
And 10s of thousands of white people are killing other white people. Where the mass outrage? Where are the marches? Why don't we solve the white on white crime problem?*

Black People Are Not Ignoring 'Black On Black' Crime - The Atlantic

*most crimes are intraethnic.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-16-2014 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Merge

Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 AM

66 posts, read 67,094 times
It depends on what happened to a group of people in a given period of time. I am a black African leaving in Africa. I have also looked at the way how blacks in America do act, they are completely different from us. However, it is hard to understand people. In other parts, you will find out that the looting is with whites as well. So, it is just a matter of time, past experience, location and situations.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And 10s of thousands of white people are killing other white people. Where the mass outrage? Where are the marches? Why don't we solve the white on white crime problem?*
Because there is no such thing. Violent crime rates among white Americans are not particularly high. They're pretty typical of most western nations. The only demographic group in the U.S. that has a crazy high violent crime rate is African Americans.

And you're completely missing the point. White/Hispanic/Asian people aren't out there rioting and blaming black people for killing their kids. In contrast, black people are rioting and looting, claiming that this is in response to some white (or nonblack) conspiracy to kill their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates