Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times

Advertisements

California recently became the first state to pass the first "Yes means Yes" law regarding rape. Compared to most "No means no" laws, this is the first law that requires a positive affirmation of consent before sex is considered consensual. Put simply, having sex with a drunk girl who is too drunk to say no is considered rape because she didn't actually say yes to sex. Yet at the same time, drunken consent was frequently considered by most "No means No" laws to not be consensual because drunken consent is not consensual.

While the concept behind the law is commendable and in the situation I just described it is definitely a step forward regarding the prevention of rape, this also makes it much easier to successfully falsely accuse someone of rape. A scenario of consensual sex that turns into a morning after regret is now rape if she didn't explicitly state yes. Having sex with your girlfriend in California is rape if you don't get her positive consent before hand(talk about a mood killer).

Rape is obviously a very difficult situation to deal with, but this recent law raises a question... which is more devastating? To be raped or to be falsely accused of rape? The recent law in California certainly makes it easier to press charges against a rapist, but at the same time makes it so that most men will technically be consider rapist(women too actually). If you're married/in a serious relationship, when was the last time you said verbally "Are you ok with having sex?" because the lack of that confirmation makes you a rapist by California standard?

I respect their efforts to combat rape, and I think every situation of intentional rape should be prosecuted. I also belive that this is a situation where getting it wrong affects both sides for their lives, so it should be done correctly.

Therefore, I raise the question, which is worse... to be raped, or to be wrongly convicted of rape?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:12 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Therefore, I raise the question, which is worse... to be raped, or to be wrongly convicted of rape?
Maybe when the man is wrongly convicted of rape, he will be raped in prison and can answer the question with authority. Until then, my vote goes to rape.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Maybe when the man is wrongly convicted of rape, he will be raped in prison and can answer the question with authority. Until then, my vote goes to rape.
Wouldn't that just prove that being wrong accused of rape is even worse than rape, because not only did they not not do anything, but they also getting raped?

Statistically speaking rapists are considered among the worst criminals and the most likely to be raped in prison, therefore your theoretical person would actually argue that being wrongly accused of rape is worse than rape.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:26 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
This is not a question a normal person should ask.

Rape is vastly under-reported by survivors, both male and female, because of the legal, social, and emotional ramifications.

The "problem" of false reporting is also vastly overblown.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:29 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Being accused of rape is one of those rare things that destroys a man's reputation in all aspects. Nobody will ever look at you the same even if its found out the woman lied

Old 10-04-2014, 05:53 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
California recently became the first state to pass the first "Yes means Yes" law regarding rape. Compared to most "No means no" laws, this is the first law that requires a positive affirmation of consent before sex is considered consensual. Put simply, having sex with a drunk girl who is too drunk to say no is considered rape because she didn't actually say yes to sex. Yet at the same time, drunken consent was frequently considered by most "No means No" laws to not be consensual because drunken consent is not consensual.

While the concept behind the law is commendable and in the situation I just described it is definitely a step forward regarding the prevention of rape, this also makes it much easier to successfully falsely accuse someone of rape. A scenario of consensual sex that turns into a morning after regret is now rape if she didn't explicitly state yes. Having sex with your girlfriend in California is rape if you don't get her positive consent before hand(talk about a mood killer).

Rape is obviously a very difficult situation to deal with, but this recent law raises a question... which is more devastating? To be raped or to be falsely accused of rape? The recent law in California certainly makes it easier to press charges against a rapist, but at the same time makes it so that most men will technically be consider rapist(women too actually). If you're married/in a serious relationship, when was the last time you said verbally "Are you ok with having sex?" because the lack of that confirmation makes you a rapist by California standard?

I respect their efforts to combat rape, and I think every situation of intentional rape should be prosecuted. I also belive that this is a situation where getting it wrong affects both sides for their lives, so it should be done correctly.

I think I get where you're coming from although, tbh, it seems sortof creepy to consider the natural consequences.

Take this, for example:

Good2Go: A new app for consenting to sex.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:39 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
I'm old now, but I remember girls saying to me, "Don't... stop". But it meant, "Don't stop!!!!!" Somehow, sex has run off the rails.

I sat on a jury where a Russell Sage girl accused a Clarkson kid of either rape or abuse, I forget. The whole thing was a sham. She was put up to it by the college counselors, members in good standing of the sex abuse industry. Her whole story was a transparent lie and it took the us just 1 hour to find the kid innocent.

If that kid had done it, he'd have been the first Clarkson kid ever to rape a girl. Maybe even the first to have sex.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:48 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Being accused of rape is one of those rare things that destroys a man's reputation in all aspects. Nobody will ever look at you the same even if its found out the woman lied
Having people know that you were raped can destroy a woman's (or man's) reputation in all aspects. Nobody will ever look at you the same even if the rapist is found guilty.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If that kid had done it, he'd have been the first Clarkson kid ever to rape a girl. Maybe even the first to have sex.
I don't know what or where Clarkson is, but I don't see how you can know that nobody there has ever committed rape. Crimes are often committed by the people you would least suspect. Take John Wayne Gacy for example. To assume that nobody from a certain place would never commit a crime because they are from that certain place seems like you're putting too much faith in stereotypes.

P.S. I hope the jury you were on had a much better reason for finding him innocent than this. Guilt or innocence shouldn't be determined by a community that a person belongs to.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM

New, but similar questions:

Would you rather be beaten and tortured, or accused of beating and torturing somebody?
Would you rather have your life savings stolen, or accused of stealing somebody else's life savings?
Would you rather have your head cut off with a dull knife on YouTube by a terrorist, or accused of being a terrorist that cut somebody else's head off with a dull knife and posted it on YouTube?

I can't say if it's worse to be raped or accused of rape. I think that's a case-by-case thing. But I think the same question should be applied to other crimes as well. In any event, it's something interesting to think about. What is worse, being a victim or being accused of something you didn't do? I think this would definitely depend on the individual and the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates