Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times

Advertisements

Perspective is your reality.

If you want to see the worst in people you will. If you want to see the best you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
Welcome to the results of overpopulation, where every individual is now nothing more than a number on a ledger sheet. You have people living in urban city apartments who live in the same apartment for years and yet don't even know the name of the tenant in the apartment below them and don't even care, because they know that tenant probably won't even be there in months anyway.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:47 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
No, common courtesy is not dead. The other day an obese woman boarded the bus, glared around her, and said, "Isn't anyone going to offer me a seat?" I jumped right up and answered, "I'll be happy to make a small contribution".

Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
i was thinking about this over the weekend, how people will park at the door of stores and convience stores, where you have to walk around or squeeze by to enter the store. I been parking behind them so they have to wait till i get done to leave. or those that park at the gas pump and never get gas. what got me was sunday, a guy park at the door of walmart and left the truckk there and went inside. when i left thirty minute later it was still there.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:18 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,518 times
Common courtesy appears to be linked to role modelling, traditional standards, nurturing, awareness and compliance if not common sense!!! We see a lack of both courtesy and ettiquette . We older folks are often amazed at the casualness even in the suggested effort to promote "happy church" where especially kids bop in wearing caps having little regard or awareness that it is perceived by many as inappropriate. Naturally cutting people off while driving, blasting car radio's while concerts are a venue in town. Anything to distract ,to be an annoyance. Not picking up while walking a dog, If in line at the market and the person behind you has a gallon of milk not letting them in front!! So many examples. Please put the carts back in the parking lot !!!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 AM

35,689 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Who are the parents? I see the millionaires on TV who can afford the best schools and the finest tutors and they act like thugs on TV! so if you tell a kid you want to be successful- go to college get big bucks so you can get on TV and talk the same trash as Billy the drug dealer? Go to college so you can learn hazing and how to get stupid drunk? we have NO standards neither at home or the media - we have accepted the thug style -BUT cant handle the crime that goes with it.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,599,478 times
I agree with the reply that said it depends where you live. in my small rural town people hold the door open and say thank you, but go to a larger urban centre and you'll get ignored.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 AM

206 posts, read 215,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Welcome to the results of overpopulation, where every individual is now nothing more than a number on a ledger sheet. You have people living in urban city apartments who live in the same apartment for years and yet don't even know the name of the tenant in the apartment below them and don't even care, because they know that tenant probably won't even be there in months anyway.
Overpopulation has a lot to do with this. Also, people move around a lot and don't really put down "roots" anywhere, also contributing to the anonymity.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:47 AM

206 posts, read 215,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Common courtesy appears to be linked to role modelling, traditional standards, nurturing, awareness and compliance if not common sense!!! We see a lack of both courtesy and ettiquette . We older folks are often amazed at the casualness even in the suggested effort to promote "happy church" where especially kids bop in wearing caps having little regard or awareness that it is perceived by many as inappropriate. Naturally cutting people off while driving, blasting car radio's while concerts are a venue in town. Anything to distract ,to be an annoyance. Not picking up while walking a dog, If in line at the market and the person behind you has a gallon of milk not letting them in front!! So many examples. Please put the carts back in the parking lot !!!
It's all these little things that have resulted in the big problem.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:19 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Is there any common courtesy left in society?
Of course there is.

It's a matter of perspective and focus.

Generally speaking, if you go through life with a chip on your shoulder, then expect to be confronted. On the other hand, if you practice courtesy, you'll receive plenty in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates