Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's just politics, not reality.

Do the ends justify the means? Sometimes they do.

Is it the fault of the victim? Sometimes it is.

Reality does not bow to political correctness.
Please give example of when it's the fault of the victim, or when the ends justify the means. Fully grown adults are in charge of there own behavior. We are not talking about some automatic response governed by the laws of nature like throwing a rubber ball of a wall. We are talking about people who have a choice to how they respond to how someone is dressed. There is no "She was asking for it because she was wearing that short skirt or wearing them tight yoga pants". If someone starts trouble then they are in the wrong and deserve to be reprimanded for it.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
The bottom line is you can only control your actions and not the actions of others. If you don't want people hitting on you or making remarks about your body then the best way to avoid it is to dress conservatively. This will decrease (not eliminate) the chances of unwanted attention.
Or those people can decide not to make remarks on how someone is dressed. It works both ways. How are those absolved from that responsibility but not the person receiving the comments.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or those people can decide not to make remarks on how someone is dressed. It works both ways. How are those absolved from that responsibility but not the person receiving the comments.
You can't control other people from making comments, you can only control what you do. if you don't want the comments being made, then you should dress accordingly.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
You can't control other people from making comments, you can only control what you do. if you don't want the comments being made, then you should dress accordingly.
Or "we" as a society can make it clear that it's inappropriate and rude to comment on the appearance of a woman you don't know.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:20 PM

546 posts, read 408,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Or "we" as a society can make it clear that it's inappropriate and rude to comment on the appearance of a woman you don't know.
No matter what anyone deems inappropriate and rude, we as a society will always have those who flout those rules.

At one time, cursing in public was considered inappropriate and rude. Now it's the norm for many people. Some people take delight in the many different ways the f-bomb can be applied.

While hopefully parents these days are teaching their children better with regard to mutual respect between the sexes, I don't see the yahoos ever going away.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
No matter what anyone deems inappropriate and rude, we as a society will always have those who flout those rules.

At one time, cursing in public was considered inappropriate and rude. Now it's the norm for many people. Some people take delight in the many different ways the f-bomb can be applied.

While hopefully parents these days are teaching their children better with regard to mutual respect between the sexes, I don't see the yahoos ever going away.
True. But I refuse to let the yahoos blame the victim when they are the ones at fault. Nobody puts Baby in a burka if she doesn't want to wear one.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post

True.
I still hold open doors for women and anyone else. Many times I don't even get a glance, but I don't stop doing it. Sometimes I even venture to compliment someone's outfit, car, etc. Sometimes, I may get a half-hearted "thank you", or just ignored. The line in the market gets long, traffic gets heavy and the morning news is depressing. And it all happens again tomorrow. But now, if I ran the world....

Old 04-06-2015, 05:03 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't know. Should men gouge their eyes out so they aren't distracted by the appearance of women? Or maybe just cut their tongues out so they don't verbally harass anyone. Those would take care of that pesky unwanted attention thing.
This post actually made me LOL...Why the heck should anybody be responsible for another's inability to be distracted...Maybe when everyone took responsibility and CONTROL themselves..People in general would get along just fine..Once again..Blame the one who distracted you (ALL THEIR FAULT) I drove off the road or ran into parked car

Problem is as most here keep repeating..Freedoms...Don't tell me what I can do,say or wear..LOL OHHH wait..Don't wear that because it's your fault I got distracted....SMH

IF what someone wears bothers you look other way and only time you can say anything would be to your spouse or girlfriend..Even then..Be very careful as you best expect similar limitations on your own wardrobe too!!

ETA~~ BTW Conservative Dress Code means just what?..Colours, skirt/dress length, tightness, exposures or just plain flamboyant?????? Styles that may offend you may be mainstream to others ...LOL

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-06-2015 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Removed icons. For clarity reasons, please refrain from using textspeak.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM

208 posts, read 257,783 times
No, I disagree about expecting others to behave properly. It's up to women to set the tone, set the pace. Remember that if you dress provocatively, you are potentially causing someone else's husband or boyfriend to look and lust and that's no better than adultery. A bunch of women on another thread were ready to stone a woman for having an affair with a married man yet they are really no better than that woman if they are dressing provocatively and enticing some man to look and lust. You are causing a man to go home and potentially feel disappointed that his significant other isn't as sexy as someone he sees at work or on the street. And if the woman is someone he works with and sees every day, it's only a matter of time before he starts flirting with her, then it's lunch together, or maybe texts and phone calls. Before long...you know what happens.

Another negative about dressing provocatively is that it tends to objectify women and that's not the high road. You know, back in the 70's and 80's, women worked very hard for equality and to be taken seriously. Women who prance around looking sexy are pretty much undoing everything that these women tried to do for equality back in the 70's and 80's. And don't use the rationalization that it empowers women to flaunt their sex appeal because that's not true. It objectifies women, it doesn't empower them. You have it all backwards. It's amazing how women feed themselves so many lies.

It's a real shame because these provocative women have caused men in the dating scene to not even bother with modest women anymore. Men have developed unrealistic expectations about what a real love relationship is all about. They think it's all about how hot a woman looks or how great the chemistry and sex is. The real true love relationships of long ago, when women had dignity and morals, is long gone. Men expect women to put out on the 1st (or by the 3rd at least) date and they expect women to look sexy all of the time and be totally hot. If a woman has more morals and values and doesn't want to objectify herself like this and wants someone to love her for who she is and not how hot looking she is, she is not going to find that in today's world.

Women are on the wrong path and it is very sad to see.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:00 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Plenty of women get unwanted attention or vulgar comments wearing winter coats and jeans and sweaters. The guys making these comments are the ones with the problem, not the women.
OMG! So ALL men are to painted by the broad brush of the morons?

Guess what, ladies, we are MEN! We check you out! ALL the time! God made us that way!

PS I'm pretty sure that a fair percentage of you ladies like it that way, and even dress in anticipation of that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates