Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times

Advertisements

I always considered myself a dog person, then my ex-wife brought home a cat, even though I am allergic to cats. The wife went but I kept the cat. He was great. After he died, I got a couple of feral cats that could not get into a shelter. It took over six months, but now they are very friendly and affectionate - towards me anyway. It never would have occurred to me to get a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
[quote=kmb501;39324806]
Quote:
I like both, but, and you may scoff, I find cats easier to train and handle than dogs. You have to train puppies to live with you. They come with nasty habits, like relieving themselves wherever, barking and crying when left alone, destructively raiding garbage, chasing / biting other people and pets, etc. To be a successful puppy owner, you just about have to be a "stay-at-home mom" otherwise you will have a very unhappy puppy or neighbors complaining, especially if you live in an apartment and have to crate the dog during the day.
That is certainly not my experience. To train a cat you have to have them in your site 24/7 and then some. I have also known cats to relieve themselves wherever whenever but its easy to train a puppy to go outside. No smelly box or expensive litter. As well it easy to train a dog acceptable behavior. I have had lots of dogs over my lifetime, from puppies to adult rescues and I have always worked a full time job. I have found lessons stick with dogs where as cats behave as long as you are in site, leave them alone for a few minutes and they do what the heck they please.

Quote:
Then, there's the expense of owning a puppy: doggy daycare or pet sitters to keep the animal active and content so that it doesn't cry, scream, or soil the crate, vet bills for rabies shots and vaccinations against the various diseases that can kill a puppy, obedience classes (these are necessary to successfully live with the animal), and containment systems so that the dog doesn't try to chew, dig, or find some other way to destroy its containment area. In other words, raising a healthy puppy is almost as expensive and involved as raising a small child. You will even have outsiders come in and tell you that you aren't doing it properly and are in danger of abusing your animal and "ruining it for life" if you cut corners. (Granted, these same people may leave anti-freeze out for or call animal control on non-dogs, but that's Southerners for you, from what I've seen.) No thanks! I don't want a puppy child.
Apparently your not doing it right. If one is unable to spend anytime with their dog and has no clue how to train it then by all means get a cat. All these things except vaccinations and some form of containment (house, kennel, yard) are not necessary and vaccinations (which you can administer yourself) vets and containment are also necessary for cats.

Quote:

I'll just take the little varmint in the barn that catches the mice! I can put out some yummy cat kibble and water, make sure it knows where the litter box is (and what it's for, if it's a really young kitten), set up some catnip furniture, come home, play for 15-20 minutes, and teach it silly pet tricks on my own time when I feel like it (no obedience training required). We'll have a lot more fun than the guy spending hours trying to train Fido not to pee on the
carpet.
I put my dogs in a large kennel while Im at work, release the hounds when I get home and let them run and chase the cats, play a little fetch, fill up the dog dishes, go pick up the kids, go for a nice walk, then there are in for the night to sound the alarm if someone or something is outside.

I like my cats but other than feed them and pet them on occasion there not much more going on. I want more of a companion. I like that my dog can go walking with me, trail riding with me, accompany me in the car, go swimming and camping, things cats just don't really get into. Although I did have a couple casts that like to walk the trails when I would go out.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
100% dog person - and I prefer large dogs... Ok, one step further, I prefer large, black Labs...
The last dog we owned (was 14 years old when he passed) was, in MY (Humble) opinion the best dog on the planet. Loyal, loving, playful, adorable (but all that rubbed off from me, I'm sure... lol).

I've owned cats before - the first one I rescued from a dumpster as a kitten - the other was a rescue after it was attacked by a possum. The first was the closest thing to a dog I'd ever seen. If someone came to visit, Bud(weiser) would beat me to the door to see who it was that was there to see him... He'd wake me up when my alarm went off and I hit snooze twice... (he was a 100% indoor cat, so it's not like he had to go out...) I had him written up in divorce papers with 100% custody - no visitation and no 'child' support... She'da taken him just to upset me, had she had the chance...

The second cat (Ricky) was released back as an outdoor cat after he healed... He was very unsocial and needed to be an outside cat.

I won't argue with that. Animals do have different personalities, but I seldom meet a healthy sane cat that I don't like, especially kittens. They're just so playful and curious.

That's not to say I haven't had at least one dog that I adored. I did. I had a border collie / blue tick hound / other dog, and he was the smartest animal I have ever seen. That dog read me to figure out tricks; I didn't even have to offer him rewards or incentives (I guess just learning was the incentive). The dog just did it, because he was curious and liked to learn new tricks for me. Unfortunately, though, his endless, almost cat-like, curiosity got me in a lot of trouble. That puppy was impossible to contain and found a way to escape from everything I employed. Plus, he, too, came with the usual dog baggage, like an unacceptable need to explore garbage, chase cars, fight with other animals, etc (he even managed to injure a few of the neighbor's pets, and my cat was not safe around him even though they were raised together). Plus, when he wasn't learning tricks for me, he taught himself several of his own. That silly puppy grew up to be the dog equivalent of a rebellious teenager; he even moved his girlfriend and her kids under the house! The puppy was just too smart for his own good. One day, he followed me up a ladder just to prove he knew how and housebroke himself when he was staying in the hotel with us! That dog was amazing, but he was still too difficult to own and train. He needed constant attention and stimulation; otherwise he found ways to get into unimaginable trouble.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:29 PM

[quote=2mares;39325710]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
That is certainly not my experience. To train a cat you have to have them in your site 24/7 and then some. I have also known cats to relieve themselves wherever whenever but its easy to train a puppy to go outside. No smelly box or expensive litter. As well it easy to train a dog acceptable behavior. I have had lots of dogs over my lifetime, from puppies to adult rescues and I have always worked a full time job. I have found lessons stick with dogs where as cats behave as long as you are in site, leave them alone for a few minutes and they do what the heck they please.
Well, I'm assuming obedience training is something that is not necessary for a cat; that's my experience, but then I don't really mind if the furniture gets scratched up, and I can have a designated cat room if I don't want them to shed on the furniture. Either that, or just get a good lent brush. Most adult cats know what the litter box is for if they are healthy, so litter box training really isn't something that has to be considered. Just put the cat in its room with the box and plenty of food and water; that's easy enough. Having a cat that doesn't take to the litter box would probably be an outside only cat until we could fix the problem. I could also crate train the kitty; I've done that before with a bit of success (put a litter box in a dog sized crate with the cat and plenty of food and water). As far as lessons sticking, you are probably right. Cats know they will get rewarded while you are in sight, so why spend energy to do something that won't be noticed? That's why they are good for silly pet tricks, not serious work, but for a pet, those are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apparently your not doing it right. If one is unable to spend anytime with their dog and has no clue how to train it then by all means get a cat. All these things except vaccinations and some form of containment (house, kennel, yard) are not necessary and vaccinations (which you can administer yourself) vets and containment are also necessary for cats.
I tried with my dogs what I tried with my cats, and it did not work for my dogs. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong, but I have no time, patience, or money to learn how to do it right. The problem, though, is dogs need to be trained in order to get along with people; cats don't. Since I don't have the time or know-how to do it right, I would have to enroll the dog in obedience classes. That's kind of expensive, not to mention time consuming.

Plus, housebreaking a puppy is a pure nightmare for a working person. A puppy has to go to the bathroom frequently, and if it doesn't relieve itself, it will soil its crate. I can't really leave one in the crate all day while I'm at work because of that, so I would need to let it run free so that it would have plenty of chances to do its business. In an apartment, that's an impossibility, though. The dog would have to be walked, meaning I would need to hire someone if I had a job outside of the home (and I do). My alternative, which I tried for a while, would be to just put the dog inside of a larger containment area and put food, water, and puppy pads or biodegradable litter in the crate. I tried this once. The dog used the bathroom in the containment area, but it didn't have enough sense to stay out of its own elimination, and I usually had to clean the containment area (and the dog) quite frequently. Plus, it never really learned that it wasn't supposed to use the bathroom inside. That was frustrating to me. I sometimes left food out of the crate, but I couldn't leave the dog without water all day, so there was no way for me to keep it from needing to use the bathroom.

Quote:
I put my dogs in a large kennel while Im at work, release the hounds when I get home and let them run and chase the cats, play a little fetch, fill up the dog dishes, go pick up the kids, go for a nice walk, then there are in for the night to sound the alarm if someone or something is outside.
That doesn't work for a puppy, because they have to go to the bathroom a lot, and, honestly, seem to have no reservations about going right in their crate. I've been told otherwise, but that is not my experience. Maybe it depends on the breed of dog? I put the dog in the crate, gave it food and water, and ended up with a dirty dog and crate, not what they said would happen.

Quote:
I like my cats but other than feed them and pet them on occasion there not much more going on. I want more of a companion. I like that my dog can go walking with me, trail riding with me, accompany me in the car, go swimming and camping, things cats just don't really get into. Although I did have a couple casts that like to walk the trails when I would go out.
I agree that dogs are easier to get to accompany you on those activities, and it's a little difficult to get cats into it. I would probably enjoy dogs if there weren't so many downsides. They require constant stimulation, bark until the early morning, act like you are trying to kill them if you put them in that crate (at least mine did), require walks (even when it's raining), love to bite and chase things they shouldn't, can be extremely destructive, etc.

Since I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, a cat works. If I want a little entertainment once a week, I can hook my cat up to a puppy harness and take her for a "walk," (really she's just dragging the leash. I have no say about where we go ) All of the neighborhood cats will come out trying to figure out who's on the end of the leash. It's really kind of silly and reminds me of walking a dog, only so much more fun. You never know what's going to happen. The animal at the end of your leash could take off running after a squirrel, try to climb a tree, or lie down in the middle of the path and refuse to take another step.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM

All of that said, though, I'm still open to learning how to raise a puppy the "correct" way, but I'm finding dogs a bit like Brussels sprouts at this point. No matter how many times I try them, I may just not like them. Dog ownership might be an acquired taste for some people. That sounds like a new reality show: Pet Exchange--show each other how you train, care for, bond with, etc. your animal so that we can derive the same kind of enjoyment you get the next time we get a pet...whatever animal.

Last edited by krmb; 04-22-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Well, I guess I should probably mention the downsides of cat ownership:

Cats are not as intelligent as dogs. I guess we all knew that, but in the pet setting, it is kind of hard to tell. Rover is chasing his tail, while the cat is outside chirping at the birds. The sly mimicking pussycat will never be a working animal, though, because she's not that trainable, and, although she's fascinating, she kind of lives in her own little world.

It appears that cats cannot tell the difference between food and fingers. I was feeding a group of cats once and put the wet food in my hand; that was a mistake. The cats chomped down on my hand as if it was just another piece of meat in the can. By extension, I don't trust cats around open wounds. Dogs will lick sores, but I don't know what cats will do.

They can be aggressive, especially if they are not spayed / neutered.

Cats are also extremely territorial and don't really travel well. They take a while to adjust to new surroundings.

Small injuries, usually scratches or bites, are common for cat owners. Declawing may increase the frequency of bites inflicted by the cat as well as change its temperament from docile to cantankerous. It's not recommended, and many argue it should be banned as a standard procedure, yet a fair amount of shelter cats are declawed pet cats that changed after their surgeries.

You have to interact with a cat on their terms, not yours. This pet views you as an equal, not a master.

Training a cat to do anything takes time and dedication.

Most cats carry diseases, but that's not usually a concern, unless you routinely kiss your cat in the mouth or let it have contact with your mucous membranes.

Cats are nocturnal and may play, rough, with you when you are trying to sleep.

Did I leave anything out? I actually feel kind of bad about making this list. I'm a fan of the underdog (in this case, the cat.)

Last edited by krmb; 04-22-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 06:14 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
We might end up fighting like...well, you know, over this question, but I thought it belonged here, so why not? Which one is your personal favorite? Where do you stand with the other? Why?

If this doesn't belong here maybe I misunderstood. I didn't want to put it in "pets," because I thought it was a pretty common debate even among people who don't own animals. I've read that if you are a cat person or a dog person , it says a lot about your psychological make up. It may even be a deciding factor in how you treat people, interact with peers, and view the world.
There are some cats that genuinely socialize to people. Not many. Most are there when they need you.

Dogs on the other hand have been bred to want to make people happy. They imprint on people and imitate human behavior. I have even heard of members the normally vicious breed, golden retrievers, seeking to hug people. There was an article in today's New York Times about the secretion of certain loving hormones in both dogs and men when they stare at each other. Thus the term "puppy dog eyes."

For a companion, my view, choose a dog.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM

352 posts, read 285,768 times
Cats and dogs both make great pets. I am more attached to cats and I don't find them to be aloof at all. They are cuddly, quirky, and gorgeous creatures.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Cats and dogs both make great pets. I am more attached to cats and I don't find them to be aloof at all. They are cuddly, quirky, and gorgeous creatures.
When was the last time you were welcomed home from work by a cat's wagging tail or happy barks?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:35 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When was the last time you were welcomed home from work by a cat's wagging tail or happy barks?
My wife says that my son's cat knows the sound of my car. When I drive in, it runs to my chair and waits on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates