Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times

Advertisements

Do you think that a cure for some some cancers has been held back because treatments are such a profitable business?
I know there has been progress over the years, it just seems to me that if a joint, worldwide effort could be put together, more could be accomplished in a shorter time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Another day, another conspiracy theory. Complex problems can't be "solved" or "cured" with quick, simple solutions, so go find a bogeyman to blame for the slow progress.

Cancer isn't a single disease with one cause and one manifestation or even a single disease with several causes and several manifestations. Just about every organ/system in the human body can be attacked by multiple forms of cancer that have different causes (or unknown causes), different behavior, and different survivor rates. Scientifically, we have a good handle on some cancers and not so much on others.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Do you think that a cure for some some cancers has been held back because treatments are such a profitable business? I know there has been progress over the years, it just seems to me that if a joint, worldwide effort could be put together, more could be accomplished in a shorter time period.
This doesn't even make any sense.

First, a cure is the ultimate treatment. It would make its discoverer(s) very wealthy and along with it would come fame and adoration. Why would a research oncologist, or a pharmaceutical company, care that the cure they have is going to have a negative impact on others who provide treatment in the form of chemotherapy or surgery or other therapies? That's like claiming that 'they' are suppressing teleportation technology because 'they' don't want to put airlines out of business.

Second, research these days is not some lone scientist toiling away in some isolated laboratory. Research occurs as an large-scale effort, with numerous participants in any given study. So now - even assuming that the motive made any sense (it doesn't) - you'd have to have a conspiracy of many not to go forward with the sort of development that wins Nobel Prizes.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:33 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
No.

Absolute worst case scenario, and one I don't believe for a second, is the amount of funding is slightly more limited when it comes to finding a cure because of the profit. But no, I don't think it's possible.

Just as an example, many, if not most, if not all, state universities contribute to the development of sciences. Among them would be places that specialize in pharmaceuticals and medicine. A place like that is given steady funding so long as they continue to produce any results. As in, they aren't funded by big pharma. So even if big pharma wanted to prevent a cure from being found, which again, I seriously doubt this, it wouldn't matter because there is research and development in this area being funded by groups with no real stakes in the matter.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
The problem is that there is no single disease known as "cancer". What we know of as "cancer" is one symptom (accellerated cell growth) of a vast family of different but loosely related diseases. Most of our current treatments involve fixing the symptom (removing the tumor, or chemo and/or radiation to stop the rapid cell growth).

To answer part of your question, yes, a "cure" for one specific form of cancer exists. The HP virus has been linked to cervical, penile, and anal cancer, as well as most forms of genital warts. The HPV vaccine eliminates this virus, which means its use will eventually eliminate most forms of cervical, penile, and anal cancer.

To answer your real question, absolutely not. Millions of people around the world are affected by cancers of various forms. If a cancer cure was discovered, a patented cure would make the discover the (or his company) more money than could be spent in a lifetime. And think about it... if some obliviot can find "evidence" of a cure using his laptop from his mom's basement, don't you think insurance companies could find the same evidence? Insurance companies have massive amounts of money and power. If a cure for cancer existed, they would make sure it was made public.

Ironically, the type of people who believe big farma illuminate are hiding a "cancer cure" is the exact same type of people who believe that the HPV vaccine is a government trick to... kill people or something?

10 Reasons Why Hidden Cancer Cure Conspiracy Theories Fail. – The Credible Hulk

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 07-29-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
I'd really like to believe that these "natural cures" for cancer and other illnesses had some merit, but I have tried them myself and all I got was expensive urine and a lighter pocketbook. I don't really believe that there is this huge conspiracy that people are hiding the true cure for cancer, or anything else for that matter, for the reasons that people brought up before. If someone actually came up for the cure for cancer, they would enjoy fame and a lot of money. These purveyors of alternative therapies stand a lot to gain from other's desperation and ignorance.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:11 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Do you think that a cure for some some cancers has been held back because treatments are such a profitable business?
I know there has been progress over the years, it just seems to me that if a joint, worldwide effort could be put together, more could be accomplished in a shorter time period.
It could just be a great cover, but since the studies keep going back and forth on basic things like caffeine, cholesterol, and saturated fats, I find it hard to believe there's been any cure found for something as complex as cancer.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
I'm one of many who believe that Doctors big pharm are not looking for a cure and yes it's about the money in the end much like politics it's about the money. I get that one should have hope & why some need, want to believe that their is a cure for cancer. As someone else has pointed out cancer is not just one disease and for the record I am not saying that ALL doctors are evil, money driven people. I do believe there are SOME out there who want to find a cure for this disease. Doctors talk about treatment not curing you but treatment.

I believe those who eat more foods without all the chemicals being pumped into their foods have a better chance of not getting cancer. Look up the statics though out the years say the last 40-50 years. I'm 48 and when I was younger you hardly heard about anyone getting cancer, these days you just about how someone was diagnosed with cancer. Look at the foods most people eat the obesity numbers have gone up as well. If you truly believe that this has nothing to do with cancer then in all honesty I'm not sure what to tell you.

The National Cancer institute states that in 2016 an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States and 595,690 people will die from the disease. That's just in the U.S alone.
They also claim that the number of people living beyond a cancer diagnosis reached nearly 14.5 million in 2014 and is expected to rise to almost 19 million by 2024.

Cancer is among the leading causes of death worldwide. In 2012, there were 14 million new cases and 8.2 million cancer-related deaths worldwide.
The number of new cancer cases will rise to 22 million within the next two decades.
More than 60 percent of the world’s new cancer cases occur in Africa, Asia, and Central and South America; 70 percent of the world’s cancer deaths also occur in these regions.

Cancer Statistics - National Cancer Institute

With ALL the money that we're told that a cure is coming or around the corner you would at least thing we've made better progress then just getting it treated.

This is where I stand on the subject.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Definitely!!!, and for the very reason you've said.
Course the choice is always there....you can go down the orthodox and conventional route (which doctors understand) or you can go the alternative route and blow them all away when you're cured.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:50 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Doctors will to continue to treat when they know there's no hope for the patient. If that's not medicine for profit, then what is it? I don't think there's a hidden cure, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates