Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 PM

557 posts, read 810,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
*heroin
I personally never believed the whole "gateway drug" thing. If you buy a drug from a dealer and that dealer has other drugs to sell then he/she will push those other drugs. If pot is legal, there is no reason to come in contact with other drugs and therefore no reason to take them. A person who wants to get more potent stuff is looking for more potent stuff. There is no gate.
This. Beat me to it.

Marijuana isn't the gateway drug. Illegality is. So, who are people buying it from where it's still illegal? Seedy dudes that have a lot harder, and a lot cheaper stuff to sell that is incredibly addictive and dangerous.

Haven't seen one single study that says anything about other types of substance abuse having increased in Denver since allllllll this pot is available for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 PM

60 minutes ran a piece on pot in CO over the weekend, and specifically profiled Denver.

Short, but good watch if you're interested in the info: Colorado Pot - CBS News

At the end, I wish they had also mentioned that crime has actually gone down in Denver while the population is continuing to explode.

And "overdose" is not the correct terminology for the edible "issue," at least in the context that it is understood to mean by the general public. Tourists were coming in, and eating a whole candy bar (100mg THC), instead of portioning it out. That's where the problem came in because edibles are not effective immediately and apparently some people were devouring them. The regulators took action immediately though after this initial issue was found, and edibles now (in addition to the 60 minutes info) note recommended dosage amounts, and dispensaries have information posted regarding edibles. There is no "overdosing" on them though, in the generally understood meaning. There is just getting really, really, really high. If you go to the ER, all they're going to do is ask if you want your stomach pumped. Lot cheaper to lay down and sleep it off.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:59 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
60 minutes ran a piece on pot in CO over the weekend, and specifically profiled Denver.

Short, but good watch if you're interested in the info: Colorado Pot - CBS News

At the end, I wish they had also mentioned that crime has actually gone down in Denver while the population is continuing to explode.

And "overdose" is not the correct terminology for the edible "issue," at least in the context that it is understood to mean by the general public. Tourists were coming in, and eating a whole candy bar (100mg THC), instead of portioning it out. That's where the problem came in because edibles are not effective immediately. The regulators took action immediately though after this initial issue was found, and edibles now (in addition to the 60 minutes info) note recommended dosage amounts, and dispensaries have information posted regarding edibles. There is no "overdosing" on them though, in the generally understood meaning. There is just getting really, really, really high. If you go to the ER, all they're going to do is ask if you want your stomach pumped. Lot cheaper to lay down and sleep it off.
It's kinda misleading to say crime is down. It's down in Washington too but you have to figure in the criminality of marijuana is gone. So if 1000 people were arrested for marijuana possession then 1000 are not now. It's misleading to say legalization prevents crimes but correct to say that legalization saves the state money in prison/jail stays.

I wonder how many are serving time in CO and WA for marijuana right now. Do they let these people go when it is legalized?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
It's kinda misleading to say crime is down. It's down in Washington too but you have to figure in the criminality of marijuana is gone. So if 1000 people were arrested for marijuana possession then 1000 are not now. It's misleading to say legalization prevents crimes but correct to say that legalization saves the state money in prison/jail stays.

I wonder how many are serving time in CO and WA for marijuana right now. Do they let these people go when it is legalized?
I understand the point you're making regarding statistics, but violent crime is down. I'm not presupposing an absolute direct correlation, but simply pointing out that the sky did not fall as many predicted it would. If you watch the video, you'll understand why I mentioned it in that context more clearly.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 PM

162 posts, read 155,550 times
It's a gateway drug. People can argue with me for days but I have seen too many cases of it leading to other drug use to think otherwise. People I knew split into 3 groups, non smokers, occaisional smokers and stoners. I don't know one stoner who hasn't done other drugs. Non smokers typically except for a few cases, never tried other more harmful drugs. 75% of the occaisional users tried other drugs. It's simple, where there is a party there is weed, where there is weed there are other drugs. It's legal status means nothing about the harm it causes. Alcohol is way more dangerous and it's legal so are prescription pain meds. Anything that can be ingested, even food has the potential to become addictive. I have no qualms with its legal status but I wish people would get real and realize that it's not a miracle drug. The big pharma all the pro-weed people hate so much will soon regulate their precious green too. The amount of chemicals used to make hydro.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
I understand the point you're making regarding statistics, but violent crime is down. I'm not presupposing an absolute direct correlation, but simply pointing out that the sky did not fall as many predicted it would. If you watch the video, you'll understand why I mentioned it in that context more clearly.
I agree that legalizing marijuana is an improvement. The sky didn't fall and the state is making more money on taxing it while less payment for jail time for this minor offense.

However, statistically (overall) the crime rate is skewed by the lack of arrests for marijuana offenses.

As for violent crime... marijuana users are rarely linked to them so I think the relationship is not causal.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM

298 posts, read 299,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that you're either drastically exaggerating or outright lying, but even if I tried very hard to take your story at face value it wouldn't make any sense. Your friend has an unbelievably expensive addiction and can't hold down a job or rub two dimes together? Does he hook at night to support his pot habit? How does he pay his bills if he's so addicted to pot he can't go an hour without it? He can't function as a normal adult but he still does all of the things normal adults do, just high?
Your story is BS.

It does not take a lot of money to live like a hermit and smoke all day. Having a friends and typical material possessions costs more, I assure you.

I find your disbelief of this to be BS.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
It does not take a lot of money to live like a hermit and smoke all day. Having a friends and typical material possessions costs more, I assure you.

I find your disbelief of this to be BS.
LOL that poster has never purchased marijuana. It is pretty cheap considering.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
The police report stated he was high on marijuana? How would they know that unless he confessed? A drug test doesn't tell you if you are high/impaired, just that you have smoked/ingested it recently.
The officer smelled MJ in the car and on the AH's breath, and found a roach.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Yes, I am sure your sample of 1 beats their sample of 44,284.
Zing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates