Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 AM

298 posts, read 299,428 times

Advertisements

I exaggerated to myself?

Put...the...pipe...down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
I exaggerated to myself?

Put...the...pipe...down
You exaggerated on this message board. Your story is very clearly hyperbolic.

Put...your...brain...to...work.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:38 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You claimed the driver was stoned (pot shows up in tests for 3 weeks or more after taken which doesn't mean the driver was high at the time) and I just flippantly pointed out that perfectly sober people in cars kill people. There are a lot of people who die from perfectly sober accidents every day. How do you know the driver was stoned?
Police report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Either way, you get my point... It sounded as if you were equating all pot smokers who drive to murderers.
Just those who drive while under the influence. I have no issue at all with those who don't drive while they're high.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
1) Never heard of serious lung damage, just some people with a type of asthma not tolerating it. Some have claimed it can cause lung infections, but not sure if proven & no list of symptoms. Doesn't cause lung cancer or COPD. Cannabis is a lung expectorant, allowing for expelling by cough while using, whereas tobacco paralyzes the cilia (lung cleaners), so tobacco users can't cough to expel without waiting until lung cleaners are working again. Most cannabis is grown organically, tobacco not so, so cannabis is safer. Plus it has 8 cancer fighters built-in. But it is better to vaporize the oil.

2) It increases brain cells, & none of them are defective. So far, no heads have exploded from all the extra cells not fitting. The "researchers", trying to get more business for their treatments centers, must lie to frighten people that they'll die, be mentally ill, or a useless addict for life, if they don't commit themselves. But if they don't commit themselves, there's forced commitment where law allows, or choice of jail or treatment.

For young people who start very young, like 8-12, I think there might be an increased chance of becoming a heavier user, but can't say what %. High school use is maybe 25% daily to monthly, probably varying by region. One out of 6 Americans say they use it. Some very young kids are supplied by relatives, as they don't have the money.

3) I agree with Psychological "addiction", especially when medically needed, or just finding it a good way (only way?) to relax. I call it habit-forming, with no judgment on amounts. Vaporizing cannabis oil is good for using the precise amount needed (or strongly desired), & very healthy. But they don't call it addiction when taking poison pills as directed, once to several times daily. Cannabis oil has been shown to cure cancer & other fatal illnesses, see Rick Simpson oil, or Run From The Cure video. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
It is not "harmless", but neither is it as bad as what the anti-drug-types say.

1) You are filling your lungs with smoke (ash, various chemicals). This is never ever good in the long term.

2) While the psychoactive effects have proven to be mostly harmless to adults with moderate use, several studies have proven that it can be detrimental to brain development with extensive use. Especially in youth (pre age 25 or so) whose brains are still developing.

3) It is addictive, but only after regular use. It isn't as addictive as alcohol or nicotine, both of which are completely legal for adults. The psychoactive effects aren't as dangerous as alcohol; people who are stoned don't get violent in bars or kill people on the highway.

Last edited by GJJG2012; 06-10-2015 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 01:35 AM

298 posts, read 299,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You exaggerated on this message board. Your story is very clearly hyperbolic.

Put...your...brain...to...work.

Zero hyperbole. I actually dialed it down. My friend was normal, now he can't function without getting high. His paranoia has cost him relationships with everyone and everything. It's a dependency problem by any measure. If your only argument is that I must be lying about this then I suggest you take some lessons on debating.

I'm not naive enough to think that anyone who wants to smoke pot would read my post and decide otherwise. Just as nobody would ever read yours and be persuaded to think that smoking is harmless. I've seen what it can do to people (in large quantities) and thus, do not endorse its usage.

Now go argue with someone who's actually making a debatable statement.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
Zero hyperbole. I actually dialed it down. My friend was normal, now he can't function without getting high. His paranoia has cost him relationships with everyone and everything. It's a dependency problem by any measure. If your only argument is that I must be lying about this then I suggest you take some lessons on debating.

I'm not naive enough to think that anyone who wants to smoke pot would read my post and decide otherwise. Just as nobody would ever read yours and be persuaded to think that smoking is harmless. I've seen what it can do to people (in large quantities) and thus, do not endorse its usage.

Now go argue with someone who's actually making a debatable statement.
I'm not saying or thinking you're exaggerating your story, but it sounds like the effects of someone who used the drug as a chemical enabler over a long period of time coupled with possibly some kind of mental or personal problem. I don't think what happened to your friend is anywhere near the norm for people who smoke weed.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't think what happened to your friend is anywhere near the norm for people who smoke weed.
I agree with Drake. I myself am a long term user, as are many others I know. None of them have become what you have described.

I will admit I'm addicted, but purely psychologically. There are no physical addictions to cannabis that I am aware of.

One thing to keep in mind is strains. When most of us started 40+ years ago, you smoked whatever you could get. But these days there are strains available that have specific effects. In my case I always use strains that create a "up", "energizing", and "motivating" mood. It could be that most of the "problem" users are uning the wrong strain. If you have a lazy tendency to begin with, then using the wrong strains will multiply that tendency, and you'll become the stereotypical "stoner".

While I am a daily user, I am anything but a stereotypical "stoner".

Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
A 38 yr old engineer told me for 15 yrs she smoked everyday and it
REALLY effected her memory...I had not seen her since she was 18....
knew her as a 2 yr old!
I believe her observation.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:05 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
Takes away motivation, makes people do and think stupid things (stupid is as stupid does), affects hand-eye coordination- making for dangerous drivers.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:18 AM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Takes away motivation, makes people do and think stupid things (stupid is as stupid does), affects hand-eye coordination- making for dangerous drivers.
Very uninformed and ignorant statements. Please see my post from 3 posts ago.

The brainwashing this country has endured for over 70 years has been quite effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates