Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If abortion was declared illegal what would you do to care for all the unwanted children?

Raise taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
Abortion is always wrong under any circumstance except if the woman is at risk of dying. It's immoral killing a human being and a fetus is a human being in the moment of conception. Therefore abortion is immoral and should be illegal.
So its justifiable homicide. Murdering an innocent is ok if you are at risk of dying. It is ok to sacrifice an innocent life for your own.
And should we assign SS numbers upon conception and be able to list a fetus as a dependent on our tax form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm pro-life and could justify abortion for a rape. IMO, it's still murder. I see the possibility of forcing the rape victim to continue the pregnancy as furthering the harm to the mother. That victim is already dealing with the mental and physical trauma of the rape, possible std's and a criminal trial if the rapist is caught. Giving birth to a child that was forcibly created, then forces the victim into a traumatic choice of keeping and raising and possibly resenting a child that was not created in love or putting that child up for adoption and possible mental trauma because of that. In the circumstance of rape, the victim would have the option to do what she considers best for herself.
So abortion is justifiable homicide if you were previously traumatized and the pregnancy/birth causes additional mental anguish in that you must choose between adoption and raising a child you may resent do to forced intercourse. But if you were previously or currently traumatized and have to make a choice of adoption or raising a child you may resent later in life, lose your job, have an abusive husband, divorce or are living in poverty, abortion would be murder since you consented to sex. Is it the consent or the fact that it may have been enjoyable?

Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM

854 posts, read 586,389 times
What kind of a question is this? The only places where abortion is unquestionably illegal are called third-world countries. See: The World's Abortion Laws 2016

It's actually not possible to make abortion illegal since a woman will always have sovereignty over her own body. The real question is, do we allow doctor-assisted abortions in monitored health facilities, or do we let women do unsafe back-alley abortions with coathangers that are more likely to result in her death?

The answer is, well, is America a first-world country, or a third-world one?

Again, to reiterate, it is not actually possible to make abortion illegal since women will always have access to their own bodies. If they want to attempt to abort, they will. This is why 47,000 women die every year of unsafe abortions according to the World Health Organization. Coming soon to an American hick state near you.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:02 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
What kind of a question is this? The only places where abortion is unquestionably illegal are called third-world countries. See: The World's Abortion Laws 2016

It's actually not possible to make abortion illegal since a woman will always have sovereignty over her own body. The real question is, do we allow doctor-assisted abortions in monitored health facilities, or do we let women do unsafe back-alley abortions with coathangers that are more likely to result in her death?

The answer is, well, is America a first-world country, or a third-world one?

Again, to reiterate, it is not actually possible to make abortion illegal since women will always have access to their own bodies. If they want to attempt to abort, they will. This is why 47,000 women die every year of unsafe abortions according to the World Health Organization. Coming soon to an American hick state near you.
Thank you. This is possibly the best post I have seen on abortion. My Mom, said that is exactly what happened when she was a young woman. Women were dying, from back-alley abortions, with coat hangers. If only some men would take birth control seriously and respect women, some men leave the entire process up to the gals. Keep your pants zipped, buttoned, don't get the gals pregnant and run off and leave her alone and afraid. I am sick of this always thrown out by politicians, mostly male.

Leave our laws alone.

Take more responsibility guys............takes two to tango........

Old 03-07-2016, 03:13 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
"Human life" is a morally irrelevant notion. What matters is consciousness. Fetuses are not conscious until around 26-28 weeks, thus we do not have any moral obligations to them until that time. Prior to consciousness, there is no relevant difference between a fetus and a piece of wood. Consciousness is what distinguishes mere matter from morally important matter.

If all human life was intrinsically valuable, we wouldn't be justified in "pulling the plug" on brain dead individuals.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
Not be in favor of life would be in itself a hypocritical act, since we are denying others a right that we enjoy ourselves. It would be a selfish act, since we care so much for our lives, but the lives of others we despise. Abortion is suffering for a being who did nothing to suffer. Legalizing the practice is to accept injustice against those who only crave the fair right to be born.

Abortion is not even self love, on the contrary, love consists of courage and sacrifice, and abortion is the woman assuming that she is weak and selfish, weaker than the society that will judge her for no reason. Abortion is degrading act, worse than any circumstance.

As for your dad, even if you couldn't be forced to donate him your kidney in this case, you would be held liable if he died. Woman who commit abortions should go to jail for commiting the crime of killing their fetuses.
Abortion isn't suffering for a fetus that is younger than 26-28 weeks, which is the case for almost all abortions in the US. Prior to that point, fetuses don't yet have the neural network to be conscious, and consciousness is a requirement for suffering.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Quote:
Should Abortion be illegal?
No.

My mother had abortion, the fetus was old enough for my mother to know that he was a boy, every year now, at the day of her abortion and the day in which he was supposed to be born, she pray and cry a lot, thinking she is a monstruous mother and a murderer. She got an abortion because my father didn't wanted another child (I was the third and I wasn't expected already). We never had a happy life, nor were we an happy and stable family, what I think now is that I am relieved that this little being is not here to witness all of this, the way his family is, all the pain, the violence. My mother and I barely got it together for everything, I have big health problems and I can't imagine what my brother life would have been if he were here with us.

What I think is that abortion is something necessary in many cases. Like someone else said, in case of rape. The raped woman could possibly keep the baby, and then give it to adoption, but the case still stand that this baby will have questions later for life, why did you adandonned me, why didn't you love me etc, and if she keeps the baby, there's possibilies of the mother being uncaring for her child, or not even thinking that it's her child, because this kid is the result of an horrible act, I don't know what I would do in such position, but I think I wouldn't keep the baby, it's cruel, but I prefer to end this fetus life like this than make him/her suffer later in life, knowing that I couldn't/wouldn't be a good mother, a good parent, I think something really essential in a child's life is stability, and raising a kid that brings only memory of rape, couldn't be good for the child or the mother. After if the pregnancy is life threatening for the mother, it's also sad, it's always sad, but abortion is also necessary. For the other cases, if a woman is pregnant and don't want this baby, for any (good) reasons, she should have the right to do what she wants/needs, the only thing I think about is the way the woman will lives the abortion. My mother told me that when she got abortion, the woman who took care of her looked at her like she deserved to die, this person worked in a specialized area of the hospital, where abortions are done, but she made my mother feel guilty and since then, my mother hasn't forgotten.

So, for me, the answer is "no".

edit: also agree with torontocheeka.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 03-08-2016 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 06:22 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Abortion isn't suffering for a fetus that is younger than 26-28 weeks, which is the case for almost all abortions in the US. Prior to that point, fetuses don't yet have the neural network to be conscious, and consciousness is a requirement for suffering.
You do realize that babies have been born as early as 21 weeks and survived to grow up. Is it OK to kill premature babies born before the age of 26-28 weeks, because they are not "conscious"?

Old 03-08-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You do realize that babies have been born as early as 21 weeks and survived to grow up.
Yes. Viability is irrelevant to morality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Is it OK to kill premature babies born before the age of 26-28 weeks, because they are not "conscious"?
Yes. I think there are some cases in which we should kill babies that are conscious. There are many cases in which a baby survives labor but is destined to an extremely low quality of life that will involve much suffering for both the baby and parents. I see no reason why we shouldn't kill these babies considering that we have the capability of doing it painlessly -- assuming, of course, that there are certain protocols followed to ensure the medical diagnosis is correct.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM

I should add that we regularly kill humans who are not conscious. If a person is brain dead and hooked up to life support, we remove that support. Consciousness is who we are. It's a requirement of personhood that one be capable of consciousness. When someone thinks about you, they are not thinking about the physical structure of your body. They are thinking about the pattern of experiences that come together and form our idea of a person. For fetuses prior to 26-28 weeks, that doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates