Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Yeah, I want my people to survive. Collective suicide does not appeal to me in the slightest. So to do that, we need to reproduce more. Even having 2 children is below the replacement level. So those who claim they can balance work and raising a family so easily, but only have 1-2 children, are very unconvincing to me.
The current overpopulation and resulting pollution and lack of resources are what is collective suicide. Better to have fewer humans and good quality of life for everyone than to have billions living in misery.

Last edited by CatTX; 02-12-2016 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot to quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Yeah, I want my people to survive. Collective suicide does not appeal to me in the slightest. So to do that, we need to reproduce more. Even having 2 children is below the replacement level. So those who claim they can balance work and raising a family so easily, but only have 1-2 children, are very unconvincing to me.
That's the great thing about this country. People have choices, they're not forced to do things. Women can choose whether they want to have kids or not. They can choose how many they want. They can choose if they want to stay home or have a job. Your opinion on what you believe women should do is totally irrelevant.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
I don't mind abortion as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for it.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
No one's tax dollars are paying for anyone's abortion so don't worry.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No one's tax dollars are paying for anyone's abortion so don't worry.
This! Not that you will convince him. That RWNJ in Oregon racked up six figures of our tax dollars in paying for the thousands of man-hours of FBI agent overtime mainly because he is convinced that his tax dollars are paying for abortions. No matter how many times you tell them, no matter how many women are interviewed that pay cash for their terminations...

Old 03-03-2016, 12:37 PM

17 posts, read 9,730 times
Abortion is always wrong under any circumstance except if the woman is at risk of dying. It's immoral killing a human being and a fetus is a human being in the moment of conception. Therefore abortion is immoral and should be illegal.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:14 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
Abortion is always wrong under any circumstance except if the woman is at risk of dying. It's immoral killing a human being and a fetus is a human being in the moment of conception. Therefore abortion is immoral and should be illegal.
Rape? ten kids and no father to help support? No home to give the child.. give me a break.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 9,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Rape? ten kids and no father to help support? No home to give the child.. give me a break.
Should poor people be allowed to kill their born children because they're financially unstable? Is it morally permissible? If it's not, It's just as immoral to kill a fetus because you have no conditions to raise it.

As for rape the child is totally innocent and doesn't deserve to die because of the crime of someone else. I don't know how some pro-lifers support abortion in case of rape. It's still immoral to kill a fetus that was conceived because of rape, that human life has the same value as anybody else.

For those who favor abortion in cases of rape consider this analogy--Imagine if a doctor in a fertility clinic used a woman's egg without her permission and fertilized it with his sperm and then implanted the embryo in his wife's womb and she delivered the baby. The woman who owns the eggs would have a right to kill the baby that was made without her consent?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhyanne View Post
Should poor people be allowed to kill their born children because they're financially unstable? Is it morally permissible? If it's not, It's just as immoral to kill a fetus because you have no conditions to raise it.

As for rape the child is totally innocent and doesn't deserve to die because of the crime of someone else. I don't know how some pro-lifers support abortion in case of rape. It's still immoral to kill a fetus that was conceived because of rape, that human life has the same value as anybody else.

For those who favor abortion in cases of rape consider this analogy--Imagine if a doctor in a fertility clinic used a woman's egg without her permission and fertilized it with his sperm and then implanted the embryo in his wife's womb and she delivered the baby. The woman who owns the eggs would have a right to kill the baby that was made without her consent?
What? No. The owner of the body incubating the embryo gets to choose whether to continue allowing it. The owner of the sperm has no say in whether someone else's body continues to gestate, nor does an egg donor have any say over the body of a surrogate mother. We don't even allow dead people's bodies to be used by others (e.g., organ donation, science, cadavers) without their consent. I'm personally opposed to abortion, but we don't force people to allow others to use their organs here. There is no way around it.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
We live in a representative democracy of 320+ million people. Everyone pays for all sorts of things they don't like.

Pacifists pay for bullets and bombs. People who have zero interest in every leaving the city pay for National Parks. Those without children pay for public schools and universities. Aviophobiacs who will never set foot on an airplane pay for airports. Atheists pay for the roads in front of tax-exempt churches.

It's not even remotely reasonable to think that anyone gets to 'opt out' of supporting this or that with their taxes just because they don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates