Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 09:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And FTR back before Roe vs. Wade my mother's doctor suggested a D&C when she turned up pregnant with my youngest brother because he believed she might not survive another pregnancy. Fortunately, both she and my brother were fine. There have always been doctors who would help women who truly needed an abortion. The problem has always been the ones who just want one for convenience sake.
Very slippery slope you're on. I know what it looks like when one persons "need" is judged through the clouded lens of human logic and perception. No thank you. Legal abortion without conditions, thank you. There will be some number of "convenience terminations". And? We accept that there will be some number of "senseless murders" for the sake of the 2nd Amendment don't we? I don't think the Human Race is likely to abort itself out of existence, do you? It is more likely to murder itself out of existence than it is likely to abort itself out of existence. Given that I strongly disagree that the problem has ever been "the ones who just want one for conveniences sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:43 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,796,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
No, I do not support abortion being illegal. Why? Because women are going to have them whether they're legal or not, and it's better that they are safe, legal and affordable. Because if you don't believe in abortion and you believe it is murder, that's your right. No one is forcing you to have one, but your religious beliefs should not be forced on others. Because every child should be a child who is wanted. Because my mother nearly died from an illegal abortion in 1934, and if she hadn't survived it I wouldn't be here.
So, do you likewise believe that if a man is going to commit suicide if he doesn't get a unilateral opt-out from paying child support, then this man should get a unilateral opt-out from paying child support?

Also, I strongly hope that you support making surgical castrations easier to access as well. After all, just like abortions, surgical castration can be and sometimes are performed in "back-alleys."

Old 11-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In the last couple of years there have been state laws passed which have put more burden on doctors who preform abortion, and in some states the requirements are so high that clinics have closed down. Some states make the woman see an ultrasound of the fetus. Do you support Abortion being legal or not and why.
Yes, I support having abortion be legal due to the fact that I don't consider embryos and fetuses to be persons. However, I also support giving male-bodied people a unilateral opt-out from paying child support in at least some cases.

In addition to this, though, I also think that pro-choice female-bodied people should stop whining and complaining about the risk of contraception failure. After all, the odds of an unplanned pregnancy are extremely low if 2+ forms of contraception are always simultaneously and correctly used. Plus, didn't Obamacare make at least some contraceptives completely free?

Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
So, do you likewise believe that if a man is going to commit suicide if he doesn't get a unilateral opt-out from paying child support, then this man should get a unilateral opt-out from paying child support?

Also, I strongly hope that you support making surgical castrations easier to access as well. After all, just like abortions, surgical castration can be and sometimes are performed in "back-alleys."
I'm not even sure of the point you are trying to make here. Are you? This is a discussion about abortion. You are trying to derail it with pretty unrelated side issues germane to only your personal situation.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
In addition to this, though, I also think that pro-choice female-bodied people should stop whining and complaining about the risk of contraception failure. After all, the odds of an unplanned pregnancy are extremely low if 2+ forms of contraception are always simultaneously and correctly used. Plus, didn't Obamacare make at least some contraceptives completely free?
Aren't you a virgin who plans to be castrated because it is the only reliable contraception method you can think of? All of a sudden you believe that women that simultaneously use two forms of contraception... might one of those be a condom? Or are women supposed to use both Pills and an IUD? Pills and Sponges? The debate is emotionally charged enough with just the issues on the table that we have had. Let's not lose our focus.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm not even sure of the point you are trying to make here. Are you? This is a discussion about abortion. You are trying to derail it with pretty unrelated side issues germane to only your personal situation.
He, rather than I, first mentioned the "back-alley" argument here, though.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Aren't you a virgin who plans to be castrated because it is the only reliable contraception method you can think of? All of a sudden you believe that women that simultaneously use two forms of contraception... might one of those be a condom? Or are women supposed to use both Pills and an IUD? Pills and Sponges? The debate is emotionally charged enough with just the issues on the table that we have had. Let's not lose our focus.
Frankly, I don't particularly care exactly what contraceptives women and their male sexual partners will use. Indeed, Vasalgel and a condom might work for this, as might Vasalgel and pulling out or Vasalgel and an IUD.

Of course, if women want to be paranoid in regards to this just like I am, then they are certainly more than welcome to be paranoid in regards to this. However, if they decide to be paranoid about this, then they certainly shouldn't criticize me for likewise being paranoid about this.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Abortion WAS illegal...they legalized it because women were dying having illegal abortions, with coat hangers, punctured uterus, infection, and even death of both mother and child. It was horrible.

"Late term" abortions are much rarer than the press would lead you to believe.

I wouldn't advocate that anyone should abort...but women will, if they feel the need, regardless if it's legal or not. At least it should be safe!

Old 12-09-2015, 05:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
This is me, and from my limited research matches the opinion of the majority of people. Even some people who claim to be "100% pro life" are actually in favor of early term abortions and/or abortions in the case of rape or incest.

However, there comes a point when the fetus is capable of survival outside the womb. At that point, the only thing differentiating between a fetus from a baby human is a few inches. It's purely a matter of location.

It is illegal to kill a human baby that has taken a breath; therefore it should be illegal to kill a fetus that is capable of breathing if not for the fact that is still inside the mother.

So:
Early-term: I personally consider this to be immoral, except for cases of danger to the mother (ectopic, etc.) and rape/incest. But it should be fully legal. It's a medical decision between the woman, her doctor, and her conscience.
Post viability: Illegal. If the mother waits past 22 weeks gestation (Amilla Taylor was born and survived at 21 weeks 6 days), it's too late for any "pro choice" arguments; the choice has been made. Same for "health of the mother"... if the mother is in danger of dying, do a C-section and deliver pre-term. Rape/incest? Genetic defect? You waited too late. You can't kill a 1-day-old product of rape that is the wrong color, or a 3-yr-old child with Down's, so you can't kill a fetus past the point of viability.
I agree with the above, that is my stance on abortion. If you make it early term illegal people will still do it. But if the baby can survive outside the womb it is murder if you kill it at that point.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:40 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In the last couple of years there have been state laws passed which have put more burden on doctors who preform abortion, and in some states the requirements are so high that clinics have closed down. Some states make the woman see an ultrasound of the fetus. Do you support Abortion being legal or not and why.
I support abortion because there are too many unwanted pregnancies in the world and too many people who are not fit to have children. In such cases, the child suffers for a lifetime. Better to nip it in the bud before it wrecks peoples lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates