Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 08:34 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh, no...not another gun control thread!

All I have to say is, this administration wants to disarm Americans. That is a fact. There are no more people being shot nowadays, than there ever were. But the media makes a big hue and cry about it these days, and we all know whose pockets the media's in, don't we? Sometimes, it seems that certain interests don't care what the people want...they want to ram gun control down our throats.

There's one other indisputable fact: once we lose the Second Amendment, we'll never get it back again, no way, no how. Be careful what you wish for!
"The government" is famous for thinking we all are too stupid to conduct our lives without it.

On the other hand, if I am armed, I think I would see threats everywhere....like the saying, "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I am fine with a scrupulous background checks, but again, only lawful people will get their guns that way.
Here in Savannah, there has been a record number of shootings this year. The police chief said that the perps have more guns than ever. When they make an arrest, the perps tend to have several guns. Where are they getting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 08:46 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, we are again immersed in this modern debate of spontaneous or fanatical attacks on crowd gatherings, access to weapons, and our helplessness to stop it. How do we predict the potential of an individual to decide to become a killer?
Terrorism is caused by governments and let them handle it . But school shootings can be stopped by educating the parents to behave properly at home. And more importantly teach the kids to be polite and not bullies.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here in Savannah, there has been a record number of shootings this year. The police chief said that the perps have more guns than ever. When they make an arrest, the perps tend to have several guns. Where are they getting them?
Theft and straw purchases. It's not rare for a felon to talk his girlfriend (who's never been convicted of a crime) into buying the guns for him.

Last edited by Aredhel; 12-09-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Have you read this article? Its pretty interesting...

Inside the Race to Stop the Next Mass Shooter | Mother Jones
It's been my experience that most of the talk surrounding the issues of crime prevention have one glaring fault with regard to their effectiveness and that would be the lack of funding that these types of long term surveillance programs call for. This fact has everything to do with any notions of "fixing"anything, in America.

The article points out the failing of those in police work to have the resources to conduct programs of surveillance of this type. When angry taxpayer types are constantly advocating for less of everything government they often end up with the lackluster services they then complain about. So, a shrinking police presence coupled with a rise in violence means we will have, and live, our own special brand of insecurity.

I'll stand by my contention that potential killers can't be adequately sorted out in a pre-crime scenario, and they won't be denied the weapons needed to do the job, so, that will be our fate living in a free society. It's really about freedom, up to, and including, the "right" of those who would kill us to own guns.

Note the heavy response numbers in any thread having to do with guns, guns are a big deal here in America, we won't see any change in this view of ourselves as a "well armed nation" and as a result we will have endless debating whenever madmen utilize their rights to own guns.

I'll have to add my own thoughts regarding the nonsense surrounding most gun debates in terms of guns and the use of them against government in order to have what is considered a bedrock of freedom. The fact that our freedoms have been eroded over the centuries seems to have been disregarded by those who at day's end will own guns, but may find little comfort in that when they realize that government power and abuse will grow despite the huge numbers of guns in America. I have concluded that most of America is comfortable with giving up their rights, but not their guns.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Totally agree with you, if you take away guns, they will take knives. But isn't that better at least?
Hundreds were killed with diesel fuel and fertilizer. One has to realize that in almost all of these cases the perpetrator spent weeks or months planning out what they were going to do. These aren't spur of the moment things and if gun is not available there is numerous other alternatives.

While on the topic you just need a little imagination, it's knives or specifically box cutters that people were armed with during 9/11. You can't limit peoples imaginations.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:47 PM

436 posts, read 446,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I want the President to explain to me how I am able to purchase gun over the internet, yet I cannot buy cigarets from the internet, even though i am a non smoker.
he stopped tobacco from being bought thru the net, yet guns we can get.

Im scratching my head on this???

Guns can be purchased over the internet but not directly. They are purchased and sent to a licensed dealer where the person making the purchase must pick up the gun and present authorization to purchase, i.e. carry permit or license. But, Obama is full of crap any way.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,866 times
Many years ago, before the media was psychotic, I was at a junkyard with a buddy of mine who was an off duty cop. As we pull into the junkyard parking lot (which was basically a dirt lot surrounded by woods) we saw these two black males probably in their early 20's canvassing the lot looking into each car. My off duty cop friend turns to me and says "they make it so obvious.."

So, was he profiling them, or was their behavior just so obvious that it warranted a police intervention. Anyway, we ignored it and went on our way hoping my car wouldn't get broken into. I left the windows open for them so I wouldn't have any trouble.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:09 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Totally agree with you, if you take away guns, they will take knives. But isn't that better at least? You have better chances to survives knives attack compared to a gun shot. And there is no way a single guy can kill as many people with a knife as opposed to carrying a semi-automatic. Maybe he can kill one or two persons, but certainly not dozens, which is the point.

I fully agree with all the "people kill" theory but it doesn't hurt to limit their ability to hurt as well, just in case.

The goal of futility sought by fools. Take away certain Guns and they go to the guns that are left. I don't expect anti-gun Nuts to understand. You can do more damage with a Hunting Shotgun and buckshot than you can with an AR15. In fact, is I had to be shot, I choose the AR instead of the shotgun. My chances of survival would be much greater. One shot from the shotgun and you get hit up to 9 or 12 times with a lead ball, about the same size as a bullet fro an AR15. You can shove shells in an automatic or a pump in seconds and keep firing.

Anti-Gun fools don't consider that, and if they do, you can bet that's going to be next on their list. Banning r restricting Hunting Guns t the point you will have to hunt with Spears.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I am a gun owner. I see absolutely no reason why full automatic weapons should be sold to the public.

As a gun owner, you should know that the "Public" can't buy fully automatic weapons. Gun owners have never advocated that you should be able to buy one.

Are you a "Gun Owner, or do you just own a Gun?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
But the question becomes, can we save a few lives by compromising our right to own a particular weapon? Smaller magazines? Registration? Let's keep an open mind and talk about it.

The answer to that is "NO" it won't. A person can kill just as many people, if not more, with a 12 gauge Pump or Automatic and buckshot, as one can with an AR. Which one would you rather face, if you had a choice? With the AR, you would need to empty a 20 round magazine, to put 20 projectiles in the air. I could do that with two shots from my 12 gauge pump a lot faster. If shot by the AR one time, your chances of survival are very good. With my 12 gauge pump, and No.4 or No.2 Buck, they are almost Zero.

Anti-Gun folks and the Media like to Sensationalize guns due to appearance, and the "Scary " Look, when in fact they all do the same thing just as efficient.

As Far as "Registration? Registration has NEVER saved a life of any kind, and no anti-gun person has ever come up with a way it has. So if anyone tells you it can save a life, its BS, because none of them can tell you how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates