Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
I would support a volunteer corps of those who have served(armed forces, leos, etc.) being able to carry...while wearing some sort of uniform. The normal civilian stopping a shooting is a myth.
Would you also include "normal" civilians who haven't served but who would be willing to take an equivalent training course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 01:21 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
I would support a volunteer corps of those who have served(armed forces, leos, etc.) being able to carry...while wearing some sort of uniform. The normal civilian stopping a shooting is a myth.

Maybe some thing like the Brown Shirts or Hitler Youth in Germany? Are we supposed to feel safer because some Cop or Some ex-Soldier has a gun on him all the time? If you watch the News any at all, they have their share of nut cases too.

Thanks, but no thanks. I trust myself to take care of me if needed.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It says in a peaceful manner. There is nothing peaceful about 30,000 people being killed by guns every year. It doesn't say restrictions and guidelines are prohibited and it doesn't say every idiot gets a gun.

Seems the Law we have that says you can't kill some one, was around before you got out of diapers, so why aren't you riding on that wagon? WE have free speech also, and every idiot gets to voice their opinion too, but you don't see us trying to prevent you from talking. Maybe we should have a "Restriction" against Un-American activities like trying to Destroy the Constitution.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:37 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
As I've pointed out numerous times, civilians have never stopped a shooting...
Maybe now you'll stop posting this lie as it's absolutely false.
Uber driver, licensed to carry gun, shoots gunman in Logan Square - Chicago Tribune

Old 12-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
And the second amendment is about militias, not personal gun ownership. Even if it wasn't, it is up for sane people to live on 21st century standards not 18th century.

Also the nation needs to stop being dictated my loud minorities. Most Americans don't own guns. I think only 30% of Americans own a gun or more. How is this population so powerful???

Good Grief....again. Militias where private citizens armed with their own weapons.

People ask that question because the believe the crap that anti-gun folks feed you. Its not even close to 30% but the "Sheeple" eat that figure up. Wait till they try to take them, if it comes to that, and we will see what the real figure is. Also, the MAJORITY of the entire population support private Gun Ownership. That's a fact.

Also, because the anti-gun folks are a minority of mostly nut cases who want to Ban Guns for the stupidest reasons one can imagine. "Scary Looking" is one I am fond of. How ignorant is that? Has a Compensator. Again, stupid too the core. Most don't even know what it is. Same as a "Barrel Shroud." Heck, even gun owners don't know what that is, unless they mean a "Heat Shield." None of these affect the operation of ANY Gun. That's why this "Population" is so powerful. They are the intelligent people.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think if the AR platform became unavailable, terrorists would just switch to "regular hunting" rifles and/or shotguns.

Of course they would. In fact, one can do more damage with a shotgun than a AR15. A pump shotgun with an extended magazine or one of the new Drum Magazines, with 12 gauge Buck Shot is deadlier than the AR. A 10 round Drum, with 12 projectiles in each round, makes a lot of firepower sprayed out in about 3 or 4 minutes. Faster than you could turn and run from it. The reason they anti-gunners latch on to the AR platform is because they don't know anything else. This is what they have been spoon fed by other fruit pies.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Of course they would. In fact, one can do more damage with a shotgun than a AR15. A pump shotgun with an extended magazine or one of the new Drum Magazines, with 12 gauge Buck Shot is deadlier than the AR. A 10 round Drum, with 12 projectiles in each round, makes a lot of firepower sprayed out in about 3 or 4 minutes. Faster than you could turn and run from it. The reason they anti-gunners latch on to the AR platform is because they don't know anything else. This is what they have been spoon fed by other fruit pies.
Yes, if they understood anything about guns they'd know the AR-15 is one of the wussiest rifles out there in terms of killing power. It's considered underpowered for deer hunting, and the average whitetail buck weighs around 150 pounds (the same as the average weight of an adult human). Grandpappy's deer rifle is a far more formidable killing tool than the AR-15, even if it doesn't look as scary.

And given the range of a rifle, even a bolt-action model will kill a lot of people in 3-4 minutes if the shooter just bothers to take aim (like Charles Whitman did up in that tower).

Gun laws aren't going to lower the body count that real terrorists will rack up. They intend to kill a lot of people, and they will find a way to do so, guns or no guns. Even if we could wave a magic wand and make all guns disappear from the face of the Earth forever, the terrorists can always fall back on bombs and arson...

Old 12-07-2015, 03:11 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Well when your decision might cost me or someone else their life, then yeah everyone gets a say.

Yes it would save lives. It is discussed in one of the articles I posted. When limits are put on bullets, the black market price for them skyrockets. Criminals can't afford/aren't willimg to pay $50 a bullet and also don't use them wastefully either when they cost that much.
OMG some of you REALLY don't know how this works. Many people already have enough material to reload ammo for the next 50 years. They can stop selling "bullets", powder and primers today and these people will be churning out ammo until they pass away.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Mass murders, gun control, and how do we fix it?

Well, how did we get here?

We got here by politicians being paid handsomely by the NRA to ensure that gun manufacturers made the maximum amount of profit possible. Every time a gun is sold, a politician gets a little vig in his or her Christmas stocking.

That those guns are used to kill people is of no relevance in the decision to continue legislation which ensures a constant flow of new hardware.

When will it stop?

I am guessing when we get a stadium slaughter....10,000 folks gunned down on live TV on a Sunday afternoon, or as one of the National Newspaper proffered over the weekend, when a mass shooter shows up in the senate or congress and knocks off a few dozen politicians.

THEN we will get sincere focus on the issues.

Until then? We get more of the daily killings and benign reaction from the people who are in a position to deal with the problem. For now, they are well paid and could care less that a few Americans lose their lives every day from a gunman (crazy or otherwise).
It probably will happen but it won't be a gun. It will be either explosives or gas. Maybe then they'll decide a national CCW is the way to defeat terrorists.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It probably will happen but it won't be a gun. It will be either explosives or gas. Maybe then they'll decide a national CCW is the way to defeat terrorists.
I doubt that. CCW is to protect yourself, not others, except maybe your family or someone in your immediate vicinity, like a few feet from you at most.

If a CCW licensee tries to protect others and is negligent, he/she is open to a debilitating amount of legal liability. I would sue the hell out of someone who negligently fired in my direction and wounded me or my family. A concealed carrier is not empowered to defend territory or keep the peace.

A CCW license is not a police or security badge. No one should think of it that way. If you are directly confronted or in the direct line of fire of an active shooter, you shoot back. Otherwise, you do what everyone else would do and get the heck out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates