Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times

Advertisements

As has been said many times, our weapons problem is rooted in America's long term essential conflict: the rights of the individual versus the good of the many.

Gun luvin' weirdos place individual rights over the common good. The rest of us think the common good is more important than the individual rights of a bunch of terbakie chewin' ignorant dumbo trump luvin' weirdees.

There is also the fact that since the 1940s very large arms manufacturing companies headquartered in America have become a significant part of our national economy. Textron, Honeywell, Huntington Ingalls, L-3, United Technologies, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Boeing and Lockheed Martin together employ hundreds of thousands of people, as do more than 130 other armament manufacturers based in the U.S. Their products are exported around the world, and probably are a signifcant percentage of our nation's total exports.

Weapons R Us, unfortunately.

I actually think that as we Americans become more isolationist, which has been the trend, we will become less militarily active and will manufacture fewer military grade weapons here , which should translate over time into less access to weapons in America.

But the gun luvin' individual rights crazy weirdo yokels will always be a part of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 AM

465 posts, read 418,590 times
Eliminate soft targets by adding security. I visited 3rd world countries and see armed security at ATMs, movies, etc. Its alarming but adds another layer of security.

Mental Health facilities need to be reinvigorated. Make it easier for parents and/or family to seek mental health counseling for the troubled.

Background checks are only as good as the data provided. Plus, not all whackos have criminal records before they go on a rampage(hence the need for mental health improvements). History has proven these checks are basically a wash, but these checks could be good if the system improves.

Armed cleared individuals.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:11 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh, no...not another gun control thread!

All I have to say is, this administration wants to disarm Americans. That is a fact. There are no more people being shot nowadays, than there ever were. But the media makes a big hue and cry about it these days, and we all know whose pockets the media's in, don't we? Sometimes, it seems that certain interests don't care what the people want...they want to ram gun control down our throats.

There's one other indisputable fact: once we lose the Second Amendment, we'll never get it back again, no way, no how. Be careful what you wish for!
All this arguing over background checks and crazy people and criminals and Muslims. Does it even occur to anyone in even the smallest chance that a covert group in the US govt may be staging at least a few of these mass shootings???

Look at this year alone. Almost every week there is a shooting somewhere where multiple people are killed or injured. To me, that is more than just a coincidence.

And you people that want to take the guns out of law-abiding citizens possession, pick up and move yourselves to North Korea or China. This is the USA, there would be no USA if law- abiding citizens didn't have guns. It would be a scary place if only police were allowed access to guns.

We all know the police are the epitome of sane, moral, honest, caring, and self-controlled citizens. (Notice sarcasm)

Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Things have changed. Change is needed This 30 Second Gun Control Commercial Leaves 2nd Amendment Fanatics Speechless «

Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Sure. Go ahead. Amend the Constitution, hold a Constitutional Convention, get the opinion of the USSC.............................

......................and keep in mind that firearms with interchangeable magazines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun
and rapid fire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater
predate the Constitution by 50 to 130 years.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I say enforce the gun laws we already have.

Here in Mass. we have a law that if you are caught with a illegal gun or ammo that you are not licensed for it is a mandatory one year in jail but guess what that is usually the first violation that is thrown out by the judge. Why?

If America got tough on criminals with illegal guns and threw the book at them we would probably see a reduction in violent gun related crime because the risk would be too high.

Enforce the laws we already have and throw the book at criminals who use guns. It might not reduce mass shootings but it would make the day to day gun death tally less.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:24 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
The first issue that needs to be faced up to by this country and admitted. Is the fact there is a very strange love for guns in this country. A gun culture that doesn't seem to exist outside this country. It is so strong that even the most basic law, to curb any gun is blocked by politicians. It's blocked because there is a huge following of voters that want it that way. No one is fooling me on this issue. Guns have more respect in this country than human life. Or something would have been done about this. As the NY Times said yesterday. It is a disgrace in this country and a moral outrage, that nothing is done.

For a country to not even ban gun sales to people that can't fly, that says it all. We are living in a country that is ridiculously violent, and yet we have no protection from our Gov't. Many politicians want all of us armed. As do many really odd Americans that are behind it. Going about our days carrying a gun wherever we go. Well I don't want to live in a country that has returned to the 1800's wild west. If that is how America deals with itself in this day and age. Then we have already reached the end. It is not a society even worth living in, because its become a sick failure of a society. One that settles everything by violence and doesn't look for solutions. What is known as the Ugly American.

There is no reason for Americans to own military style guns and equipment. Start there ban them. Enact the most strictest background checks we have ever had. Is another way to deal with all of this.

Most of all face the damn facts as to why, so many Americans follow the crowd. One has guns so they all have to have guns. What is one good reason anyone needs to own Assault rifles? Rifles that shoot ridiculous amounts of ammo. Why do people need them, other than the obvious we have already seen in this country. Killing people in mass shootings. Using this ridiculous 2nd Amendment baloney some 300 years later. An amendment that was written in a completely different time period. When people used muskets, and no one knew there was going to be 50 states. 50 states that quite frankly have no business all being in the same country.

It's time to get off our rear ends and do something about this. I personally will not support any politician that does not publically deal with this issue. With a plan to properly deal with this horrible issue, should they be elected. If no one deals with it. I do not vote for them. If no one deals with it. This will be the first time in my life I will not have voted. I am that disgusted with weak politicians and their followers. If all I can do is write letters to politicians with my disgust for all of this. Then so be it, that will have to be my part in this horrible problem in this country.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:08 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
When you say mass murders, do you mean like on the scale of Mexico? Panama City, Panama? Botswana? Equitorial Guinea? Nigeria? Dominica? Saint Lucia? Dominican Republic? Rwanda? Brazil? St. Vincent and the Grenadines? Dem. Republic of Congo? Trinidad and Tobago, The Bahamas, Colombia? S. Africa? St. Kitts and Nevis? Swaziland? Lesotho? Jamaica? Guatemala? El Salvador? Belize? Venenzuela? Honduras?

Because, those are the most dangerous places to live when it comes to mass murder, and most of the countries listed above either rely on American tourism dollars, or are supplied either directly on indirectly by guns provided to them by our government.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Let me ask you something, why do you want an AR-15?
The AR is the multi tool of the weapons world. I can realistically cover most of my hunting/shooting needs with one lower. I can hunt really big game with a socom or beowulf upper up to Elk in size. I can hunt medium sized game at longer ranges with my grendel or shorter fat cartridges like 7mm valkarye (sp). Then when I want I can do another upper swap for varmint hunting Coyotes or other smaller game at very long ranges.

With a number of uppers I can pretty much just have one weapons system in my safe.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:21 PM

465 posts, read 614,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
There is no correlation between gun free zones and shootings. Mass shooters chose a location for personal reasons, not for convenience. As I've pointed out numerous times, civilians have never stopped a shooting and an untrained person with a gun in a high stress situation is pretty much useless. You can scroll back to see the links I posted about it.

10 bullets in your home is more than enough to protect yourself. If you want to practice, you go to the range and purchase bullets there. Shoot off as many as you'd like, return any unused bullets to the range, then leave. It's not rocket science. That's how it's done everywhere else.
I was replying to the person who said there should be a Law limiting 10 bullets per year and each bullet tracked. Not 10 plus what you purchase at a range. Read all the dialogue first before commenting. You clearly misunderstood.

BTW...I completely disagree with you. If I want 10 bullets or 1000 that is my decision. Restricting what I can purchase saves NO ONE. You are just punishing law abiding citizens. Do you think criminals will keep only 10 bullets when they plotting evil intentions? That is naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates