Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times

Advertisements

The problem is not too many guns. The problem is too few in the right hands at the right places. These shootings invariably take place in so called gun free zones. The obvious answer is not to ban guns but to ban gun free zones. Let us defend ourselves since it's obvious that the government can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:45 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think this is what people tell themselves to cope.
This is what people tell themselves because it is true.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 PM

465 posts, read 614,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Easy solution: make them much, much HARDER to get a hold of.

* Ban all automatics.
* Ban all assault style guns.
* Single bullet shotguns only allowed. NO automatics or other types of guns can be purchased any longer.
* Gun owners only allowed to purchase 10 bullets per year.

Only allow hunters/etc/whoever passes a very thorough background check to have a singe caliber shot gun. Only allow any given person to buy/own possess 10 or less bullets. NEVER more. Every bullet will be legally accountable for.

It won't take away gun ownership totally or violate the Amendments -and 10 bullets is more than enough to protect yourself- but by enforcing VERY strict laws, at lease it would make it easier to prevent mass attacks. If you can only fire one bullet at a time before you have to stop and unload = it gives good people time defend themselves as well, and knock you out before you make it as far as shooting anyone else.
10 bullets a year? How do you expect someone to train with only 10 bullets a year. Your logic is severely flawed. I prefer my 22 to a shot gun. I don't hunt. If any what you propose became law, this law abiding citizen would become a criminal among with thousands of other Americans.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:11 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The problem is not too many guns. The problem is too few in the right hands at the right places. These shootings invariably take place in so called gun free zones. The obvious answer is not to ban guns but to ban gun free zones. Let us defend ourselves since it's obvious that the government can't.
There is no correlation between gun free zones and shootings. Mass shooters chose a location for personal reasons, not for convenience. As I've pointed out numerous times, civilians have never stopped a shooting and an untrained person with a gun in a high stress situation is pretty much useless. You can scroll back to see the links I posted about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
10 bullets a year? How do you expect someone to train with only 10 bullets a year. Your logic is severely flawed. I prefer my 22 to a shot gun. I don't hunt. If any what you propose became law, this law abiding citizen would become a criminal among with thousands of other Americans.
10 bullets in your home is more than enough to protect yourself. If you want to practice, you go to the range and purchase bullets there. Shoot off as many as you'd like, return any unused bullets to the range, then leave. It's not rocket science. That's how it's done everywhere else.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
10 bullets a year? How do you expect someone to train with only 10 bullets a year.
Monitored shooting ranges for practice (with more bullets allotted only on said premises-not to be taken off the faculty's grounds), and mandatory training with certified instructors - along with yearly drug testing and thorough psychological evaluations - or no one is allowed to own a gun. Full stop. Simple.

It is FOUL that employees are required to pass periodic drug testing to work for McDonalds, but any closeted cokehead or psychopath can obtain a gun just as long as they have a clean record within the previous 5 years.

You tell ME how it is logical for McDonalds to have stricter policy determining who can serve fries than gun licensure does. There is no excuse.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Freedom of speech is limited. Not much, but it is. The restrictions were created to protect people.
Correct, you cannot trample over the rights of others or put others at risk exercising your own rights. For example we can't yell fire in a theater, I can't shoot a gun in a theater either. These are reasonable limits.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-04-2015 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-04-2015, 07:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Monitored shooting ranges for practice (with more bullets allotted only on said premises-not to be taken off the faculty's grounds), and mandatory training with certified instructors - along with yearly drug testing and thorough psychological evaluations - or no one is allowed to own a gun. Full stop. Simple.
What is simple is to make bullets, again this is just another proposal that will place constraints on the law abiding citizen and do nothing to address the criminal element.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I'm shocked the Islamic terrorist would violate France ' gun control laws. Don't they realize they could be fined for doing that?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times
Quote:
10 bullets in your home is more than enough to protect yourself. If you want to practice, you go to the range and purchase bullets there. Shoot off as many as you'd like, return any unused bullets to the range, then leave. It's not rocket science. That's how it's done everywhere else.
Why on earth should I be forced to go to a range that would be hours away, pay someone to supervise my practice, count my rounds... And as the poster who considers herself a "goddess" of some sort suggests, put any faith into a "certified" instructor (that is rarely a stellar recommendation), when I can practice on my own property more safely and without burning all that fuel?

And define "everywhere else." lol

The problem is not guns. It is a very deep societal sickness. Guns are the low hanging fruit for those who don't want to face what is going on in US society and the broader world.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,574,120 times
Quote:
You have reading comprehension issues.

Where did I say ANYTHING about going after cars and booze (both of which ARE regulated by the way)? .

The examples you listed using MADD as a reference is where. You used MADD as th example of how Gun Control could work. A BOGUS Comparison. MADD went after "Drivers" not the Cars or Booze, which is what guns would be if your using their tactics as the example. Just can't get that in your head, can you. You folks have all these "Bogus" ideas, and want others to think you know what your talking about, yet have a zero solution other than going after Innocent Gun Owners. Good thing we have learned to ignore you and just say "NO" to anything you want.

Cars and Booze are regulated, but not in the idiotic way the anti-gun Goobers want to regulate them. Can you imaging banning a Car because it looks Scary? or a Bottle of Booze because it has a carry handle? That's what it would be if you had the anti gun crowd doing it. Hilarious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates